P3Dv2.1 Issues (update: Mostly solved by LM hotfix 2/27)

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: P3Dv2.1 Issues

Post by Gypsy Baron »

From what I have read, as I do not have P3D V2 or V2.1, the biggest culprit
the revamped XML parser with V2.1.

XML code that previously worked fine with FSX and P3d V2 no longer works
in P3D V2.1 due to more 'stringent' requirements for the XML syntax and
other changes.

This is being discussed over in the FSDevelopers forum. One change that
came to light was the XML tag <Visible>code</Visible> which allowed for
conditional execution of code within the tags.

That tag is now <Visibility>code</Visibility> so previous sections of XML code within
that structure no longer work.

Another new requirement was that a space appear after the construct
if{0 some_function}. That now needs to be
if{ 0 some_function }

Before things can get 'fixed', all the parser changes need to be examined
and then all XML code would have to be scanned for presence of syntax that
has changed, then edited. Not a task for the meek!

Paul

Mr.Mugel
Airman First Class

Post by Mr.Mugel »

So the A2A warbirds will not work with the current P3d 2.1? Was just about to buy it yesterday, since I need to set up my FS from stock again anyway, but this stopped me. Can one get the 2.0 version, as it looks like the birds worked there?

Sorry if this goes too OT, but quite an important question to me. Thanks!
Kinda' like Accusim....

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Post by shortspecialbus »

Mr.Mugel wrote:So the A2A warbirds will not work with the current P3d 2.1? Was just about to buy it yesterday, since I need to set up my FS from stock again anyway, but this stopped me. Can one get the 2.0 version, as it looks like the birds worked there?

Sorry if this goes too OT, but quite an important question to me. Thanks!
Hi!

LM released a hotfix on their forum on Feb 27th to fix this (and related) issues.

Initial testing on my part, although very brief for the moment, has proven quite successful. With the 1.6 accusim patch and the LM Hotfix for 2.1, it seems that the spit is working as intended.

Note that the hotfix is intended to allow gauges with existing errors to function, which (to P3D v2.1, at least) the A2A xml gauges are, so it still may benefit for A2A to take a look at the code and see what errors it's generating - they're visible now to developers with the hotfix.

With my quick testing, I think you're safe to try 2.1 now!

-stefan

Mr.Mugel
Airman First Class

Post by Mr.Mugel »

Yeah, thanks for the update. Looking at my finances right now, but I think I´ll do it as soon as I can.
Kinda' like Accusim....

francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Post by francesco.doenz »

Inspite of having no knowledge about informatics, just installing as usual my Spit and Razorback into P3D version 2.1 and the hotfix, everything works just fine up to now! But not yet the accusim 1.6 patch!? Would that be an incompatibility...?

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

francesco.doenz wrote:Inspite of having no knowledge about informatics, just installing as usual my Spit and Razorback into P3D version 2.1 and the hotfix, everything works just fine up to now! But not yet the accusim 1.6 patch!? Would that be an incompatibility...?
The 1.6 accusim patch installed fine for me (with the p3d v2 option) for the spitfire. I don't have the P47 so I can't comment, and I'd like to reiterate that I've done very little testing, just enough to see that things actually seem to move around in the plane as they should. I actually took off work today (for an unrelated matter) but I should be able to find time to divebomb ireland or something.

-stefan

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Alright, I've had some time to test.

The spitfire itself, with the 1.6 patch and the LM hotfix applied, seems to work fine. I do notice that when starting up, the smoke/other whatnot generated in the procedure absolutely tanks my frame rate. Not A2A's fault and it passes when the engine settles down. I didn't try overheating to see if the relief valve would have the same issue (I prefer not to ruin my plane ;) )

That said, performance with P3D v2.1 is really not where I'd like it. Clouds in particular seem to tank my frame rate. I was able to make it worlds better by adding the AM=14 tweak, which changed it from "completely unplayable" to "actually not that bad at all" and a bit better still by messing with fiber time. I was flying around in FTX Ireland between Cork and Killarney, tooling around the southern coast mostly, and it wasn't that bad away from the airports. Final approach as I more or less did a fighter turn to lessen my approach time and keep the engine cool wasn't too terrible, but then I dropped my flaps and turned in for short final, and the frame rate tanked again. I have it limited to 30 and it was largely there during teh flight but probably got down to 15 on final, which was rough, although it was at least a smooth 15 so I got it on the ground fine. I may do more testing to see if the flaps being deployed have any sort of impact. They really shouldn't, but maybe they do an effect of some sort (similar to the startup) that P3D doesn't really like.

At any rate, I'll keep testing stuff. Basic system specs for me are i7 2600k @4.6ghz, SLI GTX 670 4GB cards (although I'm not sure that SLI is helping or hurting currently,) 8GB RAM, and running off an SSD. Settings are all near max except for 1 slider down on the various autogen things. Since the hotfix I haven't had an OOM and the autogen slider actually doesn't seem to affect my performance all that much. Clouds seem to be the biggest hit, and I'm using REX4 at 1024 so I'm planning on mucking around with that. Anti Aliasing is a problem = at 4x, there's noticeable shimmering and at 8x I get a hit. Trying to use SGSS in nvidia inspector caused either terrible frame rate or other weird issues. I will likely play around with that more at some point. Anisotropic Filtering also seems not quite right. I may try forcing 16x in NI and see if that improves appearance. I'm also having a small bug with terrain shadows on (cast/shown on terrain) where I'll occasionally get a big giant square of shadow that flashes a bit.

All in all, P3Dv2 shows promise, and with the spit largely working now, it's worth a try. I obviously have a lot of fiddling left to do to get it working well on my system, and it's basically guaranteed that I'm trying to be too ambitious with everything and suffering problems as a result. If you've been on the fence about updating, largely because of A2A plane issues, I can confirm that at least on the spit things seem to be working well. I may test the cub or cessna later, I don't have any of the others.

Thanks!

-stefan

vtracy
Senior Airman

Re: P3Dv2.1 Issues (update: Mostly solved by LM hotfix 2/27)

Post by vtracy »

For what it is worth: I had tried installing/running the Spit, C172, no luck. Then, after reading this and the appropriate fora by A2A where they suggest that the updates to AccuSim and AccuFeel are installed prior to the aircraft. I did that: So far, the C172 works fine in all respects, i.e. including all gauges etc., the Spitfire Mark IIb also. I even installed and was able to fly, the Bf 109! Here, the only problem was/ is the flaps operation. The F keys do not seem to work all the time. For example, I could retract them with the F5 ( I think ) but could not lower them with the F7.
I will try assigning the function(s) to a button on my yoke and see if that works.
Volker

Any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing!

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”