Problems with Spitfire Rudder Trim

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
BigT-65
Senior Airman

Problems with Spitfire Rudder Trim

Post by BigT-65 »

I haven't flown the Spitfire lately but the other day I decided should retrain my takeoff and landing skills. I have FSUIPC but I don't think I have anything setup in it for the Spitfire. The joystick, throttle and rudder pedals are all configured in the P3D Options/Controls module. I am using P3Dv4.5, Saitek X56, and Saitek Rudder Pedals. This is what's happening. I set the rudder trim at 2.5 for takeoff, then I have a key mapped to return the trim to zero once I get off the ground. It does go to zero but within a few seconds it starts flipping around and either ends up a -10.0 or -7.6. If I hit my reset hot key if goes back to zero but quickly starts the flipping and going back to -10. It may be doing this even during the takeoff, I just can't see that and drive too. And it would explain why I am all over the place on the way down the runway. I have looked all through the Controls to see if I could find any conflicts but did not. What I haven't done and would like to do but don't know how is get all the settings in FSUIPC to show so I can see if there are any items setup in there. Is there a way to print out or see on the screen everything that may be setup in FSUIPC? I did a couple of searches in the forum but did not find any thing related to rudder trim problems like I am having.
i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 H.O.T.A.S.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Problems with Spitfire Rudder Trim

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello BigT,

Yes, this definitely sounds like a control conflict. FSUIPC stores pretty much all its key and button press assignment in the FSUIPC5.ini file which is located wherever you have the program installed. One way to quickly check if FSUIPC is the culprit without searching through this file in detail is to simply disable the software completely and see if the problem goes away. If it does, we've almost certainly narrowed down the cause in which case it's worth investigating the file in more detail.

The simplest way to disable FSUIPC is to temporarily move the FSUIPC5.dll into a different folder before launching P3Dv4.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

BigT-65
Senior Airman

Post by BigT-65 »

I disabled FSUIPC by moving the dll file and the problem is still there. I also took a ride in the P-51 military which in which I set the rudder trim to 5.0 for takeoff and it stayed there until I used the hot key to return it to zero. I didn't have any trouble with the rudder trim on several takeoffs and landings in that plane. I also took a flight in the Comanche 250 and it flew just fine too. It has to be something wrong with the Spitfire rudder trim. Everything else on the plane seems to be working as it should. Is there something in the aircraft.cfg file that I need to look at?
i7 8700K CPU @ 4.8 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 3000 memory, Gigabyte Aorus Z370 MB, EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra GPU 8GB GDDR6 Memory, MasterAir MA610P CPU cooler, 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 3 Asus 24" monitors, Saitek X56 H.O.T.A.S.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

If the problem doesn't seem to be FSUIPC, it's worth checking the Spitfire Input Configurator. Do you recall making any axis or button assignments here? There's nothing in the aircraft.cfg which will cause the trim to move on its own in this way and the issue is almost certainly a control conflict whereby another piece of hardware and/or software is sending inputs to the aircraft.

If there are no rudder trim devices mapped anywhere in the Input Configurator, please can you let us know exactly how you mapped the key to reset the rudder trim to zero, and what other hardware devices you're using for rudder trim?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

BigT-65
Senior Airman

Post by BigT-65 »

I checked the input configurator and there is nothing setup in there. When I assigned the rudder reset I looked up Rudder Trim (Center) in Options/Controls and assigned the Page Down Key. Page Down was already being used somewhere, I don't remember where, but it was something I would probably never use so I unassigned it there. I don't have any other devices being used for rudder trim. I have been setting the rudder trim manually with the mouse.

BigT-65
Senior Airman

Post by BigT-65 »

I need to update this topic. I gave up on the Spitfire so for the last couple of days I have been flying the B-17and didn't have any rudder problems. This evening just for the heck of it I loaded up the Spitfire to see if the rudder trim was still screwy. Guess what, everything is back to normal. Still don't know what was causing the rudder trim issue but it seems to have fixed itself. I will give it more testing in the next few days. Hopefully it will stay good.

BigT-65
Senior Airman

Post by BigT-65 »

I have another update. I figured out what was causing the rudder trim problem. Even though I have my joystick rudder twist function disabled because I now have rudder pedals I still needed to go into P3Dv4.5 Options/Controls/then choose my joystick, go to Calibrate Device then calibrate the Rz axis. After I did this all that rudder trim flipping and value changing stopped.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update and apologies for not replying sooner; anyway, I'm glad that you managed to track down the source of the control conflict. You should actually be able to completely remove the axis assignment for the twist stick rudder in the P3D controls settings. If you ever use the slew function though, it's quite handy to keep this axis just to slew heading.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”