Can't Maintain a Forward Slip

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
OlyRick
Airman Basic

Can't Maintain a Forward Slip

Post by OlyRick »

BACKGROUND
When I first installed FSX I was able to forward slip the FSX J3, which was the only aircraft I used. After a couple of weeks, I unexpectedly found that I could no longer perform the forward slip. I am not asking for help with the technique for performing a forward slip. I am seeking help with what I believe is a technical problem.

PROBLEM
Regardless of the amount of aileron used, I cannot create enough offsetting rudder force to enter a slip. The best I can get is a slow slipping turn in the direction of bank. Reducing the amount of aileron applied, while holding full opposite rudder, reduces but does not stop the turn in the direction of the bank. If I apply a small amount of aileron, e.g. for a 10-15 degree turn, any opposite rudder applied just cancels the bank.

WHAT I HAVE DONE
1. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to execute a forward slip in the following aircraft: A2A Cub, FSX J3, FSX 172 and the Justflight 152.

2. I have experimented with various control settings in FSX for my CH yoke and rudder pedals. I see full travel of the rudder using the CH and FSX calibration tools. All calibration has been done in the CH tool only. I have also disconnected the rudder pedals and used the keyboard rudder controls. The result is the same. During all of these tests I see full deflection of the rudder from external and internal views of the aircraft.

3. The problem persists regardless of the realism settings, from easy to hard with all settings to the right. The result is the same, even with the A2A Cub, which does an excellent job of modeling a forward slip. In regards to the A2A Cub, I have read the relevant posts on the forum concerning problems with forward slips and have ensured that all of the realism settings are correct. I have also applied the 1.1 and 1.11 fixes.

4. All of this led me to the conclusion that the problem could be in FSX. So, I uninstalled FSX completely, along with the CH drivers and then did a clean reinstall. After the reinstall, I have the same problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dooce
Airman Basic

Re: Can't Maintain a Forward Slip

Post by Dooce »

My father experienced the same thing when we were flying our Cubs together, he was talking about the ailerons almost being non-existant, having to use all rudder while I kept reassuring him that it flies beautifully. It turned out his "General" slider in the realism settings was one tiny notch from being full right, and that made all of the difference in the world.

Do the ailerons feel way too unresponsive, even for a cub? When you bank one way or the other and let off the controls, does it seem to automatically level itself? These are a couple signs that your General realism slider isn't all the way right. Check and double check even if it appears that the slider is full right, even one little notch from full will result in a terrible flight model.

I know you were quite reassuring in your post that your realism settings are correct, but if your Cub is flying like I described, it is worth one more "click and drag" on the sliders to ensure they are to the end.

OlyRick
Airman Basic

Post by OlyRick »

Dooce:
I checked my realism settings again and unfortunately, they are as they should be, all the way to the right.

Thanks for your reply.

OlyRick

AdamMil
Airman Basic

Post by AdamMil »

Sorry to necro such an old thread, but I ran into the same problem and wanted to share the solution I found in case it helps anyone else. My general realism slider was in the correct position, but somehow the "autorudder" option got turned on. Turning it off gave me correct rudder behavior again.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

No worries on the old thread, thanks for posting your extra settings check solution.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”