Proper sitting height in Spit

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
iflygary
Airman First Class

Proper sitting height in Spit

Post by iflygary »

Ok,
So I've looked thru the forums and can't find anyone else who has posted this issue so I'm wondering if it's just me. I have EZDok as well as TrackIR as I'm sure most others on here have. The problem that I face( and it only seems to be in the Spit) is no matter where I position my eyeview, if I turn either right or left, at some point I'm going thru the glass. The only way around this is to place my eye point so low into the seat, however doing so makes it difficult to see over the panel. Any suggestions????

Gary

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Re: Proper sitting height in Spit

Post by Mikenor »

Hi Gary, same problem here. Would love to see a fix!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iflygary
Airman First Class

Post by iflygary »

Mike thanks for the reply. So I'm glad I'm not the only one that has this issue and yes I hope there is a fix for it. Because of this, I don't fly it. I enjoy all of their other products but this kills the "realism" for me. :(

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Guys - the truth is the Spitfire does have a rather small and cramped cockpit. Much more so than something like a P-51.

Having said that, as an EZdok (though not TrackIR) user, I've adjusted my eyepoint in the 'aircraft.cfg' file slightly (as I do with most aircraft). In this case, I made my viewpoint somewhat lower and further back using the following edit:

Code: Select all

[Views]
//eyepoint=-5.0,0.0,2.0 original values
eyepoint=-5.13,0.0,1.89 //edited values
With these values, and with a +ve 'eyepoint shift' in the EZdok *.ini file (3D_PAN_SENS_X=0.0004: i.e. my eyepoint moves to the left slightly as I turn my head to the left), I don't find my viewpoint passes through the canopy. If using TrackIR instead, I guess it's a case of not moving your head laterally too much to avoid 'bumping' it on the canopy.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes we wont 'fix' this as it would mean changing the accurate geometry of the Spitfire cockpit to morph it into something it isn't. TrackIR and Ezdok allow you to move outside of the confines of the cockpit so the issue isn't at our end if indeed there is an issue as moving ones head outside the confines should indeed result in funky effects as you move outside of the cockpit. The cockpit as noted is one of the smaller ones so one must limit yourself within its confines if using software that allow you to go beyond the standard operation of the simulation.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Lewis - A2A wrote: TrackIR and Ezdok allow you to move outside of the confines of the cockpit so the issue isn't at our end if indeed there is an issue as moving ones head outside the confines should indeed result in funky effects as you move outside of the cockpit. The cockpit as noted is one of the smaller ones so one must limit yourself within its confines if using software that allow you to go beyond the standard operation of the simulation.

thanks,
Lewis
Unless you use OpusFSI which has a facility for not only setting individual aircraft viewpoints, it also allows you to restrict the view to cockpit walls should you so wish. Any help? :)
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Actually EZdok also has a setting to restrict eyepoint movement too Ron (though I expect it's hidden away in some obscure and fiendishly complex sub-menu as is the norm for this software). However, not sure how much help it'd be: I think you basically define vertical cockpit 'walls' which wouldn't work so well with the curved canopy in the Spit. Maybe worth a try though and it's something I should look into...

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Having said that, it's sometimes quite handy to be able stick your head out and peer round the nose of a taildragger. 8)

iflygary
Airman First Class

Post by iflygary »

Ron and Nick,
Thank you gentlemen both for the suggestions. Ron as Nick has stated, TrackIR does have the ability to "Lock" cockpit walls as so you don't go thru windows, floors, cockpits, etc. Nick the way it's operated is to go to the EZDok menu and right click the little "L". It then allows you to adjust the X, Y, and Z axis to that particular aircraft's cockpit dimensions to prevent going through the walls. After adjusting, then just check "enable" and you're all done. Ron to your point, I usually don't enable the lock feature in the taildraggers to allow myself to look out of windows when taxiing, however I do make the adjustment of the X,Y, and Z axis which prevents me from going through the window, walls, etc. For whatever reason, the Spit is the only one that no matter where I position the X axis, as I turn my head about in the cockpit, I will go thru either the left, or right side window. Nick I used your suggestion from earlier and it does help a bit, but I still go thru a window at some point.

I know Lewis chimed in earlier and said the Spit's cockpit geometry is highly accurate, and I certainly don't doubt that, but this is the only aircraft that I have in the hanger that has me at a loss with making the proper setting. I even disabled TrackIR but as I rotate about the cockpit still the same thing happens. Ron, I know you're an avid painter here in the FS Community and put out excellent work. I know one of your "pet peeves" is to not create a fictional repaint. Haha, I agree with that because one of my peeves is to not fly planes with fictional repaints 8). My other peeve is to make sure I'm not going thru cockpit walls and/or windows so this is really bugging me. :?

Back to the drawing board and I appreciate your input so far! :)

Gary

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Gary - if your eyepoint is passing through the canopy even when TrackIR is disabled, I'd suggest opening your EZdok virtual cockpit *.ini file for the Spit and checking what the value for these two variables is:

Code: Select all

3D_PAN_SENS_X=0.0004
3D_PAN_SENS_Y=0.0002 
If they're any higher than the numbers above which I use, it's likely you'll see your eyepoint pass through the canopy. You could try setting them to 0 but personally I find a slight shift in eyepoint when turning one's head is much more realistic. (However, the settings for this in the default EZdok profiles seem a bit odd inasmuch as they move your eyepoint to the right when you turn your head left and vice-versa. :? )

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. Not sure whether you're familiar with the EZdok virtual cockpit *.ini files, but their default location is: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\EZCA\db\virtual_cockpit.

...Oh, and this shot of Jodie Kidd in the cockpit of a Mk.1 gives a good idea of the general lack of room for throwing your head around... :wink:
(See here for the source for the image.)
A2A Simulations Inc.

iflygary
Airman First Class

Post by iflygary »

Nick- Thanks for the tip! I couldn't find the 3D setting listed anywhere within the Spit's profile so I copied and pasted your settings! Finally!!!! 8) It's not 100% correct but 98% works for me. I have to slightly lean to the left when panning to the right but at least I can take the Spit out of the hangar now and get some flying time on her :D Thanks for the input!!!!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Glad the EZdok *.ini file edit helped Gary. :D if you try reducing the x value to 0.0002 as well, you might be able to completely eliminate your eyepoint intersecting the canopy.

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Thanks for that link Nick. good stuff!

iflygary
Airman First Class

Post by iflygary »

Haha I was so focused on getting the setting right that I didn't go back and view the link. Just as Ron said, it's definitely some good stuff! Thanks for sharing. :)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

All credit to 'Bomber_12th' for originally posting the link in this thread: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 30#p353985

Now - about that whip-round fellas? 2.5 million quid could be put to worse uses... :wink:

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”