He 219 External tank fuel system

Intelligent, elegant, and dressed to kill
new reply
goanna
Airman

He 219 External tank fuel system

Post by goanna »

Hi folks,
Have flown He 219 A-0/R6 through asia from Melbourne into southern europe. I am having a ball with this aircraft.
Upgraded at Vienna to He 219 A-2/R1.
Can any one tell me the if the external fuel tank provides additional range?
I see there are 3 fuel guages as usual but only two tanks available throuth the selectors.
Does one of the guages monitor the external tank?
Alternatively, does the aircraft use the external first allowing it to be jettisoned and leaving two full tanks internally?

Any information appreciated.
Flying over Mt Everest was fun, I have screen shot with altimeter indicating 8,800 meters and the raido altimeter reporting the sumit at less than 140 meters below the aircraft.
Happy flying.

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Re: He 219 External tank fuel system

Post by ROB - A2A »

In general the external dropable tanks are (almost) never gauged in any aircrafts I am aware of. Normally pilots use this fuel first, after the take-off, then the rest of the fuel in other tanks.

The H219 A-2 has three positions for the fuel selectors:

- the most forward one, lebeled in the cockpit as "1", is the front 1100 liters tank. You can read in the tooltip.

- the middle one, labeled "2u3", which is the abbreviation of "2 und 3" - "2 and 3" in English. In this position you use the fuel from the middle (500l) and rear (990l) tanks at a time. The tooltip says 1490 liters overall.

- the next position to the rear, lebeled as "900", is the dropable external tank which carry 900 liters.

So, with the external tank your fuel loadout - 1100 + 500 + 990 + 900 = 3490 liters - allows you to fly further. You have extra 900 liters.

Check also the A-5 version where you have two additional internal fuel tanks in the engine gondolas. The fuel selectors have similiar logic to the one from the A-2 version

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

goanna
Airman

Re: He 219 External tank fuel system

Post by goanna »

Rob,
Thank you, Perfectly clear now and I will do a long range flight today using the external supply first.
Much appreciated.

new reply

Return to “Heinkel He-219 "Uhu"”