oil cooler logic

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Zacke
Staff Sergeant

oil cooler logic

Post by Zacke »

Hey guys,

could somebody explain how the oil is working in detail? Does it have a thermostat directing oil through the cooler above a specific temp or does it work in an other way?

Thanks in advance,
Zacke

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: oil cooler logic

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Zacke.
The oil is pumped from the engine , through the rad on the right wing , and back to the engine , the temp sensor i would guess is in the engine block or sump , the rad has a flap , which is controlled by the pilot , lever below throttle on floor , full fwd is fully open , there is an arrow on map cover , the lever should be at this point during flight , full fwd during takeoff/landing , the gear and flaps cause some blockage to airflow through the rad , so gear needs to be retracted soon after take off , and lowered on short final , and flaps lowered near to landing , and raised as soon as a secured landing is achieved , else engine overheats , ie steam coming from vent right side of engine , this aircraft overheats very easily , so carfull control required to prevent this .
Note , when flaps deployed , the nose pitches down , be ready for this , flaps are pnumatic and either full up or full down , if not ALREADY noticed the diff brakes are brakes plus rudder brakes are also pnumatic .
regards alan. 8)

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Thanks again for your fast reply.

But I think your talking about the cooling system/radiator (right wing). That's quite clear to me. My question mentioned the oil cooling system (on the left wing?). Does it keep a specific temperature by cooling/not cooling or does it always cool regardless of the oil temperature?

Regards,
Zacke

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Zacke.
Sorry i miss understood.
The cooler on the left wing is just ram air cooled , the quicker you fly the more the cooling effect , but is is limited , as oil temp will rise , so you need to monitor the gauge to keep in temp limits .
If it starts getting towards the top limit , ease off the power , to let it cool.
As for the steam coming out of the vent , if i recall correctly , i think it starts steaming at 120 on the water temp gauge.
regards alan. 8)

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Ok. So the oil system just pumps the oil through the cooler. No change in pump speed (volume) or different oil circuit like in later systems?

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Yes, the oil is pumped from the tank, through the engine, out through the wing cooler.

<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Thx!

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”