Propeller question

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
BLomas
Airman

Propeller question

Post by BLomas »

Propeller question: Is the DH and Rotol propeller pitch on the A2A Spitfires controlled hydraulically (early type) or eclectically (later type)?

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Propeller question

Post by Killratio »

Hi,

The DH is a two pitch, PCP airscrew that is able (with a little practice) to be used as a "variable' prop. It is controlled by a Bowden Cable to pull the airscrew to "fine" pitch and counterweights that move the screw back to coarse pitch (provided there is sufficient centrifugal force to move the weights) when the cable tension is released (control pushed in). It is best known as a "Bracket Type" after the bracket in which the weights slide back and forward.

The Rotol is a hydraulic, oil pressured, system which relies on varying pressure in the control unit.

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

BLomas
Airman

Post by BLomas »

Killratio wrote:Hi,

The DH is a two pitch, PCP airscrew that is able (with a little practice) to be used as a "variable' prop. It is controlled by a Bowden Cable to pull the airscrew to "fine" pitch and counterweights that move the screw back to coarse pitch (provided there is sufficient centrifugal force to move the weights) when the cable tension is released (control pushed in). It is best known as a "Bracket Type" after the bracket in which the weights slide back and forward.

The Rotol is a hydraulic, oil pressured, system which relies on varying pressure in the control unit.

Darryl
Thank you but I know how they work, I was asking what systems the A2A Spitfire model uses as the application of the Bowden cable does not rotate the blades with a dead engine.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

The counterweights move the DH subject to centrifugal force..as I said in my answer. That is how the modelling is done as well.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

BLomas
Airman

Post by BLomas »

Killratio wrote:The counterweights move the DH subject to centrifugal force..as I said in my answer. That is how the modelling is done as well.

You are absolutely correct as I of all people should know, I must be losing my marbles, comes of being older than the Spitfire, I thank you for your patience.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

BLomas wrote:
Killratio wrote:The counterweights move the DH subject to centrifugal force..as I said in my answer. That is how the modelling is done as well.

You are absolutely correct as I of all people should know, I must be losing my marbles, comes of being older than the Spitfire, I thank you for your patience.

No problem at all...that is what we are here for!! Enjoy the Spit.

Darryl

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”