glycol windshield heater

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Zacke
Staff Sergeant

glycol windshield heater

Post by Zacke »

Hey guys,

where does the hot glycol for the windshield heater come from? Has it to do with the coolant fluid? In the shift-4 menu the coolant fluid tank is labeled "Gly".

Thanks,
Zacke

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: glycol windshield heater

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Zacke.
I have not needed to use this control yet , so not sure if it uses the gly tank for the screen or not , i suspect not , i think the gly coolant tank is like an antifreeze in the coolant system for the engine only .
You could try to see if the screen deicer system works of the trolly ack with engine off to see if the gly tank in shift+4 goes down or not , i suspect the gly deicer for the screen is not modelled in shift+4.
Only thing i have done to stop canopy fogging is the tiny silver wheel that opens and shuts the outside air vent , if you look on page 30 of pilots manual , it is a tiny wheel under the RH side of the glaresheild , just right of generator SW and above RPM gauge , you should see a flap open and close on the outside of the aircraft from the cockpit above the RPM gauge.
regards alan. 8)

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Maybe sometimes you don't want to let the cold, humid air directly stream into your cockpit but instead use the windshield defroster. :)

I'll have an eye on that and report if the windshield heater does anything with the coolant reservoir.

Zacke

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Yes, the deicer does work in the A2A Spitfire. You can see it work by diving down through moist air at high speed and then turning on the valve. The windscreen deicer tank is on the starboard side of the cockpit , low down next to the seat and slightly aft of the deicer valve. It sprays deicing fluid onto the outside of the armour glass. The tank has a line in the real aircfraft that runs through a manual hand pump with a needle valve to adjust the flow. It is completely separate to the vent, which helps defog the inside of the glass.

The fogging effect is not completely accurate in FSX P3D, apparently optimised for US conditions. In 25 years of flying in all weathers in Australia, I have had to adjust an aicraft vent twice to reduce fogging and then only on the ground. In the Spitfire, if you don't open the vent, you will automatically fog up in a few minutes under any conditions it seems!

I open it as part of initially getting into the spitfire and leave it open all the time. It does seem to cost 1-2mph of top speed...but hey....I like to see where I am going, I'm funny like that.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”