Spitfire MKI and MkII Lvars

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
flash2
Senior Airman

Spitfire MKI and MkII Lvars

Post by flash2 »

Hello Lewis,

You have previously sent me LVars for the Spitfire MKI and TR-6 which have been used successfully to develop specific meters matching those in the cockpits of those respective planes. I did install SPAD.NeXt to accommodate these meters. One of these meters for the Spitfire MkI is RPM and incorporates a flap indicator showing the lowering and raising of each flap independently. I have recently switched to flying the MKII and find that the RPM Gauge and others work flawlessly and that the flap gauge is inoperative. Is there a different and separate Lvar on the MkII for flaps?

Another option I am considering is that rather than trying to fix this I would like to change this Flap indicator to a Landing gear indicator on the MkI and MKII and wondered if those Lvars are available on each respective plane and on the T-6 as well. I do already have a flap indicator on another meter that works on each plane.

You may think this may be a silly request but I have most major instruments external to the plane and like to fly from an external view, especially when doing aerobatics, and once I did a roll with the MkI and the landing gear flew off the plane because I had not pressed (G) a sufficient number of times to lock the gear up. That's realism! Thus the external landing gear or U/C indicator desire.

Note that I am requesting the gauge ( Lvars) to show continuous and separate gear operation as I have on the MKI flaps. The reason for this is that MSFX does not allow a two position switch (like flaps) for gear up and down but only a one position command for raise and lower. I have to see the gear being raised on the meter and not just full up or Down ,otherwise the tendency is to activate the switch again only to find that I am reversing the initial command.

Any info you can provide to accomplish this would be appreciated. The Gauge supplier could work with the Lvars for each respective plane if Landing gear/ U/C indications are available.

Thanks,
John

Top

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Spitfire MKI and MkII Lvars

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello John,

If you wish to use separate "gear up" and "gear down" commands in FSX, I'd recommend that you purchase a copy of FSUIPC4.

Generally speaking, you'll need FSUIPC anyway if you're going to make use of local panel variable (L:Vars) so perhaps you already have a copy? The list of Spitfire L:Vars can be found here by the way.

flash2 wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 08:22 I have recently switched to flying the MKII and find that the RPM Gauge and others work flawlessly and that the flap gauge is inoperative. Is there a different and separate Lvar on the MkII for flaps?
There's no flap position gauge fitted in the cockpit of the Mk.II.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

Nick,

Thanks for the input. I have to think more about my desires for the continuous U/C indicator and not make things too complicated. I have Spad.neXT but not FSUIPC4
I am curious however as to why my Flap gauge works for the MKI and not the MKII as there is no flap gauge position in the cockpit of either plane but there is the Flap lever in both.

Thanks,
John

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello David,
flash2 wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 07:29 I am curious however as to why my Flap gauge works for the MKI and not the MKII as there is no flap gauge position in the cockpit of either plane but there is the Flap lever in both.
The Spit Ia models do have a flap position gauge fitted. It's just to the right of the flap lever and marked "brake flaps". Is this visible in your installation?

Because this gauge is included in the Mk Is and not the IIs, I suspect the L:Vars just aren't included in the animation code for the latter.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

flash2
Senior Airman

Post by flash2 »

NIck,

You are correct as there is no flap air pressure gauge on the MkII but there has to be an equivalent Lvar as my Airspeed meter provided by FIP Gauges has the Flap indicator as a vertical indicator on the side of their standard Airspeed Dial and it tracks the flap position as it travels on the MkI and MkII. The supplier of my Spitfire RPM Gauge must be using a different Lvar that works on the MK I and Not the MkII. I am going to have him change this indicator to a Landing gear or U/C indicator and may have to settle for a two opposition indicator, either up or down from the cockpit lights.

Thanks again
John

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi John,

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the FIP gauges in question, but I suspect they don't use L:Vars but rather the standard data which is output by FSX for the flap and gear position. This means they should work without any custom L:Vars being referenced.

Anyway, the custom L:Vars for the Spit are linked above in case they're any help to your RPM gauge supplier.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

The Spitfire gear has positions for between -16250 odd and +16250. These can be read easily with FSUIPC. In K9817 I have the indicator lights set to only come on when BOTH gear are at teh full 16250 (odd, can't remember the exact figure). I know it was some mucking about to get it to do that, so all of the interim values are definitely readable.

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

Hi John, I'm a bit confused so can you rephrase your question?

As for the landing flaps indicator you can use the actual landing flaps variables: (L:LeftFlap,percent) and (L:RightFlap,percent). What else do you need?

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”