THIS or THIS! Will your guns fire?

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

THIS or THIS! Will your guns fire?

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello chaps - this caught my eye: a World War 2 poster reproduced in An Illustrated History of the RAF. Most of us are probably more concerned about keeping our radiator temps low, but wartime Spitfire pilots had another consideration at altitude: keeping the radiator (which was ducted to the guns to prevent freezing) hot enough...

Source: RAF Museum AD1303

Cheers,
Nick

P.S. I appreciate that the guns in the A2A Spit won't fire, whatever the radiator temperature or pneumatic pressure, so this is just for interest. :wink:
A2A Simulations Inc.

matt_smith
Senior Airman

Re: THIS or THIS! Will your guns fire?

Post by matt_smith »

Nice find, reminds me of this, from 2 mins onwards :lol:

http://youtu.be/DVKPS5aPvOc

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I kind of wish the guns did fire. What's the point of flying a fighter that is fully armed if we can't squeeze off a few rounds. We can drop bombs in the b17.... I know now is when the pacifists erupt in outrage but after all its not reality it's a simulation.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

The coding effort all goes into a realistic aircraft simulation, whats the point in having a realistic aircraft if when you press the trigger you just get some relaxed realism/arcade firing? :wink:

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yes, personally I don't have any real desire to see operable guns in the A2A warbids. There are other sims for that sort of thing... (and I'm usually pretty hopeless at them!) :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

Lewis - A2A wrote:The coding effort all goes into a realistic aircraft simulation, whats the point in having a realistic aircraft if when you press the trigger you just get some relaxed realism/arcade firing? :wink:

thanks,
Lewis
Is it really a realistic aircraft simulation if the guns do not fire? :mrgreen:
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Of course it is, we like to have realistic engine and flight than working guns in a civil simulation that wouldn't fully support a realistic simulation of the firing without extensive work, as the poster demonstrates, it's not as easy as pressing a button and bullets come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I want this:

for my A2A P-40!

Seeya
ATB

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Paughco wrote:I want this:

for my A2A P-40!

Seeya
ATB
Oh man, that is too cool. Even has the same shark mouth A2A used! This may need to be on the desktop for a while!

Joe
Joe

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Paughco wrote:I want this:

for my A2A P-40!

Seeya
ATB
I think you will find that paint here.
http://mikesrepaints.com/p40.html

Cheers
Steve.

Emil Petecki
Airman First Class

Post by Emil Petecki »

I must admit that it's quite odd to see He-111 used as a fighter but I remember that in some game the Stuka dive bomber was shown as fighter, weird things happen ;)
Last edited by Emil Petecki on 14 Jun 2015, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Emil Petecki wrote:I must admit that it's quite odd to see He-111 used as a bomber ...
Really? :? Although ostensibly designed as a fast passenger transport, only a handful were built for this purpose. The majority were used for dropping bombs/torpedoes, with some used as transports or glider tugs.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Emil Petecki
Airman First Class

Post by Emil Petecki »

Nick M wrote:
Emil Petecki wrote:I must admit that it's quite odd to see He-111 used as a bomber ...
Really? :? Although ostensibly designed as a fast passenger transport, only a handful were built for this purpose. The majority were used for dropping bombs/torpedoes, with some used as transports or glider tugs.

Cheers,
Nick
I meant used as a FIGHTER, which it seems to look on this poster. Never meant to say that they were not used as a bomber which was obviously their main role ;)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Aha - I gotcha'. :) Yeah, using the He 111 as a day fighter would have been a pretty desperate measure... It was no Ju 88! However, I gather that He 111s were initially used as night fighters until replaced by Ju 88s (source: FalkeEins - The Luftwaffe blog).
FalkeEins - The Luftwaffe blog wrote:The first Luftwaffe night fighters on the Eastern Front were the so-called Nachtjagdschwärme Ost. Their organisation was piece-meal - venerable Heinkel He 111s drawn from the Eastern Front Kampfgeschwader with neither search radar -as was usually the case in the west- nor controlled by any kind of ground control as later existed in the shape of the Nachtjagdzüge - the night fighter trains. There were no fleets of four-engine bombers to contend with in the air either - operations over the front in the early stages of the war in the East consisted of hunting and engaging the small Russian aircraft, mostly U2 and R5 biplanes, that operated by night supplying mines and shells to partisan groups located behind the front lines. The He 111 were of course large and ponderous aircraft which were hardly suited to this form of aerial interdiction but there were no other available aircraft. The He 111 as flown by aces such as Gunther Bertram enjoyed some successes on nights when the moon was full.

"My first victim had only just got airborne. Closing from astern, I swept alongside and past it, presenting my Bordfunker with the opportunity to unleash a long salvo from his MG. Given that the Russians only managed speeds of between 150-180 kph, while I had to maintain the speed of our cumbersome He 111 at 230 kph at least, achieving a downing was always very much down to good fortune..."
Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Emil Petecki
Airman First Class

Post by Emil Petecki »

@Nick M

Never heard of it. It does sound desperate and I'm honestly surprised that they managed to shoot down someone. Guess that they were lucky that Russians didn't have their Zero or Spitfire ;)

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”