J3 Install

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
bucky60
Airman

J3 Install

Post by bucky60 »

I saw the J3 available for P3Dv4 and purchased it. Installed it into the default directory shown below:

C:\Users\mark\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\A2A_PiperJ3 (with all the other J3 directories) The other A2A aircraft is also installed in the same SimObjects directory and they all work.

P3Dv4 is installed in C;\games\lockheedmartin\Prepar3Dv4, so it's not in the Lockheed Martin default.

The main J3 is available, but it;s accusim isn't available. The other J3's pictures don't show up in the select plane preview window and they don't show up as visible when in game.

I figure these is some configuration file with bad pointers or something. Could you help me resolve this?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: J3 Install

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Mark,

The location "C:\Users\mark\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SimObjects\A2A_PiperJ3" isn't the default directory for add-ons to be installed. Instead this folder is where P3D generates and saves its configuration files and so on.

Have you installed other A2A aircraft to this directory in the past? If so, did they use the same type of installer or an earlier version?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

bucky60
Airman

Post by bucky60 »

That was the default from the installer. When installing, I just hit the Next button. This seem to install where all the other A2A aircraft installed. I have ALL the current p3Dv4 A2A aircraft. All work perfectly except the latest J3.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks for the additional info. It sounds like you must have manually selected this folder for some reason when installing your first A2A product for P3Dv4. Subsequent product installs will then have defaulted to the same directory.

To be honest, if you're happy with the products in this location then you could leave them there as the directory is unlikely to be related to the issue you're experiencing.

However, please can you try to clarify what you mean when you say "the main J3 is available, but its accusim isn't available"?

Also, can you let us know exactly which subversion of P3Dv4 you currently have installed? Both "client" and "content" components of P3Dv4 must be updated to at least P3Dv4.4 status to use PBR models such as the J-3 Cub.

Regards,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

bucky60
Airman

Post by bucky60 »

Prepar3D_v4_Professional_4.4.16.27077

Both the Client and P3D is in the zip file.

I heard 4.5 is current. Should I just try and install that?

Is this the first PBR plane? All the other A2A aircraft seem to work just fine.

Madison
Airman Basic

Post by Madison »

I am having the same issue described here however I do have all my A2A aircraf installed in the correct locations. I was on an older version of P3Dv4 and have since updated with no avail to 4.5. Additionally I have uninstalled and done a fresh install of 4.5 with the same problem.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

bucky60 wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 19:56 Prepar3D_v4_Professional_4.4.16.27077

Both the Client and P3D is in the zip file.

I heard 4.5 is current. Should I just try and install that?

Is this the first PBR plane? All the other A2A aircraft seem to work just fine.
The Cessna 172 was also updated to use PBR recently. In your case, if it's just the J-3 Cub which isn't showing, it's highly likely that the 'client' and 'content' components of your P3D installation aren't properly updated.

So yes, I recommend that you update both to the latest versions on the Lockheed Martin website.

If this doesn't work, I suggest a clean reinstall of all your A2A add-ons to use the default install location which is "Documents/Prepar3D v4 Add-ons"

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Madison wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 20:54 I am having the same issue described here however I do have all my A2A aircraf installed in the correct locations. I was on an older version of P3Dv4 and have since updated with no avail to 4.5. Additionally I have uninstalled and done a fresh install of 4.5 with the same problem.
Please can you start a new topic Madison so that we can better track of your issue.

Generally speaking, if PBR add-ons aren't showing it indicates either that the 'client' and 'content' components of your P3D installation aren't properly updated or that the shaders in the simulator have been modified. In your new topic, please can you you let us know if you use any shader modification utilities.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

bucky60
Airman

Post by bucky60 »

Thank you for your help. I finally tried to install P3DV4.5. For some reason it would not install correctly. I spent the entire day installing, repairing. Finally I uninstalled and then installed and it finally worked. Both the C172 PBR and J3 PBR are working properly.

Again, thanks for your help.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome and thanks for the update. Seems a few customers are reporting that updates of Prepar3Dv4 to the latest version haven't gone smoothly for some reason. I suspect it's due to some existing files from earlier P3D versions being left over, but hard to be sure as each of our P3Dv4 installations tend to be different.

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”