Taxiing assistance...editing aircraft.cfg file

Intelligent, elegant, and dressed to kill
new reply
Styggron
Master Sergeant

Taxiing assistance...editing aircraft.cfg file

Post by Styggron »

Hello everyone,
Bought the Heinkell quite some time ago but only just tried to fly it now.

With the Avro Anson, user Bladerunner900 gave me a parameter to modify so I can taxi with the tailwheel.

THe Heinkell does not have a tail wheel but is still hard to taxi because I do not have left/right engine separate controls. Normally you just put engine right more than engine left and you can turn easily but this is not an option for me as my joystick only has one throttle control. So adjusting throttle up makes them both go the same power and differential brakes are messy to use.

Therefore I was wondering if I can change a parameter on the aircraft.cfg file which looks like this
point.0 = 1, 16.46, 0, -8.792, 3000, 0, 1.22, 30, 0.15, 3, 0.8, 12, 10, 0, 162, 200

What I did with the Avro Anson thanks to Bladerunner900 was change the 8th field.
I tried this here on the Heinkell. The 8th field was 30 I changed it to a 40, it seems a little better but it could be my imagination.

What is the 8th field here ? ie what does it do ?

Is there a number I can put in there to make the nose wheel turn a little more than what it does or anything to help taxxing ?

oh I think I also found a bug. If I open the Canopy of the A7 version. It opens but the sound effects keeps going as it is is opening and closing again and I cannot close it again.

Thanks everyone.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Re: Taxiing assistance...editing aircraft.cfg file

Post by mallcott »

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526949.aspx

Has the full descriptors for the .cfg file, so you can easily find the definition of the eighth parameter, as well as others.

What you are changing is the nosewheel steering angle in degrees.

Don't understand why differential brakes aren't working for you? Even if you don't have separate toe brakes you can allocated a button to left/right brake in addition to the main `brake` function. Simplicity itself and requires no mods to .cfg file or knowledge of internal sim workings. :D

As for differential engines you can easily select an individual engine for the single throttle if you need a bit more ooomph to make a tight turn, or you can use the mouse on the throttle itself. Use the standard engine selection setting in your sim, as advised to you last year on the Anson topic.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Hello again.

I tried a value of 60 for that parameter and external view does indicate a sharper angle and the steering is quicker. What does happen though is that if you go too fast, the wheel will skid and you go straight on. Same as any bird. So it would seem that the trick is, to not go too fast.

Just my observation.

:)

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

bladerunner900 wrote:Hello again.

I tried a value of 60 for that parameter and external view does indicate a sharper angle and the steering is quicker. What does happen though is that if you go too fast, the wheel will skid and you go straight on. Same as any bird. So it would seem that the trick is, to not go too fast.

Just my observation.

:)
35-40 should be more than enough, when enhanced by differential braking.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

mallcott wrote:35-40 should be more than enough, when enhanced by differential braking.
Yes. As I said in another thread, I have no real problems with the Heinkel steering, without any .cfg editing. I also have in fact, differential braking assigned to my CH Throttle for extra quick changes in direction.

Cheers.
Steve.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

mallcott wrote:https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526949.aspx

Has the full descriptors for the .cfg file, so you can easily find the definition of the eighth parameter, as well as others.

What you are changing is the nosewheel steering angle in degrees.

Don't understand why differential brakes aren't working for you? Even if you don't have separate toe brakes you can allocated a button to left/right brake in addition to the main `brake` function. Simplicity itself and requires no mods to .cfg file or knowledge of internal sim workings. :D

As for differential engines you can easily select an individual engine for the single throttle if you need a bit more ooomph to make a tight turn, or you can use the mouse on the throttle itself. Use the standard engine selection setting in your sim, as advised to you last year on the Anson topic.
Thank you for that.
I assigned differential left and right brakes but does not work too well the second you creep up with some speed and need to turn and not turning fast enough I hit those differential brakes say either left or right and it almost always stopps you abruptly and you need to gain momentum all over again.

As for engines, there is no key assignment for different engines in FSX that I can find this was the original issue wit the anson and what I wrote in that thread a long time ago. So if you have one joystick throttle how do you swap between which engine that single throttle controls and then how do you set it to both ?

If I have a single throttle what I need is like a checkbox that other A2A planes have where I can say ok left only now both, now left only etc

Overall I found just changing the original parameter of 30 to a 40 works best and yes it does skid so need to ensure I don't go too fast :) Thank you also for the link with the parameters :)
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

bladerunner900 wrote:
mallcott wrote:35-40 should be more than enough, when enhanced by differential braking.
Yes. As I said in another thread, I have no real problems with the Heinkel steering, without any .cfg editing. I also have in fact, differential braking assigned to my CH Throttle for extra quick changes in direction.

Cheers.
Steve.
Hello Bladerunner900
Yes I assigned left and right differentia brakes to my joystick's base buttons.

new reply

Return to “Heinkel He-219 "Uhu"”