Video: Explanation of the P8 Compass

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: Video: Explanation of the P8 Compass

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Having watched the video you posted on the BoB Spitfire MP flight on the weekend, I decided it was time to get into the Spitfire with the mind of figuring it out, rather than just seeing if I could fly it without burning it down or busting the prop, which I did manage btw. The first thing I remembered was that when I first flew it I had to set the DG on runway heading because could not make heads nor tails of the compass...and it's in such a handy spot for viewing......

Having just vowed to get educated and trained on the Spit I knew my first step was to come to grips with the compass. That's when I found this video and I just wanted to say thank you so much! I'm pretty sure I'll only ever use it to set the DG initially, because I think rather than trying to use it for real time navigation like you did, I'd rather just be lost... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

Thanks so much, glad it was useful for you Rob!
The DG gets so offset by aerial high jinks that it's not bad to know how to reset it using the good old P8.
There is always the D key but then the Squadron Leader wouldn't approve ;)
I have a camera set up in chaseplane for it. A bit unrealistic as should the pilot try a similar view in real life, it would require unstrapping, kneeling on the floor, pushing the spade grip to once side and placing one's visage just above the thing!

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Ya, I'm not touching the D key and enduring the wrath of the CO, so now I know how to do it when needed. But, what are these "high jinks" of which you speak...?? :wink: :lol:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 11:16 ...But, what are these "high jinks" of which you speak...?? :wink: :lol:
One of these.
https://youtu.be/Xf3UtmHLKUU

Preferably followed immediately by a loop.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

bladerunner900 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 18:14
MkIV Hvd wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 11:16 ...But, what are these "high jinks" of which you speak...?? :wink: :lol:
One of these.
https://youtu.be/Xf3UtmHLKUU

Preferably followed immediately by a loop.
:lol: :lol: Oh THOSE hi-jinks! That was a great (for the flying anyway) TV show!! 8)
Rob Wilkinson

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”