Question about the P8 Compass

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
BigT-65
Senior Airman

Question about the P8 Compass

Post by BigT-65 »

Does the P8 Compass hold a heading similar to an autopilot?
i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 H.O.T.A.S.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Question about the P8 Compass

Post by Killratio »

A P8 compass won't even INDICATE a heading consistently, let alone hold one. It has zero "auto pilot" function and in a navigational sense is of only slightly more use than Stevie Wonder's light fittings.

When used in conjunction with a DG it will get you to within approximately 5 degrees of heading if you are a skilled and disciplined navigator.

It is a sea compass designed to aid navigation over days at 10-15 knots. It does however provide approximately 2lbs/1kg of ballast slightly aft of CoG. :wink:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Killratio wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 19:22 A P8 compass won't even INDICATE a heading consistently, let alone hold one. It has zero "auto pilot" function and in a navigational sense is of only slightly more use than Stevie Wonder's light fittings.

When used in conjunction with a DG it will get you to within approximately 5 degrees of heading if you are a skilled and disciplined navigator.

It is a sea compass designed to aid navigation over days at 10-15 knots. It does however provide approximately 2lbs/1kg of ballast slightly aft of CoG. :wink:
I was wondering when you might feel motivated to give an opinion on the "fantastic performance" of the ole' P8. LOL. :-))))))))))))))
D

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 19:27
I was wondering when you might feel motivated to give an opinion on the "fantastic performance" of the ole' P8. LOL. :-))))))))))))))
D

:D :D :D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

BigT-65
Senior Airman

Post by BigT-65 »

Well Rats, I was hoping for an easier way to keep the Spitfire on course. For me it seems to be a full time job. I did load up the Shiftz-Stats addon which helps a lot since I can see my heading without taking my eyes off the road. Not very realistic though. Thanks for answering my post.
i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 H.O.T.A.S.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

No problems!

And spare a thought for the guys of the PRU who often navigated for 4 - 6 hours at a time this way
and who ran the very real risk (several disappeared without trace) of missing the Northern tip of Scotland
on return and flying out into the North Atlantic.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”