gps for spitfire?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
william thompson
Airman Basic

gps for spitfire?

Post by william thompson »

Greetings, and I wonder if it is possible to add a gps for the spitfire? I enjoy low level cross country flights, and my vfr sometimes falls short of perfection, I'd appreciate any help,
Best wishes, william thompson

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: gps for spitfire?

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

If its an aid to VFR you can use the included map on the 2d pop up panel? It has lots of filer options for what you can see on the map.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

NickD
Airman First Class

Post by NickD »

I've found since adding one version of photo scenery all maps, including those of FSX istelf are blank...

There is a good free addon which works for me, it has Flight Planning and real time GPS position facility plus more. Download a few other free files from elsewhere and ground elevation info of your planned flight is available.

Sorry the info is sketchy but I'm away from home will be back later this evening with more info including its name! But what it isn't s a 'GPS' device for the Spitfire although it can give you instantaneous position on its own map...
Regards,

Nick

NickD
Airman First Class

Post by NickD »

As I mentioned prepviously, its 'VFR Generation X' does something to FSX and P3d which causes the loss of all map info...

The GPS solution I found was the best was the free addon 'Plan-G'...
Regards,

Nick

SpitfireMelodeon
Senior Airman

Post by SpitfireMelodeon »

To navigate my Spitfire I use the map that Lewis alluded to.

Shift + 5 brings it up.

I have photo scenery also and although the default FSX maps are indeed blank, the A2A moving map shows airfield and VOR locations in relation to your current position with frequencies and their names.

(Really useful, thanks A2A)

Hope this helps

Cheers and Beers

Bill
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

SpitfireMelodeon
Senior Airman

BTW NickD,

I regularly enjoy flights, low and high level, around the Highlands and Islands of Scotland particularly the West Coast.

Bill

ImageImageImage

william thompson
Airman Basic

Thank you for your replies, gentlemen, I agree that the moving maps mentioned are very good for navigation, but a fraction unrealistic for my finicky taste, I am looking for an actual gps instrument which will fit in the cockpit and blend in with the other instruments. It can be done by adding a few small files into the aircraft panel config. Classics Hangar told me exactly how to do it for my FW190 and it is excellent. I tried it on with the A2A Spitfire, but no dice! Regarding the all-blue maps with the UK photo scenery, I think we are stuck with them, I contacted the publishers ages ago and it seems there is no fix. I recommend the Orbx scenery. Scotland is my favourite area as well, setting WW2 fighters down on some of those island airfields is very interesting indeed......
Thank you all for replying, and Best Wishes, william thompson

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

Hi William, I run FSX in windowed mode which makes it possible to run the freeware PlanG behind it. You can use it as a moving map or a static map depending on if you let it connect to FSX or not. You can then use it to see names of towns, mountains and other aviation related information like reporting stations, making it a great kneeboard style map available from your taskbar without messing up your beautiful A2A Spitfire cockpit. Just a thought. :idea:
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

william thompson
Airman Basic

Hi Jeepinforfun, Thanks for your reply, I have just tried your system out between Dundee and Inverness in a Mk 11b, and it was really enjoyable. I will use it all the time for my A2A aircraft [which are also brilliant]. So thanks again, much appreciated,
Best Wishes, william thompson

SpitfireMelodeon
Senior Airman

I hadn't heard of PlanG before.

Absolutely brilliant.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Bill

ImageImageImage

NickD
Airman First Class

Post by NickD »

As I mentioned, I found PlanG to be absolutely brilliant especially when planning a route, I don't know of any other addon (free or otherwise) with terrain elevation information...
Regards,

Nick

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

Another great feature is being able to bring up airport charts (if you have then linked) when right clicking on an airport. I use John Allard's FSX Airport Charts, he is constantly making them, takes requests and will even set up a e-mail delivery for new ones. They can be found at Mutley's Hangar http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.ph ... -diagrams/ you would of course need to register on the site http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/ but will end up with very accurate charts based on default FSX.

Flight planning is upgraded with range bearing and being able to find a nav bearing between two nav aids. Sometimes I have so much fun with it I have made flight plans that I haven't had a chance to fly yet. :lol:
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

william thompson
Airman Basic

Greetings everyone, this is all good stuff. I got a gps going in the Spitfire. I just typed 'how to add a gps to fsx aircraft' into the search engine and took my pick from the page that showed up. It works for Prepar3d 1.4 as well. Best wishes, william

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”