Solid disc prop on Cub

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
kaha300d
Airman

Solid disc prop on Cub

Post by kaha300d »

Hello all,

I have a solid opaque disc as a prop on the Cub when facing from front:

https://vimeo.com/490769975

I had this also on the V35 (facing from front and from back), but un- and reinstalling cured it. Un- and reinstalling did not cure the Cub. What am I missing, or is it something that's known and can easily be fixed? I did not find any references to this anomaly in the net. I did get rid of all traces of the Cub after uninstalling and before reinstalling it. All A2A aeroplanes and are installed in the "Prepar3D V5 Add-ons" folder. I also use Akku-Feel V2. I did not yet check my other A2A aeroplanes on V5.1HF1.

I use V5.1HF1 on an I9-9900K, 32GB DDR4-3200, 2080TI, 4K, Win10 build 19042.685, Game Ready Driver 457.51.

Thank you for your help,
Karl

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Solid disc prop on Cub

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Karl,

This isn't a known issue. Have you modified the shaders in your P3Dv5 installation at all, or installed any mods for the Cub such as repaints?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

kaha300d
Airman

Post by kaha300d »

Hello Nick,

The fallback.2 path in the texture.cfg files does not work for some reason.

if I create a folder texture one level above with all the shared textures in it and set the fallback.1 path to ..\texture (it's already set to that by default).

See the 3 screenshots. It works for the V35, one level above (fallback.1), but not for the Cub, 2 levels above (fallback.2). One level above (fallback.1) also works for the Cub.

Karl
Attachments
does not work
does not work
Prop_J3.png (170.11 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
works
works
Prop_V35.png (181.42 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
works
works
Prop-J3_a.png (170.31 KiB) Viewed 4449 times

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Karl,

If the fallback.2 path wasn't working, there'd be lots of missing textures; not just the prop failing to render correctly as shown in your video.

Could you confirm if you've modified any of the textures, or whether you've installed any shader mods as I asked above? Could you also let us know whether you installed using the standalone installer for P3Dv5, or via Orbx Central?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

kaha300d
Airman

Post by kaha300d »

Nick, I did not modify any textures, nor did I install any shader mods. I'm using the A2A standalone installer.

I can anytime reproduce that.

Karl

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Karl,

Could you let us know which other add-ons you currently have installed? It looks like another add-on texture is being loaded instead of the correct one. It may be that something like a scenery add-on is the culprit if the situation is similar to the one described here.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

kaha300d
Airman

Post by kaha300d »

My list of addons is very, very long. Your hint made me do some investigation, Nick.

First I reset my installation to the status that shows the solid disk on the Cub. Then I switched off a bunch of scenery addons. And Bingo!, the prop on the Cub was ok then. I can switch on /off the prop by activating/deactivating scenery.

So, the Cub is behaving perfectly, looks like we have to blame LM?

Karl

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the update Karl, good to know we now have a better idea where the unwanted texture is coming from. If the fallback system isn't working as expected with that default structure, it may be worth trying a simplified version of the texture.cfg for the Cub, for example:

Screenshot 2020-12-15 210138.png
Screenshot 2020-12-15 210138.png (8.04 KiB) Viewed 4413 times
(Had to attach this as an image, as the Wordfence site protection wouldn't let me post the above text!)

I'm not 100% sure this will work, but might be worth a try.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

kaha300d
Airman

Post by kaha300d »

Thank you Nick for your help.

I found the scenery which is causing the solid prop disc. In the addon xml file texture categories are bound to type global. I changed that the same way as explained in the thread you posted the link to. Now the prop works as it should with the default installation structure of the Cub.

I think I would rather not change the Cub installation for two reasons:
- any update will revert to default
- other aeroplanes could also be hit by this bug in the sim so I would have to change those as well.

Maybe A2A could think about implementing a simpler structure for the Cub (V35 works) in an upcoming update?

But actually I'm ok now.

Thx,
Karl

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Aha, good stuff Karl and you're welcome. We'll indeed bear this in mind for any future updates to the Cub as I suspect having the first fallback entry aliased to just "..\texture" may be related to the issue.

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”