Cannot start Piper J3

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Bushp
Airman Basic

Cannot start Piper J3

Post by Bushp »

I've recently reinstalled (a few months back) the FSX Piper J3 and all is well until I tried flying the Tundra model. The aircraft loads but the engine is not started like they do in FSX and you cannot start the engine using the ctrl-e or manually and the aircraft loads without any fuel in the tank, and the prop is always in the 12(Top) and 6 (Bottom) postion. All the other A2A J3 load normal Reg, float and ski. Even the add on Tundra planes load the same way, can't start and no fuel.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dale

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Cannot start Piper J3

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Dale,

can you let me know which platform you are using, what is your default flight and how you are loading into the sim etc.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Bushp
Airman Basic

Post by Bushp »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 04:28 Hello Dale,

can you let me know which platform you are using, what is your default flight and how you are loading into the sim etc.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
Hi Lewis,

I'm using Win 10 Ver10.0.18363, FSX (Deluxe Version, Gold color on box) loads to Post Mills (2B9) and when I do fly I go to Flight Planner and load a flight I've created from there. Post Mills and what other flights I load, I get the same result as mentioned above, no gas and won't start.

Thanks
Dale

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

Sorry about all the questions, just trying to understand the exact setup and overall picture to nail down to where the issue is;

Is your FSX all updated to SP2 standard using either SP1 and 2 for FSX or the Acceleration expansion package? (Please note a working FSX updated to SP2 is a requirement for most add-ons, the old copies not on steam sometimes need the FSX service packs to be added manually)

have you tried a brand new flight instead of a flight load?

Can you please tell me what the default flight is aside from the location?

Is the aircraft in need of a fix in the maintenance hangar and or have all its fuel correctly loaded in the passenger and flight loading pop up panel for the Cub?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

You've mentioned that the tundra Cub has no fuel. Without fuel it cannot start. What happens if you try to add fuel via the 2D panel? I believe the Cub is one A2A aircraft that will refuel if you park at a fuel spot, so try that too.

I have no idea why the tundra version would be any different, but if you were to start a flight with one of the other Cubs and get it started, then switch to the tundra version, it should work.

Hook

Bushp
Airman Basic

Post by Bushp »

Lewis - A2A wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 02:51 Hello,

Sorry about all the questions, just trying to understand the exact setup and overall picture to nail down to where the issue is;

Is your FSX all updated to SP2 standard using either SP1 and 2 for FSX or the Acceleration expansion package? (Please note a working FSX updated to SP2 is a requirement for most add-ons, the old copies not on steam sometimes need the FSX service packs to be added manually)

have you tried a brand new flight instead of a flight load?

Can you please tell me what the default flight is aside from the location?

Is the aircraft in need of a fix in the maintenance hangar and or have all its fuel correctly loaded in the passenger and flight loading pop up panel for the Cub?

thanks,
Lewis
Hi Lewis,
I know this is a very strange problem.

1. FSX has SP1 & SP2 installed and no Acceleration expansion package.
2. I created a new flight plan, same result.
3. All the Pipers (Tundra) ctrl menu's do not work, There's a very quick flash of the menu and gone.
4. If I go into FSX "aircraft" "fuel and Payload" it shows the Piper has 11.86 gallons. Fuel gauge on the Piper is all the way down
5. As mentioned, the propeller is straight up & down, the reason I mention this it always loads this way with this problem - Tundra only
6. You can start the Piper, you see the puff of smoke, you can hear the engine run but the propeller does not rotate. It run's for about 5 seconds.
7. I'm not sure what you mean what the default flight is aside from the location?
8. I'm getting a feeling that this problem is going to be a pain to figure out. So I was wondering what file keeps track of the hrs you have flown in the Piper, and that I would bite the bullet and re install the Piper. It's going to be a crappy weekend here, It will give something to do. :-)

Thanks again,
Dale

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Dale,

Just to chime in, have you downloaded and run the latest Accu-Sim update from here since installing the J-3?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Bushp
Airman Basic

Post by Bushp »

Nick,
I do have that update installed.

Thanks
Dale

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Dale - please can you also let us know the answer to Lewis's question above:
Lewis - A2A wrote: 05 Jun 2020, 02:51 Can you please tell me what the default flight is aside from the location?
By default flight, we mean which aircraft first loads in the rotating preview window in the "Free Flight" screen when you launch FSX?

Also, please can you check that the 2-D panel transparency isn't set to 100% in the FSX display settings.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Bushp
Airman Basic

Post by Bushp »

Nick,

1. When FSX is loading there's the "Splash Screen" followed with what FSX it is loading and then the screen comes up with the stock Piper Cub at Post Mills runway. From there I would change to the A2A Piper Cub aircraft and then load a flight plan.
2. When I navigate to the "Free Flight Menu" the stock Piper Cub (wheeled) is in the Current Aircraft window.
3. FSX 2-D Transparency is set at 10%. What setting for this are you recommending?
4. I did make a typo saying the all the ctrl menu's did not work, It should have been all the Shift menu's. Shift 3, 4, etc just a brief flash. Tundra model only.
5. I tried to send pics but I couldn't.

Thanks again,
Dale

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the info Dale. 10% should be fine for transparency.

Please can you try deleting the following file in case it's become corrupted. The sim should generate a new one next time you load the tundra tyre model.

Documents\A2A\FSX\PiperJ3\J3Tlog.dat

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. If you'd like to share a screesnhot, you can either upload to a file sharing site and post a link as described here, or you can use the "attachments" tab below the message window to add a jpeg image to your forum post.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Bushp
Airman Basic

Post by Bushp »

So I deleted the J3Tlog.dat file and I fired up FSX twice and loaded the Piper Tundra Tire, no file was re generated. I refreshed & shut down File Explore still nothing showed up. I will check out a file sharing site, as for your Forum page, under this message box there are only 4 boxes, "Cancel" Save Draft" "Preview" and "Submit".

Thanks Again Nick,
Dale

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Dale,

Sounds like something is preventing write access for the Accu-Sim module.

However, it's very strange that only the tundra variant is affected. Are you sure all the other versions are behaving as expected?
Bushp wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 11:43 (...) for your Forum page, under this message box there are only 4 boxes, "Cancel" Save Draft" "Preview" and "Submit".
The "Attachments" tab is beneath these buttons, next to the "Options" tab.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Bushp
Airman Basic

Post by Bushp »

Hi Nick,

The Ski, Float, and Wheeled Variants work as they should. Full tank and engine running. The "Shift" 3,4,6,7,8. all work also. Planes can be manually started also.
I checked again and the 3Tlog.dat still not created.

Thanks
Dale

Bushp
Airman Basic

Post by Bushp »

Hi Nick,

Have not heard from you for a couple of days. I have sent a link so you can view a video I made of the problem with the Tundra. I know this is a strange problem but it is real. So I really want to use the Tundra model so I will be doing an uninstall and a re install of your product. and many thanks for your help!

Dale

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153646254 ... res/q2ZLDX

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”