Spitfire K9817 Build

Forever, Britain's most cherished Crown Jewel
Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Re: Accusim and the single Spitfire....

Post by Killratio »

Philip.Ed

Believe me, I looked long and hard for a joystick I could "graft" the spade onto....I couldn't find one.

The original budget for the Spitfire was A$2000. I, um, sort of blew that!!

Shouldn't have joined if I couldn't take a joke I guess.

.........................................................................................................................................
Another update for those of you interested:

The single exposure button is working (for taking screen shots) and the red light is functional. I have an idea for the green light but have to check if the "flashing" circuit I have will work. Otherwise I may well arm it with a flashing LED. We'll see.
I am very happy with how close Chris and I came with the mock up. It is very close in dimensions, just a fair bit thinner than the real one and a little smaller. Still, going off scaling from photos I am pleased. The real one will now take up residence, the fake one will be converted to a junction box for the wiring.

I finished the Windscreen De-Icing and it has now been engraved by Chris, white undercoat, black top coat and then laser off the black.It gives a magic finish as you can see.
Remote Contactor (mounting the Collins Radio instead of the timer) is also finished and this time raised tags engraved by Chris.

On then to the U/C controller unit
The cover that runs between the U/C unit and the panel frame was a major job. Measuring the angles and the bends to still fit squarely in the gap was a major stretch for me. I ended up leaving lots of excess and trimming it down to fit in. It compliments Gwyns U/C perfectly I think (to which i also added the small detail of the cylinder on the rear. Pictures: (I did however not notice the sawdust until after these shots DOH!!)
Image Image

I also found that I had given Gwyn the wrong picture of the Tank Pressurecock. So a little modification, a repaint and it was ready to go. Then I fabricated the front and rear plates to hold the legend and the rotary switch for thecock.
Assembled and fitted..(just some painting left to do)

The new version of the IFF Destruction Unit. NO COMMENT on this, at least none that is printable..but it looks OK now (ended up changing to a bigger "Emergency" warning label as Gwyn has agreed to make me a scale Emergency Undercarriage Lowering bottle , handle and valve, so it will be nice to draw more attention to it!!.

Another gratuitous compass shot...simply because I LOVE this bit!!!
The current "persons of interest"

a, a fairly busy section of "Spitfireville", the right hand side almost complete and test fitted before the skinning starts:

The Radiator Shutter Lever in progress. I cut two grooves up either side of a steel tube. Screwed a butterfly nut (wingnut) on the end of a threaded rod (with a locking nut) put a couple more along the length to stop the "play" inside the tube and topped it off with a nylex locking nut "button".
The bottom wooden stopper doubles as a mount for the Dowty switch.
When the button is depressed the against a compression spring it moves the butterfly nut down and this will disengange it from a "gate". The gate will have positions for each of the of the switch (four ..corresponding to Open, cruise, guns warm and closed, the four normal shutter positions.
The gate and mount is the next job.
The Morse Key mounting is my first compound curve (I cheated with the cockpit coaming) achieved by bending over and around an old jar lid. A simple looking piece but not easy to make. I think it came out satisfactorily though.

A few of the progress on the left cockpit wall.
The Throttle is painted, the handles painted and clearcoated, the red boost cut out now adjusted to the right colour, the mounting made more secure and I just need to make the "Airscrew Control" legend to go on the black lever closest. I think I will leave the others bare metal for effect.

The great Trim Wheel Gwyn made is, in some respects like the later ones and in others like the earlier version. As the primary focus is now the Spitfire 1A / 2A, I painted in the centre and it is now very like the early model. (another jar lid as a painting mask!!) The rudder trim is still wrong (Mustang) but I will replace that in due course.
All the levers, panels, handles and trims have now been clear coated and the duller finish is more in line with a warbird.
I've also added a third switch housing to the bottom of the other two ...so now have Pressure Head Heat, Fuel Pump (not strictly a Mk 1 or 2 feature!) and a Camera Master. I still need to get the chains to run dummies from the trim wheels.
That's about it for now.
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

simply stunning :shock:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Thanks Lewis, although I admit to having trouble dragging myself away from the Accusim B-17 for long enough to work on her this week!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

Your work is just breathtaking m8! ;)

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Thankyou Sir!

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

Are you just making this for FSX? Because, as oleg has said, Storm of War is just around the corner....;)

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

philip.ed wrote:Are you just making this for FSX? Because, as oleg has said, Storm of War is just around the corner....;)

At the moment it will just run FSX. There is no reason that the controls etc can't be configured to operate under any flightsim (or any that allow key assignments).

The problem comes with the functioning instrument panel. For that you need to be able to drag the info out of the sim..as FSUPIC does for FSX and the Sharedmem programs do for Falcon4, OF etc.

I am not a programmer and the gauges currently use proprietory Flight Illusions software to read FSX offsets. Software would have to be written and I doubt (at my age and with my spare time) I could ever write the necessary.

It has only just occured to me that the Accusim stuff does not appear to feed offsets to FSX but works independantly (see the current B-17 topic on 2d gauges not working on a separate screen)so I am in for problems there as well. I will probably have to pay someone to write a software interface......

Anyway, that is all AFTER I get it flying, thoroughly tested and the Acc Spit sees light of day. For now I just want two full weekends of work to finish her. Fingers crossed it is the next two!

Darryl

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

2 weeks be sure :D

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

I'm going to give it my best shot. Full final test fit today of everything I have so far except those items which attach purely to the skin (Lightbulb Holder, Morse Key) and those I still have to make/get (De-icing pump and tank, Emergency U/C bottle and possible mapbox)

I am just finishing off the Radiator Lever which will be functional and the seat adjust lever which will be a dummy.

Pictures tonight

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

The final test fit before pulling all the non essential stuff out and skinning the outside. Then on to painting next weekend. Pictures:
The front frame of the canopy section covering the accumulator and radios is where the sim ends at the back. I have now made this canopy frame from alu. In it the circular button at the top is for "canopy open/close" in FSX. This positioning means that to open or close the canopy you need to bring your hand up and over your head just as in the real thing. Hopefully a nice extra little touch of immersion.

The sutton Harness is just draped over the seat for this test fit. It will be installed tomorrow or Wed night.

The view behind the panel.

The engine instruments and fuel controls. It has never struck me until now how logically and conveniently placed all of these are, I have read criticisms of teh layout before today...can't understand them now. Just out of frame to the left of the Kygas is the main fuelcock.

The "six pack"
The other side.

The Full Monty.

I am so close now, I can smell it!!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool! :shock:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool! :shock:

Lewis, I think they have tablets to control that now....... :lol:

Thanks mate, appreciated. I am looking forward to being able to post a video.

Darryl

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

That is utterly BRILL. Can't wait to see the videos!
ImageImage
ImageImage

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief

Post by Killratio »

Thank you Sir!

Not too long now I hope.

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

This is simply amazing. Now where's the emoticon to bown down :D

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II”