[Solved] Setting throttle and Boost Cutout

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Nyxx
Airman

[Solved] Setting throttle and Boost Cutout

Post by Nyxx »

First forgive me but I'm not sure how this should work.
It looks like it should work like this,
The throttle can be pushed forward to the stop plate(dedent) to go beyond that stop plate/gate call it what you like :) you must push the Boost Cutout plate forward to allow the throttle to travel to the full extent that this allows.

If that right it does not work like that and I don't think you would get it wrong. I can push throttle to the stop (100%) and the boost cutout make no deference to this. The throttle simple moves through the gate.

How should this work?

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Setting throttle and Boost Cutout

Post by Killratio »

Nyxx,

Moving the throttle into the gate JUST gives you full power...what in modern terms would be called Military Power. If you THEN push the red thumb tab and move the throttle back slightly and forward again you will get the dramatic burst of 12lb./ sq. in.

The gate is the break between about +7 boost and +9 boost. Not much of a ditinction in te Mk II. when you get up to the Mk V you will see a few differecnes in how the throttle is used,

At first I had my throttle built on exactly your theory but then got to find after many hour's digging that the Automatic Boost Cut Out Override (to give it its full name) does not work like that early, it actually uses a Bowden cable to move a plate which blocks off bleed holes, allowing the higher MP.

Darryl
Last edited by Killratio on 29 Jan 2011, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Nyxx
Airman

Re: Setting throttle and Boost Cutout

Post by Nyxx »

All is now clear thank you very much for the reply.

Dave.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”