Boost question

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Random Nonsense
Airman Basic

Boost question

Post by Random Nonsense »

Some odd behaviour I've noticed with the boost gauge while flying the spit.

It seems to vary with altitude. Now before anyone says it I know that higher altitude = less dense air and lower MAP for a given throttle setting but IIRC the spitfires throttle set boost pressure rather than throttle opening. Therefore shouldn't boost pressure be maintained at whatever you set it up until the point the throttle is effectively fully open? at which point boost will begin to tail off as you get higher.

Anyone shed some light on this? I'm happy to accept I could be wrong, It's just annoying to have to constantly fiddle with the throttle when I believe I shouldn't be having to!

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Boost question

Post by Scott - A2A »

Random,

You are correct. The Merlin's do have an automatic boost control. We've known about this for some time and planned to implement this when we developed the system for the P-51, but had to wait just to be careful not to change too many things at once.

We do have this planned in the next core update, as it will use the same technology as on the Mustang.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Random Nonsense
Airman Basic

Post by Random Nonsense »

Thats good news! Thanks

francesco.doenz
Staff Sergeant

Post by francesco.doenz »

As of now when I am climbing I still notice a drop in boost with the spit, is it my faulty flying technique or is the automatic boost control not yet implanted with the updates of the last twelve months?

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

It is still not implemented. Hopefully soon.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Perhaps one day, the Spitfire will once again get some love and the boost will be fixed.

whiic
Staff Sergeant

Post by whiic »

Those who have updated to Accusim Core v2.0 and who fly Spitfire regularly probably already know but...
FIXED.

You can still turn off the boost regulation by flipping the boost cut-off switch. It not only removes the +6 psi boost limit but also removes the boost regulation altogether (i.e it does not function in the same way as P-51D's War Emergency Power). Is this operation accurate to real Baby Spits?

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Yes the auto boost is here. As far as I know, the boost cut off is correct.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

You know, it's interesting that I was testing the Spit the other day and noticed this as well. I forgot to mention it to the team, but it made me curious enough to go through the notes for the release, and I never saw mention of this. Either way, she's holding boost. That should make our resident Spitfire expert quite happy. :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

You may be right Cody!
Sounds interesting! I didn't have the chance to beta test this time..but I may get to do some testing tonight.

The Automatic Boost Cut-Out Override on early Merlins works by passing suction instead of engine boost to the Aneroid Chamber, thus rendering the Boost Regulator "virtually inoperative".

From the description of the function, I'd say Scott has it spot on. Once I have thoroughly tested it I can comment with more certainty.

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Kiwi Spitfire
Senior Airman

Post by Kiwi Spitfire »

I got me some fancy new engine upgrades! :D
ImageImageImageImageImage

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha | Intel i7-6700K@ 4.5Ghz O/C | G-Skill 16GB 2800MHz DDR4 RAM | Asus Strix 6GB nVidia GTX980ti | 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M2 | Phillips 32" Display | TrackIR |Win10 64bit.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”