Sunday october 14th, Scottish nature flight

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
Tobus75
Senior Airman

Sunday october 14th, Scottish nature flight

Post by Tobus75 »

Startup and system check 1800utc, take off 1830utc. Set sim at real time -12hrs, real weather at that moment (unless it turns to crap). Orbx Scotland highly recommended but not necessary.

click for bigger picture

We will start up at EGPG, Cumbernauld, a small GA field south of Stirling, Scotland.
From there to Stirling, recognizable by its twisting river and Castle Stirling on a hill overlooking the town.

From there we turn west ward towards Loch Lomond and the Trossachs national park.
Point of turning is lake Menteith, towards the NW, loch Katrine.
Following loch Katrine westward to the town of Stronachlachar, then SE over loch Chon and Loch Ard, then SW again towards loch Lomond.
N over loch Lomond, passing Ben Lomond (3196ft) on the left.

At the end of loch Lomond, where the river Falloch splits west and east, we go West again, to the very norhtern tip of loch Awe and Kilchurn castle.
Then a quick NW then W, over a 2000ft pass and passing Ben Cruachan (3694ft), until over loch Etive, turning North again.

At the top end of loch Etive we go west again and passing Ben Sgulaird (3074ft) on our left hand side.
Rounding Ben Sgulaird we head SW again, over the outer reaches of loch Creran. Where the A828 bridges over loch Creran, we turn west, following the A828 until we reach the coast and spot Castle Stalker (monty python fans will know this one as the Castle Aaaaaaaarrrrgghhhhhh :D ).

From here we go 10nm SSW to the small harbor town of Oban, opposite the isle of Mull and known as "the Alaska of the UK" and it's single malt scotch whisky.
From there we turn nortward again to land at EGEO, North Connell.

Total distance 108nm so I suggest taking the T6.
After this trip of just under 1 hour we could extend over the Hebrides or follow loch Ness to Inverness if we want to.
Last edited by Tobus75 on 10 Oct 2018, 03:51, edited 1 time in total.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Sunday october 14th, Scottish nature flight

Post by Paughco »

Brilliant! I will be there! Looks like fun!

My wife and I toured England, Wales, and Scotland in 1994. We were in a peppy little car, using the Rick Steves tour book and some really huge maps. We stayed in Oban for about three days. It is a really cool place! We almost drove from Oban up to Aberlour.

If we go for the short run I'll take my T-6; if we go for the longer run I'll take my Spitfire.

Seeya
ATB

Tobus75
Senior Airman

Post by Tobus75 »

T6 ... also a good fit!

Corsair015
Senior Airman

Post by Corsair015 »

Sounds great! I don't have the spitfire, so I guess a RAF mustang will have to do!
BTW, did anyone ever read the Tintin comics? does Loch Lomond ring a bell?
ImageImageImage
Corsairs Forever!

Tobus75
Senior Airman

Post by Tobus75 »

I guess for speed comparison we should all fly kinda the same plane or performance.

I say we use the T6. Not having that one can take another one, with the notion that Spit or Mustang are way faster than the rest. I'll change in the top post accordingly.

bundi
Airman First Class

Post by bundi »

Startup and system check 1800utc, take off 1830utc. Set sim at real time -12hrs,
Not sure, if fully understood that. Takeoff is at 1830utc real time, in sim it will be takeoff at morning 0630 time...?

To connect, we need JoinFS and connect to hub The Skaypark and just load flight... Or anything else..?
Could we, get .pln file of flight plan?

Tobus75
Senior Airman

Post by Tobus75 »

bundi wrote:
Startup and system check 1800utc, take off 1830utc. Set sim at real time -12hrs,
Not sure, if fully understood that. Takeoff is at 1830utc real time, in sim it will be takeoff at morning 0630 time...?

To connect, we need JoinFS and connect to hub The Skaypark and just load flight... Or anything else..?
Could we, get .pln file of flight plan?
Afirm on the time.

On online thing: set up flight and connect to joinfs, Skypark server, for seeing one another; and Discord, A2A channel, for voice.

On flight plan: no, either set up according to the plan above, or just follow the rest ;-)

bundi
Airman First Class

Post by bundi »

One more question? I have no T6 and Spitfire in my fleet. Will I see those who will fly with them and how will they look like...?

Tobus75
Senior Airman

Post by Tobus75 »

bundi wrote:One more question? I have no T6 and Spitfire in my fleet. Will I see those who will fly with them and how will they look like...?
You will see them in the craft in your lib you replace them with. You can do so in general settong or by replacing them individually in the aircraft screen in joinfs. Make sure discord works, we can talk you through it (one of the reasons we take 30min runup).

bundi
Airman First Class

Post by bundi »

I'll manage with replacements in JoinFS, I read the manual... Takeoffs begin at 18.30 utc, so to all planes takeoff, takes probably about 15 minutes or more...?
I'm asking this, because I'll probably takeoff last - my daughter goes to sleep at about 18.30utc (I live in GMT+2) and we have prebed routines... :)

Tobus75
Senior Airman

Post by Tobus75 »

bundi wrote:I'll manage with replacements in JoinFS, I read the manual... Takeoffs begin at 18.30 utc, so to all planes takeoff, takes probably about 15 minutes or more...?
I'm asking this, because I'll probably takeoff last - my daughter goes to sleep at about 18.30utc (I live in GMT+2) and we have prebed routines... :)
Not a problem. The core bunch span in timezones from California to Germany, so the 1830utc is a great guideline, but we have stragglers or early birds now and then.
All in good fun!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Might try and join today, will depend on a few other things coming together. Either way, have fun in the virtual skies peoples! 8)

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

What a fantastic route, hoping I can make it.

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

lazyeight
Airman

Post by lazyeight »

This is Lazyeight and I am online with JoinFS but no more information. Can someone help?

Sorry I missed the flight. Turns out my Discord was messed up and I could not talk to anyone. This morning I deleted Discord and did a reinstall of it and hope to be able to connect with some of you in the future. JoinFS seemed to work and I was able to see another plane sitting next to me but could not communicate.

Cheers,
Lazyeight
Last edited by lazyeight on 15 Oct 2018, 12:01, edited 2 times in total.

Tobus75
Senior Airman

Post by Tobus75 »

What a great flight and the biggest turnout yet. 9 Pilots joined, filling the skies over Scotland with rumbling radials.
After the planned flight we all switched to Spits or Mustangs and flew fast and low over Loch Ness to Inverness.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”