Stutter on landing and on unpaved runway

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
RALF9636
Airman

Stutter on landing and on unpaved runway

Post by RALF9636 »

First of all thanks for updating the Cub for P3D v4! I missed it.

Unfortunately I encounter a heavy stutter whenever the main wheels touch down. FPS momentarily go down to single digits (when they are steady at my locked 24 through the rest of the flight). That happens on every touchdown regardless of the surface. On unpaved runways it happens additionally everytime the wheels hit a bump, so every second or so on the landing and takeoff run. Makes it barely controllable.

It only happens with the Cub. Never had this issue with your other aircraft (and just tested with the C182: no issue).

Any idea?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Stutter on landing and on unpaved runway

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Ralf,

I suspect the stutter may be linked to either a touchdown sound being played on your system, or a particle effect.

Please can you give us a little bit more info on your PC setup so that we can help you get started with troubleshooting the issue.

One thing you could try to check if it is a sound effect causing the issue is to temporarily rename the folder "Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\A2A\A2A\PiperJ3\Sounds". For example, if you rename this folder to something like "#Sounds" and the stutter still happens without any sounds being played, it gives us a bit more info.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

RALF9636
Airman

Post by RALF9636 »

I can confirm that the stutters are gone when I rename the "sounds" folder.

Another observation: The stutters only happen in the virtual cockpit, not in an outside view.

My PC specs: 8700K @ 5.0, HT off, 1080TI, 16 GB RAM. What else do you need to know?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for checking that.

What hardware are you using for audio playback? For example, are you using speakers plugged into the audio port on your motherboard, a standalone audio card, or something like a USB device? In either case, I recommend you check that you have the latest drivers installed from the device manufacturer.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

RALF9636
Airman

Post by RALF9636 »

Speakers plugged into the normal audio port of the motherboard, no audiocard or USB device.

For testing I have set the sound device in P3D to the NVIDIA audio which is connected to my monitor via HDMI. Same stutters.

Drivers are up to date.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Sounds like something is causing your system to struggle when playing simple *.wav sound files. Please can you just let us know what other utilities are running on your PC when this issue happens? This includes other P3D add-ons and also stuff like antivirus software.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

RALF9636
Airman

Post by RALF9636 »

I have already turned off all other applications to rule these out. No antivirus software. What kind of P3D addons are you looking for? I have quite a lot I'm afraid.

But it can't be just about "simple wav files", it must be something special to the Cub wav-files. I don't have these problems with the C182, the Comanche or the Bonanza (or any aircraft of other developers).

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yes, it's a bit mysterious. I'm guessing that there may be a conflict with another piece of software which is also accessing P3D. Please could you list any global P3D add-ons which are running? Not stuff like other aircraft or scenery but add-ons in the 'utility' category.

Also, any running software that's displayed in the system tray?

Finally, please can you let us know the path to the folder in which your A2A add-ons are installed?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

RALF9636
Airman

Post by RALF9636 »

I have deactivated all addons I could think of and find in the Options/Add-ons menu and as well in the dll.xml and exe.xml files for testing (the only ones left were FSUIPC and Couatl). Also nothing in the system tray. The stutters are still there.

I could narrow it down to the wav files 1-28. With 1.wav to 28.wav removed (and all others on): no stutters. But it is not a single file of the 1 - 28. There are light stutters with any one of these files (tested in groups of five) and the stutters get worse the more of these files are active.

My A2A aircraft are installed here (which is a secondary SSD, while P3D is located at C:\Flight Simulation\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4):

D:\Flight Simulation\Prepar3D V4 Addons\Addon Airplanes\A2A\

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the info Ralf.

Just to clarify, these stutters are only present when the aircraft is taxying or landing; not when in flight?

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

RALF9636
Airman

Post by RALF9636 »

Correct.

On touchdown and when taxiing on unpaved ground. Not on paved taxiways / runways. So probably always when the gear suspension gets under load.

Everything is smooth during flight.

And only in virtual cockpit. Doesn't happen when in outside view.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks.

You mentioned earlier that you don't have any antivirus software, but presumably the default Windows Security suite is installed and running?

Would you be happy to try adding an exclusion for the folder where your A2A add-ons are located? (In your case, "D:\Flight Simulation\Prepar3D V4 Addons\Addon Airplanes\A2A")

To do this, follow the steps here.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

RALF9636
Airman

Post by RALF9636 »

The whole...\addon airplanes folder is already excluded. ;-)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Ralf - will do some consulting with the guys and get back to you.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

RALF9636
Airman

Post by RALF9636 »

Thanks!

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”