Ammeter oddities (possible bug)

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: Ammeter oddities (possible bug)

Post by CAPFlyer »

I tested the P-51 and can confirm your results that yes, that ammeter is not working properly as it shouldn't be showing load unless the generator is online and it is. However, I'm not getting the same reaction with the Spitfire Mk. I. I'm still only showing measurable load when the generator is online with the Accessory Trolley detached. Remember that the ACC Trolley is in the Generator circuit, so seeing load when it's plugged in (especially with the Starter Magneto engaged or just after starting) is normal. Once you detach it, the ammeter returns to zero until you bring the generator online. I had one quirk where the field seemed to stay charged until just before shutdown (showing 14V and ~4 amps) but I think that might also be realistic because the field doesn't necessarily get grounded out just because the throttle is back.

newblackgold
Airman First Class

Post by newblackgold »

My spitfire is acting like the p-51, where the ammeter reads all loads. Is there a hotfix or something I don't have? I cycled the settings a few times and whenever on battery power the ammeter would read that draw.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Check and be sure you have Accusim 1.5.1 installed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

whiic
Staff Sergeant

Post by whiic »

Wait... are people actually having their ammeters act differently?

I run 1.51 and my ammeters (both Mk.I, P-51D, P-40) read current both with generator OFF and ON. Putting generator on will only cause amperage to increase by the amount of battery recharge rate. I expected everyone had the same in the sim but it appears mine and newblackgold's work differently from CAPFlyer's.

I'm in middle of flight with B-17 right now but once I land the big bird at EFTP, I'll double check my P-51D. Mk.I and P-40 (at least AVG variant) I'm certain of function in the way I've described.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Like I said, the P-51D operates the way you describe. I'm just seeing different operation on the Spitfire than you are. I haven't checked the P-40.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Sorry, I was just pointed to this thread. This was my mistake, as I did the coding that wires the ammeters into the main bus with the battery. So, in our core accusim birds, you are seeing both the generator and the battery (we need to re-visit the electrical diagrams and verify on each plane). I wired it this way because in some ways, it has advantages. We'll re-wire the ammeter in a future update.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

newblackgold
Airman First Class

Post by newblackgold »

I get the feeling the feeling more modern planes have ammeters wired to the main bus, and record all loads, battery or otherwise. At least, the sims I have played with 80s/90s era commercial aircraft seem to be wired that way but it requires a couple of ammeters to create that single number you see in the cockpit. I think there's a lot of confusion about the subject. At least, I really had to go over what Whiic was saying quite a few times before the reason for the discrepancy became more apparent.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”