No real sound from Spit wheels on runway....?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: No real sound from Spit wheels on runway....?

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I'm glad to hear you're all sorted. I haven't thought about the auto rudder from your describtion either. Sorry. Anyways you caught it so all is well now I hope.

I totally missed that post before :roll:
BILL1949 wrote:Piper - Wow! Licence at an age when I was only getting cable breaks!! Well done. What do you pilot nowadays? I can't see me affording to get PPL (& then affording to keep up the hours). But I really enjoy the P1 seat when I get a b/day 'fun' lesson :D
I did eventually move on from gliding (which I still dearly enjoy) to a motorglider, then on to Ultralights and a few years ago I got my PPL which I really enjoy. I never made a career out of flying though. It's "just" my hobby. My favorite plane is a 1954 Piper Super Cub (which used to be a L18C with the German Air Force). If you want to fly you should really try to do it. I never regret any money spend in a plane :wink:

Happy flying!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

BILL1949 wrote:That'd be great - cheers Piper.
Alright Bill. I couldn't find a video with a Spitfire where this curved approach I was talking about is seen, but here's a video from FlightChops where Steve practices landings in a Boeing Stearman. They do several landings in this video. Watch how they go from downwind to final. They don't fly a rectangular pattern as you would in a modern GA airplane. They do a swooping turn from downwind to final. This way the runway is always visible to the pilot until short short final. The flair still will be done "blind" or better to say only with peripheral vision.

Anyways. I was talking about a Spitfire video. So here is a Spitfire video. You just gotta love that sound!!

Take care!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Spitfire vid - amazing sight - amazing sound. Thanks for that Piper.

Some years ago I was at Duxford when they got together 24 Spits for the 1st time. They took off sort of in threes, but you heard each one then all three. Then they all formed up & the whole 24 flew over. Fantastic. Puts a lump in your throat.

Some years before that I was at a North Weald air show. There was a single spit doing a display. As it dived & then climbed steeply, the sight & sound made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Powerful feeling. So emotional, like a fond memory. I decided that if there was such a thing as reincarnation I MUST have 'bought it' in one of those planes.

Checked out the FlightChops vid too. It actually looks as though it should feel more natural to curve... Hopefully, I'll eventually be able to land that way.

01:11 - but one circuit in my IIB before turning in.....
A2A Spitfire, A2A Cherokee
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Ok Bill, try this...Classic Run and Break.

Start by overflying the strip at relatively high speed and at almost ground level.

Pull up at the end of the strip into a high G turn ending at 180 odd MPH and 800-1000ft AGL and on a reciprocal heading.

TRIM

Moderate throttle to reduce speed to about 160mph half way down strip and lower gear (a little earlier in the Marque I to allow time to pump down the gear.

RETRIM

Speed will now have dropped to 120mph or so.

Radiator shutter full open.

RETRIM

Turn onto the base/final curve with a descent rate of about 800-1000 so that your nose is about pointing at the threshold.

As you enter the last half of that turn (onto "short final") drop flaps

RETRIM

Now at 80-90 mph in a relatively steep descent, keep aimed at threshold. Almost close throttle and adjust angle to maintain descent rate.I trim again here but takes a bit of practice to fit everything in!!

Speed bleeds to 70-80mph "over the fence", close throttle and raise nose to three point attitude as you approach the ground.

Then as my instructor used to say "Hold off, hold off, hold off"

Then as my instructor used to scream "No, no, no... hold off you moron, you bang my nose wheel and I'll have your guts for garters.... you useless deviant, I've never taught such a ham fisted klutz, why don't you try scrabble instead of flying and save us all the trouble of scraping you off the tarmac and sending you home to your severely lacking in judgement wife you **&%^&**&^ (*&&^^&%&*(^&^&&*(()(((...." ...

(Granted that was only three or four times :) :) )
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Ha-ha-ha!! Kill-r, I think u're as nuts as me - great stuff! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The last para I FULLY understood. :D The stuff before that is gonna take a LOT of re-reading to try to get the gist of it - and about 100 times that in attempting to DO it!! What's 'AGL'? (See - my ignorance.)
My maintenance/repair crew are gonna want overtime for this! Remember that thing about walking & running? Well I'm still just about elbowing myself onto one side (the start of a roll, I guess).

................Oh, 'ang-on, 'ang-on a minute - you've actually got (or you're now gonna MAKE) a VID of you doing this, in your Spit, for me to actually SEE what you mean - right.....? :wink:

But - you've set a task that I'll eventually set out to complete (once I fully understand what it is).

Thanks for that belly-laugh sir - I'd really better turn in now (03:26).
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Ok,

Here you go! This is whith the old Spitfire but the pattern and theory are just the same...except the roll after the high speed pass...not recommended :)

AGL.. above ground level.

https://youtu.be/TVfeiBX7Aww

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Nice video Killratio! I love the little extra monitor on top that simulates the rear view mirror!

Well this maneuver has obviously more ramp appeal (not that you need anymore when arriving in a Spitfire) I would start practicing that curved final approach first though Bill. :wink:

Also the speeds you're recommending seem to be pretty low for me:
Killratio wrote:you enter the last half of that turn (onto "short final") drop flaps

RETRIM

Now at 80-90 mph in a relatively steep descent, keep aimed at threshold. Almost close throttle and adjust angle to maintain descent rate.I trim again here but takes a bit of practice to fit everything in!!

Speed bleeds to 70-80mph "over the fence", close throttle and raise nose to three point attitude as you approach the ground.
I usually (if the runway length allows of course) aim for 110-120mph on final slowing down to 100mph over the threshold. I seem to recall that those are the recommended speeds from the manual but I'll have to check and verify that.

The speed won't be a problem because those flaps/speed brakes slow the Spit right down when flairing and reducing the power to idle. Also the higher speeds will make it easier for you to maintain low engine temps because you get more cooling airflow. Of course you'll have to make the approach a bit steeper. Don't "drag" the Spit to the runway with high power settings. That's just gonna make her boil :)

70-80mph is awefully close to stall speed (if not stalling already). I'll have to give this technique a try.

Great stuff guys

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Piper_EEWL wrote: 70-80mph is awefully close to stall speed (if not stalling already). I'll have to give this technique a try.
Cheers Mate!

And sorry, I fly the Mk I almost exclusively these days.. for the Mk II add 5 mph to the over the fence speed..still below the manual figures of 80-90 but THEY allow for a margin of error and are designed to accommodate a "range" of "capabilities" (ask me how I know ;) ) Also, my definition of "over the fence" is based on a small airstrip, not an International Airport. So coming "over the fence, you are down to about 50ft...you could also say "before roundout" .

The 100mph final approach speed you are thinking of is for a flapless landing.

Stall Speed Mk I 63mph "dirty", , MkII 64mph "dirty" Aim for a touchdown speed of 65mph ideally.

Correct about not dragging her in...every landing in the Spitfire should be practically a glide approach profile. But 100mph on my definition of "over the fence" will lead to excessive float. The Spitfire maintains excellent controllability right down to the stall speed. Which is, of course, a double edged sword and did kill two guys in the TR9 a few years ago.

Best regards

Darryl

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Killratio wrote:And sorry, I fly the Mk I almost exclusively these days.. for the Mk II add 5 mph to the over the fence speed..still below the manual figures of 80-90 but THEY allow for a margin of error and are designed to accommodate a "range" of "capabilities" (ask me how I know ;) )
80-90 would be more comfortable for me in low wind no turbulence conditions. And especially considering if one is still in training 100mph would for sure be on the safe side. Which is nice because speed = life (in aviation at least :wink: ). And I totally know why they build in those margins. I had to use them too :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Killratio wrote:Also, my definition of "over the fence" is based on a small airstrip, not an International Airport. So coming "over the fence, you are down to about 50ft...you could also say "before roundout".
I'm using the awesome freeware Duxford scenery a lot with the Spitfire and though it's not an international airfield there's plenty of runway (even the gras strip) for the Spitfire. I don't think that nowadays a Spitfire would operate out of short runways in real life anyways. They're way to valuable for risking landing and takeoff accidents. But considering what you define as over the fence 80-90mph are what I would aim for too probably.
Killratio wrote:The 100mph final approach speed you are thinking of is for a flapless landing.
That might be true :wink:
Killratio wrote:Stall Speed Mk I 63mph "dirty", , MkII 64mph "dirty" Aim for a touchdown speed of 65mph ideally.
If the stall speed dirty is 64mph 70mph is pretty slow on final. But of course you don't want to go to fast either. I guess 80mph is a good final speed and gives you some margin. Keep in mind that the published stall speeds are in standard atmosphere with an aircraft that's performing perfectly!
Killratio wrote:Correct about not dragging her in...every landing in the Spitfire should be practically a glide approach profile. But 100mph on my definition of "over the fence" will lead to excessive float. The Spitfire maintains excellent controllability right down to the stall speed. Which is, of course, a double edged sword and did kill two guys in the TR9 a few years ago.
That's what I'm talking about! So for someone in training some added safety is never wrong!

Great conversation here!

Happy flying
Sebastian

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Piper_EEWL wrote: 80-90 would be more comfortable for me in low wind no turbulence conditions. And especially considering if one is still in training 100mph would for sure be on the safe side. Which is nice because speed = life (in aviation at least :wink: ). And I totally know why they build in those margins. I had to use them too :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I don't think that nowadays a Spitfire would operate out of short runways in real life anyways. They're way to valuable for risking landing and takeoff accidents. But considering what you define as over the fence 80-90mph are what I would aim for too probably.

Keep in mind that the published stall speeds are in standard atmosphere with an aircraft that's performing perfectly!

So for someone in training some added safety is never wrong!

Great conversation here!

Happy flying
Sebastian

G'day Sebastian,

The problem with margin of safety is that it is easy to get into danger simply by trying to build in too much. The Spitfire has two overriding features that affect the final stages of landing

1 It continues to fly well (ie, float) and has very good controllability, right down to the stall .... due to the eliptical wing.

2. It has ground clearance of 7 odd inches on the airscrew in flying attitude, making it essential to land as close to a three point attitude as humanly possible. Fortunately 1 above makes this reasonably easy with some practice.

If you carry too much speed on short final you are faced with a long, slow, nose high float/bounce/float which can not be addressed with forward stick or you will balloon badly, can not be adressed with power to hold up the nose due to torque and other effects and the risk of floating even more...can not be killed with sideslip because you are too low, can not be fixed by retracting flaps partially because they are single stage... and finally, due to having to hold three point attitude, can lead to a stall at considerable height.

Next add the risk of wind gusts, turbulence etc which on a low, slow, nose high aircraft, can be "sub optimal" :) :) Having had that very experince whilst learning to fly the Tiger moth, I can vouch for its undesirability!!

Of course the Tiger is recommended to be "Wheeled" in any sort of turbulence/wind but with the Spitty, that is not an option. I shudder everytime (often) I see it in FSX videos because in the real world such a pilot would never be allowed near a Spitfire again.

Have a look at the below video of the "perfect" Spitfire landing and then imagine carrying an extra 10-15mph with attendant float, in even those fairly benign conditions...watch the stick and rudder work to keep her straight! Would you really want to give the wind an extra three or four goes at bending your aircraft?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3YuwerLCQ

It may interest you to hear that John Romain begins finals in the Mk I at 90mph and flares at 75mph... pretty much on the upper limits of my suggestions. He has the luxury of long runways and the experience to handle windgusts.

Oh and just a small point on stall speeds and "standard atmospheres"... the stall speed is indicated and therefore holds for any pressure height, meaning that a hot day/cold day/stormy day etc will make no difference to the speed on the ASI at which the aircraft stalls. What will vary is ground speed but that will not, of course, affect your handling...just the length of runway potentially used.

And yes, a very interesting discussion thank you! I know the whole team here are VERY proud to create aircraft worthy of such indepth and realistic analysis.

Very best

Darryl

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi Darryl,
Killratio wrote: The problem with margin of safety is that it is easy to get into danger simply by trying to build in too much.
That's true. But a to small margin of safety is also dangerous. The right balance is the key to success I guess :wink:
Killratio wrote:Have a look at the below video of the "perfect" Spitfire landing and then imagine carrying an extra 10-15mph with attendant float, in even those fairly benign conditions...watch the stick and rudder work to keep her straight! Would you really want to give the wind an extra three or four goes at bending your aircraft?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3YuwerLCQ
I've seen that video before and it's a really good shot. From looking at the footage though the pilot in this landing was battling some gusting crosswinds. That always makes taildragger landings well interesting I'd say :wink: :lol: . Of course the low ground clearance of the prop doesn't help.
Killratio wrote:It may interest you to hear that John Romain begins finals in the Mk I at 90mph and flares at 75mph... pretty much on the upper limits of my suggestions. He has the luxury of long runways and the experience to handle windgusts.
I'll give that a try the next time I pull the Spitfire out of the hangar. Thanks for the advice.
Killratio wrote:Oh and just a small point on stall speeds and "standard atmospheres"... the stall speed is indicated and therefore holds for any pressure height, meaning that a hot day/cold day/stormy day etc will make no difference to the speed on the ASI at which the aircraft stalls. What will vary is ground speed but that will not, of course, affect your handling...just the length of runway potentially used.
You're right of course. Stall speed is dependent on the indicated airspeed (sorry :oops: ). Which is why we can rely on our ASI's in general aviation concerning to stall limitations. The true airspeed is a different story. That proofs again that one should think before one speaks (or posts in that case) :roll: :oops: !

I agree with you that the simulations are so realistic that we start real world aviation related discussions about our sim planes in depth. A2A can be proud of achieving that!

Happy flying

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Killratio/Piper
I wouldn’t pretend to be able to follow your conversation fully – but I enjoyed reading it.

Well, ready or not I decided to give the R&B a try – but excluding various luxuries (eg - trimming…), and including various ‘other ways’ of doing it (AKA - ‘mess-ups’).
Recorded these 2 attempts so that maybe I can improve (…?) & review my progress against them at a later date.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN2HIb58kpM
....if you're inclined to view/comment.
For some reason, 1080 HD wasn't initially selectable...... is now.

Take-offs from Andrewsfield UK, R&Bs over Stansted UK.
I wanted to show speeds etc all the time - but sometimes got a bit preoccupied with the task.

My own observations, which might be right or wrong (& too numerous to list all here, but mainly):

R&B 1:
Take-off @~ 5min mark
Run start @~12min mark
• too slow on the run
• too hard on the pull-up
• incorrect speeds after turn
• not enough distance from runway after turn
• flaps applied too late (too fast over threshold – but only by ~40mph….)
• ….if only I’d got my gear down……. :oops:
Instead of clicking the gear lever I hit my dedicated ‘Gear’ button on my stick – but I think I must’ve hit it twice – so gear went up…? (& yes, I didn't notice on gear indicator.)

R&B 2:
Take-off @~ 21min mark
Run start @~25min mark
• Better run speed
• Run drifts from above runway
• Better pull-up
• Possibly better speeds after turn
• Too late with flaps (again) - (too fast over threshold – but only by ~60mph….this time)
• Gentle touchdown :) :)
• Didn’t boil :)
• Think I controlled FRaps OK :)
• Definitely enjoyed the whole thing :) :) :) :)

The + side is that it can only get better (I hope) :|
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi Bill,

thanks for sharing that video. I've watched it.

Some remarks if you don't mind!
BILL1949 wrote:R&B 1:
Take-off @~ 5min mark
Run start @~12min mark
• too slow on the run
• too hard on the pull-up
• incorrect speeds after turn
• not enough distance from runway after turn
• flaps applied too late (too fast over threshold – but only by ~40mph….)
• ….if only I’d got my gear down……. :oops:
Instead of clicking the gear lever I hit my dedicated ‘Gear’ button on my stick – but I think I must’ve hit it twice – so gear went up…? (& yes, I didn't notice on gear indicator.)
Your observations are mostly correct.
1. Your approach to the run was to shallow which resulted in a low speed.
2. The pull up was way to abrupt and violent.
3. The turn was very steep and put you to close to the runway.
4. If you tell a police officer that you were "only" 40 mph over the limit what's he/she gonna say? :wink: :lol:
5. Don't worry I forgot the gear before (in the sim only thankfully)

But other than that I've noticed that your engine started to boil over around 10min into the video. And you landed with the plane on fire. Two things:

Firstly was your radiator open? At 4:30min and 17min I see you closing the radiator fully. Why??? Forward is open = what you want for takeoff and climb. On the second run you opened the radiator back up. I don't see where but you did.
And secondly the Spitfire doesn't like low and slow. So if you're going low go fast. At least 180mph (you were only going 160 for most of it)! After takeoff accelerate to 180mph as fast as possible. Then you pull the power back. Don't pull the power back before hand and then stay slow. Speed = more air trough the radiator = more cooling! Watch those temps. If the coolant exceeds. 120°C you're in trouble. I personally set my limit to 110°C. If I reach that I take action (either go faster or open the radiator). Remember a burning plane is never good :wink: :mrgreen:
BILL1949 wrote: R&B 2:
Take-off @~ 21min mark
Run start @~25min mark
• Better run speed
• Run drifts from above runway
• Better pull-up
• Possibly better speeds after turn
• Too late with flaps (again) - (too fast over threshold – but only by ~60mph….this time)
• Gentle touchdown :) :)
• Didn’t boil :)
• Think I controlled FRaps OK :)
• Definitely enjoyed the whole thing :) :) :) :)
Well that second run was so much better. Impressive learning curve. Very good. Stansted might have a bit long of a runway to do the run down the full length. Maybe try breaking/pulling off at the middle of the runway.

Very nice flying though.

Thanks for sharing the video with us and I hope you don't mind my commentary. :)

Happy flying.

BILL1949
Airman First Class

Post by BILL1949 »

Au contraire Piper - I really welcome & value your comments. Thank you.

I will try to take it all on board, alongside my own obs which you agree to be correct.

The Radiator flap....
Mmmm.... I was just trying to be 'responsible' sir. I figured that the longer the vid, the more tea you might drink while watching - and possibly therefore more accompanying biscuits - and we can't have that :) .
So (tho' not standard procedure) I closed the flap to enable a quicker warm-up and therefore a sooner take-off and a shorter vid (so less tea & biscuits).
...But it was opened again just before each take-off (at 5:18 & 20:55) :) .

At the time, I hadn't noticed that the engine was getting that hot - so it's good that you pointed it out, and it's clearly down to my lack of observation in flight, & bad flying... :(

....But I didn't actually land with the plane on fire - it was on fire because I landed :lol: (with gear up :oops: ).

Thanks again for watching, and for your comments. I'll keep at it.
CH Pro Pedals
TrackIR

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hehe thanks for watching out for our weight Bill :wink: :D Sorry but I must have missed you opening the radiator flap again :oops: . The Spitfire warms up pretty quick even with the radiator flap fully open. If you opened it before takeoff or taxi that shouldn't be a problem though. Just make sure you don't forget!

And I've just rechecked the video. The engine catches fire at 15:26. You're still airborne at that time (just barely but still). The fire is due to overheating.
BILL1949 wrote:At the time, I hadn't noticed that the engine was getting that hot - so it's good that you pointed it out, and it's clearly down to my lack of observation in flight, & bad flying... :(
Don't be so hard on yourself! In my opinion you have some solid flying skills. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to take off and land the Spitfire again. And keep in mind the Spitfire is not a training aircraft it's a WWII fighter. Naturally they're not to most easy bunch to fly :wink: You just need to work some on your procedures and make sure to keep an eye on those gauges. And most importantly enjoy the flying :)

I'll be looking out for more of your videos then.

Happy flying
Sebastian

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”