Spitfire taxis round in circles

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Peter32427
Airman Basic

Spitfire taxis round in circles

Post by Peter32427 »

Hi Guys,

I have flown earlier versions of your Spitfire with great success. However I've recently had to completely re-install P3D and your Spitfire.

I have a serious problem with taxiing! At slow speeds, if I do, for example 'right rudder', it turns to the right, but when I centralise the rudder pedals, the Spitfire keeps turning, and left to its own devices will just keep taxiing in circles, even though the view of the rudder appears centralised!

The Spitfire will 'snap out of it' by applying left rudder, but by centralising the pedals I would expect it to assume a vaguely straight taxi.

I'm running P3D v4.5.12.30293 with Accu-sim version 19.5.24.0.

In the sim, I'm using FSUIPC to control all the rudder pedals etc, with all the joy stick controllers disabled in P3D.

In FSUIPC, with the rudder pedals centralised, it shows 0 in and 0 out, compared with the maximum values of +/-16380, so it appears that FSUIPC is sending the right messages to P3D.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Peter

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Re: Spitfire taxis round in circles

Post by bobsk8 »

Peter32427 wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 14:38 Hi Guys,

I have flown earlier versions of your Spitfire with great success. However I've recently had to completely re-install P3D and your Spitfire.

I have a serious problem with taxiing! At slow speeds, if I do, for example 'right rudder', it turns to the right, but when I centralise the rudder pedals, the Spitfire keeps turning, and left to its own devices will just keep taxiing in circles, even though the view of the rudder appears centralised!

The Spitfire will 'snap out of it' by applying left rudder, but by centralising the pedals I would expect it to assume a vaguely straight taxi.

I'm running P3D v4.5.12.30293 with Accu-sim version 19.5.24.0.

In the sim, I'm using FSUIPC to control all the rudder pedals etc, with all the joy stick controllers disabled in P3D.

In FSUIPC, with the rudder pedals centralised, it shows 0 in and 0 out, compared with the maximum values of +/-16380, so it appears that FSUIPC is sending the right messages to P3D.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Peter
Did you run the updates? Just a guess.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Peter,

The tail wheel in the Spit isn't mechanically linked to the rudder. Instead, it's a 'free castoring' design, so to reverse the direction of a turn you'll need to straighten up with some opposite rudder and/or differential brake input as you mentioned.

Before you start your take-off run, you should move forwards slightly to make sure the tail wheel is straight. However, in practice FSX/P3D will straighten the tail wheel whenever the aircraft comes to a complete stop.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Nick - A2A wrote: 31 Aug 2019, 17:01However, in practice FSX/P3D will straighten the tail wheel whenever the aircraft comes to a complete stop.
Bummer! Now you tell us. I've been shuffling forward to get the tailwheel straight since day one. :roll:
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”