Can't Update New P3D V5 Cub Install

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
David_MC
Airman

Can't Update New P3D V5 Cub Install

Post by David_MC »

I have recently installed P3D V5 and have been reinstalling all of my addons into the new sim. I reinstalled and updated the C172, C182, Comanche, Cherokee, P-51, P-40, T-6, and the V35 without any issues. However, when I try to install and update the J-3, the installation goes smoothly but the updater gives me an access denied error. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, ran the updater as an administrator, downloaded a new installed from the store, and made sure my AV was not blocking the file but the issue persists.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Can't Update New P3D V5 Cub Install

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello David,

can you please just confirm you are download and installing the P3Dv5 software and not the v4 software?

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

David_MC
Airman

Post by David_MC »

It was the V5 version.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Thank you David, can you please let us know the exact error message you are receiving?

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

David_MC
Airman

Post by David_MC »

All I get is an "Error: Access Denied" message.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello David,

The updater for the J-3 is exactly the same as for the other P3Dv4/v5 products so not sure why you're seeing this issue. You mention making sure your AV software is not blocking the file, but please can you confirm which AV suite you use?

The updater for the J-3 is located in the following folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\A2A Simulations\PiperJ3" so it may be worth navigating to this location, right clicking "updaterP3D5.exe" and selecting "run as administrator".

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

David_MC
Airman

Post by David_MC »

Nick, I'm using Bitdefender as my AV suite. Unfortunately, running the updater as an administrator doesn't make a difference.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks David - I wonder if Bitdefender deleted part of the install? It's the one AV engine that caused a few false positives during testing. Is the contents of the "C:\Program Files (x86)\A2A Simulations\PiperJ3" folder consistent with the corresponding folders for the other Accu-Sim planes you have installed? As well as the updater, it should contain a *.ini file.

As a workaround to using the updater for the J-3, you can manually download and run the update from this URL on our server.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

David_MC
Airman

Post by David_MC »

The .ini file is there and the folder contains all of the other updaters and the J-3 one is the only one giving me trouble.

Unfortunately, I am unable to download the file via the URL you provided. Either Bitdefender blocks it as dangerous or when I do shut down Bitdefender, I still get an access denined error.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Sounds like Bitdefender has marked this URL as dangerous within its internal config files for some reason David, even though it's digitally signed. Maybe you'll be able to download the file from its backup location on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxzr0dnoj94tm ... 0.exe?dl=1.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

David_MC
Airman

Post by David_MC »

Dropbox link also doesn't work for me. Bitdefender still flags the download as a threat and even when I add the URL to my exclusions list, I still get an "insufficient permissions" or "network" error.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

you'll need to exclude in bit defender the whole of A2A.com and also I recommend the entire P3D Addons folder till you get this sorted.

Bit Defender sounds like its done a real number on your system and having been the victim of bitdefenders ability to ruin a system with zero user input I can totally relate to the issue you have encountered. If you go into your logs, though Bitdefender annoyingly wont always tell you everything, there is normally some clues as to what it has done and also what it may have "quarantined" (bit defender version of quarantine is often the same as deletion so be aware of that, in such a case ive yet to find a way to get files back other than full re installs and restarts of the system of the software affected).

thanks,
Lewis

David_MC
Airman

Post by David_MC »

I added the exception for a2asimulations.com, the necessary game folders, and re-downloaded and reinstalled the Cub but the issue is still persisting. I just don't understand why only the Cub is giving me issues when the other 8 A2A aircraft I installed and updated had no such issues.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

There's nothing different about the Cub updater David and in fact it only installs an updated version of the Windshield.dll. As you also have the rest of the Accu-Sim fleet installed, you actually won't see any difference if you do run the Cub update so it's probably not worth worrying about too much at this stage.

However, why Bitdefender is continuing to block access to the file from your system is certainly mysterious. Maybe it's flagged the file based on its MD5 or SHA1 checksum or something. To be honest, I tend to agree with 'CAPFlyers' post on Bitdefender here.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”