Spitfire L1004 of Flt Lt 'Sandy' Johnstone, 602 Squadron BoB

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
ICDP
BDG & A2A

Spitfire L1004 of Flt Lt 'Sandy' Johnstone, 602 Squadron BoB

Post by ICDP »

http://www.filedropper.com/l1004_2

Flt Lt 'Sandy' Johnstone was flying L1004 when on the night of 25/26 June 1940 he shot down a Heinkel He.111H-3 of 3./KG.26 near Dunbar in Scotland, and again on 30 June when he shared in the destruction of a Ju.88 of 1./KG.51. In July he was promoted to lead the squadron, and in August 1940 he took them down to Westhampnett in Sussex at the height of the Battle of Britain.

Nick C
Senior Airman

Re: Spitfire L1004 of Flt Lt 'Sandy' Johnstone, 602 Squadron

Post by Nick C »

That's really very nice!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Beautiful as always Martin 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

A real beaut, thanks!!!

killerwatt
BDG

Post by killerwatt »

I asked Martin to do this repaint for me, and I have to say he has surpassed himself. I can't tell you all how pleased I am to have this skin knowing how much effort he put into it. In August Sandy Johnstone led 602 to Westhampnett near Chichester in West Suss ex, where they stayed for the remainder of the battle becoming one of the highest scoring squadrons in the process. Shortly after their arrival at Westhampnett, L1004 was damaged at Tangngmere a few miles from Westhampnett while in a hangar for maintenance on the 16th August 1940, and later she was subsequently rebuilt as a Mk Va. She also served with 57 and 58 OTUs. Even later she was rebuilt into the prototype PR MkXIII Spitfire. So all in all she led a very varied life I did attempt to post a pic earlier but the forum was over quota so thanks to Martin for posting.
Last edited by killerwatt on 11 Feb 2011, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
"He's talking about our mess bills - Sqn Ldr Brian Lane 19(F)Sqn RAF (Having heard Churchill's 'Never in the field' speech)"

Radeon HD 4870 Vapor-X 2GB, Asus P6T, Intel Core i7-920, 3GB DDR3 Memory 1600MHz Windows XP Home Edition.

Barvan
Airman First Class

Post by Barvan »

Great stuff Martin! Thanks for all your great repaints!

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

That is gorgeous!!! Quick question about the lack of roundels on the underside of the wings... was this due to the aircraft being rushed into service, was it an individual squadron thing, or was it a certain RAF mandate at a particular point in time? Or something else?

Thanks yet again, Martin!

Joe
Joe

killerwatt
BDG

Post by killerwatt »

JoeS475 wrote:That is gorgeous!!! Quick question about the lack of roundels on the underside of the wings... was this due to the aircraft being rushed into service, was it an individual squadron thing, or was it a certain RAF mandate at a particular point in time? Or something else?

Joe
As Far as I can ascertain it was just how she was painted at the time. She was one of the earlier Spits, having been delivered to 602 on 24th September 1939 so probably didnt recieve a full repaint (apart from Squadron codes) untill she was rebuilt as a MkV. As you can see she also still carries the small serial number and this is how she appeared in June 1940.
"He's talking about our mess bills - Sqn Ldr Brian Lane 19(F)Sqn RAF (Having heard Churchill's 'Never in the field' speech)"

Radeon HD 4870 Vapor-X 2GB, Asus P6T, Intel Core i7-920, 3GB DDR3 Memory 1600MHz Windows XP Home Edition.

ICDP
BDG & A2A

Post by ICDP »

JoeS475 wrote:That is gorgeous!!! Quick question about the lack of roundels on the underside of the wings... was this due to the aircraft being rushed into service, was it an individual squadron thing, or was it a certain RAF mandate at a particular point in time? Or something else?

Joe
Thanks Joe.

There were a few 'standard' RAF schemes for the undersides of their fighters during the early war years. The black and white undersides were standard from April 1939 until June 6th 1940 when a new directive was issued calling for 'sky' undersides with no national markings. On August 11th another directive was issued reinstating the national insignias. Obviously these changes did not happen overnight, espcially given the circumstances, so many variations were seen throughout the Battle of Britain.

Incidentally the 'sky' undersides varied from unit to unit and even from aircraft to aircraft. It is possible to see Spitfires during the Battle of Britain with sky colours ranging from azure blue to dark grey and duck egg blue (that was more green than blue) :)

Many people get really hissy about the valid colours to be used on BoB era aircraft. The truth is that variations existed in the standard colours depending on the paint batch, even when they were from the same factory. Add in the fact that natural weathering also changed tone and colour over time and you start to understand that if you get it close then it's good enough. I personally add some minor variations on brightness, tone and saturation levels on my camo colours from repaint to repaint. I find it makes them very slightly more unique.

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

Thanks guys... :)

Joe
Joe

killerwatt
BDG

Post by killerwatt »

Once I have become a bit more proficient at flying this bird, this will be my mount when I venture online. :D

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

einstein wrote:How will I become proficient at flying this bird

By going HERE and reading that thread, reading the manuals, and reading THIS thread, and even THIS thread aswell. That's about every tip, trick, guide, and tuition I can think of that you will need. Two very knowledgeable people have spent a lot of time compiling those tutorials, and you won't do any better than following their tips. Yes it may take some time to read it all, but if you want to become proficient, that's the way to do it :)
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

JeanR
Airman Basic

Post by JeanR »

^
LOL. Nice one. :D

WaltE1965
Airman First Class

Post by WaltE1965 »

Any chance of getting this uploaded to another site? My internet service provider blocks both your current download site as well as fileplanet :?: I have no recousre either, because the managment at my apartment complex forces you to use only there provider and no other :( . Funny thing is they charge out the you know what for it as well at $40 USD a month extra. What a load of you know what.....
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 Core), 2.70GHz
8 Gig RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium (THX)
Toshiba HDTV
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”