Spitfire K9817 Build

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Spitfire K9817 Build

Post by Killratio »

DUE TO A PHOTOBUCKET PROBLEM please see page 19 for a "cooks tour" of the missing photos and onwards for all updates. APOLOGIES!!!!

A fully updated set of photos and descriptions will now be available from Page 29 Onwards

Firstly, thank you for a first rate aircraft. I am having a ball flying this lady.
I have also purchased the Thunderbolt with Accusim and though it is not my kind of aircraft (I am a RW aerobatic pilot and lets face it, the Jug ain't so nimble!!) I have thoroughly enjoyed a couple of nights of trying to get it off the ground and then back on again without wrecking the engine or the main gear!

I was wondering if there is even the hint of any timeline on ACCUSIM for the Spitfire 1A. I am building a full scale Spitfire cockpit simulator and the one area that lets every single company's Spitfire down is engine management. Compare that to the P-47 Accusim engine management!!

To have that big Merlin going and struggle to keep the radiator from boiling before the oil temp warms enough to operate, would be fantastic.

Anyway, congrats again on a fine aircraft.
Last edited by Killratio on 12 Mar 2019, 11:24, edited 12 times in total.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

labrat4jafmc

Re: Accusim and the single Spitfire....

Post by labrat4jafmc »

Here, here!

My default is a Spit on the parking ramp at KLAN!

A joy to fly under most any circumstances.

Tony Hill
Airman Basic

Post by Tony Hill »

G'day,

Glad to see another Spitfire nut!!

Mine is defaulted to the parking Jandakot, Western Australia, parked next to Fighter Combat International's 3 Nanchangs.

Cold and Dark and ready to be fired to action. I love the A2A Spitfire and it has replaced the RealAir IX as the basis for my fully functional Spitfire simulator. I've spent many hours so far testing and calibrating a suite of Flight Illusion's analogue gauges. Once this baby is accusimmed the simulator will hopefully be as close as humanly possible to fying the real thing...functoning gauges, "broken" control column and spade grip, real dimensions and close to real "feel" on the controls...

Last edited by Tony Hill on 30 Aug 2012, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.

labrat4jafmc

Post by labrat4jafmc »

Now that is some seriously hardcore dedication!!! :shock:

A2A give this guy whatever he wants!

The finished product should be awesome. Don't forget to frame in the step through side hatch on the fusalage. I can't wait to see the completed project. My wife would divorce me if I went that full on. I know it is not cheap.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

We will accu-sim the spit. We have to get the p51 and B17 out first however.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Tony Hill
Airman Basic

Post by Tony Hill »

Scott,

cheers, I will definately buy the Mustang when accusimmed and it will be nicely flyable from the Spitfire pit.
I suspected the B17 would be done first, the radial engined B377 and P47's gave you a good start on engine modelling I would think?

At least the P-51 gets the Merlin done, even if the cooling and engine handling is quite different from the early Spitfire.

Looking forward to an accusimed Spit down the track (not too far I hope).

Labrat4jafmc,

thanks, it is a fun project. The starboard fuselage above the datum is now done. The port side is under construction with the door latch ordered. I am currently building the door itself. I had briefly considered a Mk XIX type arrangement without the door but couldn't bring myself to give up the half lock for takeoff and landing. I just want to get it as close to "real" to operate as possible...hence my longing for accusim....

Wife....um, I swapped her for a 1944 vintage gunsight..... :lol: :lol:

Seriously, she is great. This is my second cockpit (the first is an almost fully functioning F-16) and she is very supportive.
Total budget on the Spitfire is around A$15,000. The F-16 budget, well, that's "classified"!!

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Tony Hill wrote:Wife....um, I swapped her for a 1944 vintage gunsight..... :lol: :lol:
WOW you got a good deal! :lol:

Wish I could trade mine in for something useful! :twisted:
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

Tony Hill
Airman Basic

Post by Tony Hill »

Tako_Kichi wrote:
Tony Hill wrote:Wife....um, I swapped her for a 1944 vintage gunsight..... :lol: :lol:
WOW you got a good deal! :lol:

Wish I could trade mine in for something useful! :twisted:

As a wise man once told me...

"I got this gold ring for my wife"...........

"Not a bad swap"

letsgetrowdy
Senior Airman

Post by letsgetrowdy »

When you do, Scott, will it include any later marks aswell. I have a fond memory of sitting in IX MH434 at Goodwood and it would be great to relive it. :)

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

We have a V and IX created but if we brought these into FSX, they would come in as aircraft, not through an accu-sim pack.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Tony Hill
Airman Basic

Post by Tony Hill »

Scott - A2A wrote:We have a V and IX created but if we brought these into FSX, they would come in as aircraft, not through an accu-sim pack.

Scott.
Scott

Tony Bianchi always reckoned that the 1 and II's were the pick of the litter. The BBMF guys prefer the V by and large, or so I have seen them say in print and on DVD. The IX Bianchi rates as "dissapointing". Certainly the A2A Spitfire handles pretty much like the "in cockpit" video I have indicates and is much more fun to fly than the RealAir IX which exhibits all the "heaviness" that makes Bianchi prefer the earlier marques, whilst still being a beautiful aircraft.

For mine, the feeling of "acceleration" in the 1A far outweighs the feeling of "power" in the IX. 6lb boost and some right rudder and you are in the air in seconds.

I also LOVE the castoring tailwheel. Please don't change that in Accu-sim. I know RealAir decided to put fully steering on the IX (incorrectly) because they felt it made it easier to handle....but from what I can tell of your attitude "accu-sim" is exactly what it implies, to make it as real as possible.

Great to hear you don't intend to do a "batch" of Spitfires with a couple of figures tweaked to make each different, like some of the competition,

letsgetrowdy
Senior Airman

Post by letsgetrowdy »

I don't mind if the later spitfires aren't accu-simmed, i'd still cough up for them :lol:
The Realair spitfire is alright, but personally it's not my favourite because of:

-Slow Frame Rates
- No "aircraft" views
-Too easy to fly, no cowl flap control etc..
-VC is too simple compared to MH434's real cockpit.
-Lack of detail in riveting etc...

Not badmouthing it, just saying A2A could do a lot better...

Tony Hill
Airman Basic

Post by Tony Hill »

Agreed, on all counts.

Also, the Mk IX from RealAir is a cobbled together version from their XIV. (try flying cross country and measuring fuel usage, TAS etc.....) I asked them for some information regarding flying to the numbers, ONLY to clarify my flight planning for the long range PRU missions I was designing. Suddenly "we would love to help you with your simulator" turned into stony silence. I guess some people are selective in the feedback they want....

letsgetrowdy
Senior Airman

Post by letsgetrowdy »

Yeah....
Nice shots by the way of your spitfire cockpit :o

By the way, did you have any luck with those Mk.1 repaints I sent you?

Tony Hill
Airman Basic

Post by Tony Hill »

letsgetrowdy wrote:Yeah....
Nice shots by the way of your spitfire cockpit :o

By the way, did you have any luck with those Mk.1 repaints I sent you?

Cheers Mate,

Sorry, I'm at the office 15 or 16 hours a day the last two weeks. The FSX computer at home hasn't even been switched on! I will try them next weekend when things go back to normal. looking forward to it, they look spectacular!

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”