Take off on water and weight

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
BrianV
Airman

Take off on water and weight

Post by BrianV »

Hi, I am not able to get airborne with the Cub in P3D 4.5 when taking off on water with Heidi onboard, unless I disable accusim. Is this how it should be, or should it be able to lift 2 people when taking off from water? Thanks for any advice.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Take off on water and weight

Post by Scott - A2A »

BrianV wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 14:44 Hi, I am not able to get airborne with the Cub in P3D 4.5 when taking off on water with Heidi onboard, unless I disable accusim. Is this how it should be, or should it be able to lift 2 people when taking off from water? Thanks for any advice.
Brian,

First make sure you have the latest updates. The challenge is to get this on the step with all the weight in front. Apply full throttle and pull back about 3/4 on the stick and watch your airspeed. At some point you will feel the airplane "stand up." Then keep just enough back pressure to keep it on the step. Too much will create too much drag, too little and you will also create too much drag. Just tune in intently to how the floats are interacting with the water.

You also need to take advantage of waves that will temporarily bump you into the air. When this happens, don't pull back too hard as you will stall and end up back on the water. Be gentle. Let us know how it works.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

how are you setting up the payloads?

And can you describe in as much details as you can how your are attempting it.

It can take a while a long takeoff needed for heavy loads and a lot of on the edge stalling to get to that magic point where you are gliding across the water and half flying and then its a very very slight climb to pull away.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

BrianV
Airman

Post by BrianV »

Hi Scott and Lewis, many thanks for your insightful comments. I went back and had another go at it, and you are right. It is a question about keeping the nose down on the plane long enough to gain airspeed, and then she gracefully lifts into the air from the water. All good, so please consider it resolved. I wish you and yours a very Happy Easter, and keep safe.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Happy flying in the virtual skies

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”