can't start engine

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
joshers251
Airman Basic

can't start engine

Post by joshers251 »

Hi again,
I have issues with starting my aircraft when I load it in, I shall talk you though my pre-start procedure.
first after loading in the aircraft I prime the engine with mixture set to rich, then I attempt to start the engine, but all that comes out is a puff of smoke, the blades start to turn then stop. Then I tried the old fashioned way of ctrl+E yet nothing, then I start to cheat by slewing up to 1000.ft but nothing happens and the aircraft plummets to earth. this is not the first issue I have had with the aircraft http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 78&t=37339 but all I can ask for is help

from joshua davies,
hardwick,norfolk !!!!!! help !!!!!!!
ImageImage

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: can't start engine

Post by robert41 »

Here is how I do it.
My default start up is the FSX start up. The Trike.
But I select the airport that I want to start from, and the time I want, and the weather.
I load this then switch to the aircraft that I want to fly.
If an Accusim aircraft, I check maintenance, and payload, then hit cold start.
For the Spitfire, if it is fair weather, 59F/15C deg. turn on mags, turn on generator, turn on fuel, open throttle 1 inch or so, prime 4 to 6 pumps, hit starter. Might have to add a little throttle.
If warmer, say 80F/27C deg, 4 pumps of primer should do. If colder say in the 30'sF/0'sC, many more pumps are needed. Sometimes 15 or more pumps.
Sounds like you are not giving it enough primer pumps.
Hope this helps.

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

What Robert said is good!

The two things that get me occasionally are forgetting to turn on the fuel cocks (must be done before engine priming), and making sure the throttle is cracked open about an inch or so.

In addition, if you are trying to start the Mk.II, you will need to have loaded the starter cartridge (it's a ring shaped device you pull, and it loads a charge kinda like a shotgun shell, I guess). You may need to check Shift-4 to make sure you have cartridges (the plane only carries 3) and that you have fuel. You may also want to visit the maintenance hangar (Shift-7) and make sure your plane is in good shape. Overhaul it if needed.

The manuals are fantastic and if you follow them step by step you should be able to start it up after a few tries!

Good luck,

Joe
Joe

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I'd also check the basics. So going to the fuel and payload manager checking required fluids and also that the aircraft is in a operable state in the maintenance hanger
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”