Spitfire K9817 Build

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
new reply
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Accusim and the single Spitfire....

Post by Killratio »

Thanks mate! The skinning has started (last night) I will post more photos when there is significant progress.

philip.ed wrote: Now where's the emoticon to bown down :D
No need for that, honestly...just forward 2 goats and your first born ..and we'll call it even :D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

Happily for more pics :mrgreen:

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Well, a long weekend of work...33 hours in all!

The skinning went reasonably well thanks to an electric staple gun. I wouldn't like to try to make those curves with Alu though...hats off to the restoration / serious cockpit builders!

Yesterday I had the good luck to be able to work with Polyethelene Primer. After three hour's sanding to roughen up all the skin surface, I got to the primer. This is the nicest solvent/paint/chemical I have ever worked with. The smell is devine, the fumes virtually non existent and the effects nil....at least that is how it feels until you pass out!! This is the NASTIEST stuff I have EVER had to use. I noticed my vision fading around the edges, recognised the symptoms and left the garage. By the time I made it to the front lawn I was on my knees!! And that was with a mask on and the garage door up and side door open to create airflow. I reckon any time you use this stuff you should really have a respirator on!

So a couple of hour's break and I went back in, finished it with four "mansized" tissues stuffed in the mask and left it to dry. Well, I say "dry" I actually mean "melt into the plastic". The whole garage stank of burning plastic (a smell we probably all remember from stuffing cotton wool into 1:72 models and "shooting them down in flames"). It DID however, prime the plastic.

Anyway, first coat of paint is on. Tonight, second coat..tomorrow Cabot's Floor Sealer and Wednesday Estapol Matt Varnish. That will all keep the paint solid, clean and importantly, darken it to the right colour inside. The floor sealer particularly is bomb proof!

I'll wait now to post pictures of the work...it makes me almost cry to see it all pulled apart after how close to finished it looked just a week ago...oh well
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

philip.ed wrote:Happily for more pics :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

On the home straight now!
First some detail shots of the interior
They pretty much speak for themselves.

The seat..with Sutton Harness now fitted (the other two straps will be attached, one behind the seat and one through and onto the back of the sim with an elastic "inertia lock real".

Armour plate waiting for it's next coat of paint.

A closer look at the undercarriage unti fairing

The bottom frame of the bullet proof windcreen with the sides of the front canopy frame.
Most of the bits to fix back in..the Lightbulb holder arrived an is currently drying..thank you Spits!

The "sound system"

The top coat of Cabots is on but isn't as shiny as I'd hoped. I think I will go get a gloss and use that for another top coat. Sorry but the flash obscures some of the features

And the final for tonight...the "signwriting". Painted by putting a cut stencil (adhesive) on the wall..had some fun with that twisting and sticking to itself but we got there. Pay no attention to the rough green line...that will be covered by the windscreen frame.

the shiny glow around the Moody Blue" is the "cloud" I painted on to break up the outline.

More to come Saturday night chaps

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

woohoo! 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

Beautiful!

You know if you want to get the helmet perfect, you can get a perfect reproduciton one although it is quite expensive and I wouldn't bother :wink:

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

philip.ed wrote:Beautiful!

You know if you want to get the helmet perfect, you can get a perfect reproduciton one although it is quite expensive and I wouldn't bother :wink:
Thanks for reminding me mate!! I can't find the link, I think it was a New Zealand company. I was nearly going to buy another modern helmet and mask to use but a reproduction WW2 would be great....do you have a link for it?

cheers

Darryl

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

Only an e-mail I am afraid. however, money-wise to have the correct mask and helmet you'd be looking at, maybe, around the £500 mark! It's expensive, but definately the best you can get. The correct chamois-covered microphone is very rare and unobtainable, but the guy who makes the helmet and mask can supply a microphone introduced in October 1940 which is black in colour called the type-21.

Here is a link to his eBay page in case you are interested: http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/izavailable I trust if you wanted to contact him, then you could do it via there. I am sorry if I have inadvertedly made you spend more money :oops:

:mrgreen:

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Thanks mate!!

I have found the guys in NZ who do a replica with modern civ/mil radio compatability. Both of these I can interface with the computer. They also have a Kevlar shell..which makes them safer for real Tiger Moth flying. I haven't received a price yet. I will contact your guy too...but I'm not sure how compatible with the computer or modern sockets I can make his avionics?

As of 11pm last night the structure is complete, the insides have been put back in and the cockpit itself is finished apart from a few extra bits including the Door Lever which is being made for me and the door to fit. (also de=icing pump, oxygen valve, which are not absolutely essential.) I also have a new switch coming from UK for the Radator Shutter but the eruption has delayed that.

Photos as soon as I get some time. As of right now I haven't even sat in her as the seat coating was still drying when I finished her last night. (still waiting for my upholsterer friend to do the seat back leather and head rest.)

My wife is half way through making a parachute harness which will include a cushion to sit on.

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

Well, I know people who have used his helmets for real flying so it shouldn't be a problem! :D although the mic probably won't function as it'll be 70 years old 8)
All you need are headphones (not attached to eachother) to slot in the leather-ear-housings on the side of the b-type helmet.

If you want more info on the helmet and having it wired up so you can use it as headphones, then maybe post on the RAF forum http://www.network54.com/Forum/180748/ as I am sure there are people there who can help more than me :D

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Thank you sir!

The mic is problematic as I need it to fly on-line eventually.

In the interim I can still use my HGU68 and MBU12/P setup or the modern leather helmet and Dave Clarkes, depending on how hot/cold it is...wearing the helmet in summer here boils your head in short order but I use it for the F-16 sim all the time anyway as it shuts the outside world right out. (plus the mask makes great Darth Vader noises :)

Should have pictures up tonight my time.

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

You can always insert a modern mic into the real one; asethetically you wouldn't see it :D

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Point taken on the Mic.

Ok, a series of the real thing and then mine to as she is now:

And some gratuitous detail and general shots:

Still a lot to do to make her "flyable" but sitting in her now is great. The leather seat back and headrest are being done, and Spits is making teh door mechanism for me..thanks mate...so it is all go. Hopefully an update soon.

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

That's amazing! :D

If you decided to play a combat flight simulator with it (like Il-2 or battle of britain) would it be possible to use the reflector gunsight or not? ;)

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”