Cub won't stay running after starting.

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
ABQ-Man
Airman Basic

Cub won't stay running after starting.

Post by ABQ-Man »

The cub starts and then stops and then starts again and then stops again. This is using CTRL+E. It did not do this before the V1.1 fix was installed. The install seemed to work fine. This happens when I start a new flight from scratch and not using a saved flight. A saved cub flight freezes FSX after about 5 minutes into a flight and this didn't happen before the V1.1 fix was installed. I cannot use the cub now since the install of V1.1. Is there a way to back off this fix.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Cub won't stay running after starting.

Post by Scott - A2A »

This is not likely due to anything in v1.1. Can you check that your SETTINGS / REALISM / Auto Mixture is off?

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

ABQ-Man
Airman Basic

Post by ABQ-Man »

Scott, yes the Settings - Realism, Engines, enable automixture is unchecked and unlimited fuel is unchecked.

ABQ-Man
Airman Basic

Post by ABQ-Man »

This starting and stopping and the screen shaking violently only happens when I load a new aircraft or start a new game. Previously saved games do not have this problem and seem OK.

GlennC
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by GlennC »

ABQ-Man,

What happens if you use the Shift-3 pop-up and use Engine auto-start rather than Ctrl-E? They may be the same thing, maybe not.

Glenn

ssanchez
Airman

Post by ssanchez »

Hello, I have the same problem...

It was working fine, until this morning...

I was trying to close the door... I hit CTRL-E instead of SHIFT-E... A few seconds later my engine dies and I am unable to restart it ever since.

I even tried the Autostart option in the AccuSim screen, engine starts for 5 seconds then dies again...

Throttle doest seem to work. I push it and the RPMs stay at 500

Outside view shows LOTS of black smoke

Help!!!

****** Fixed... sort of...

OK... The engine needed to be overhauled... Now my question is... why accidentaly hitting CTRL-E with the engine running will trigger an overhaul?

I mean... Im sure this is not the only time this will happen to me, and Im sure Im not the only one to do this...

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

ssanchez wrote:Now my question is... why accidentaly hitting CTRL-E with the engine running will trigger an overhaul?
Ever accidentally tried starting your car when it was already running? :wink:
Doesn't require rebuilding the engine, but still not good for it. You were probably close to overhaul anyway.

ssanchez
Airman

Post by ssanchez »

Bruce Hamilton wrote:
ssanchez wrote:Now my question is... why accidentaly hitting CTRL-E with the engine running will trigger an overhaul?
Ever accidentally tried starting your car when it was already running? :wink:
Doesn't require rebuilding the engine, but still not good for it. You were probably close to overhaul anyway.
Somehow I believe re-starting the engine in a cub while its already running, would require more Overhauling my arm than the engine...

Then again... I would never even think about trying it... The engine is 3 hrs old... How is that even close to overhaul?

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

ssanchez wrote:The engine is 3 hrs old... How is that even close to overhaul?
Depends on what you did during those 3 hours, I've had to overhaul after less than 2. :lol:

ssanchez
Airman

Post by ssanchez »

Bruce Hamilton wrote:
ssanchez wrote:The engine is 3 hrs old... How is that even close to overhaul?
Depends on what you did during those 3 hours, I've had to overhaul after less than 2. :lol:
I flew 30 miles, did 5 T&G and a full stop landing.

As I said. The plane was fine until I did the CTRL-E thing

I bet if I do it again it will have to be overhauled again

Joachim
Unteroffizier Anwaerter

Post by Joachim »

When my Cub does not stay runnng or not show full power for T/O overhaul is the answer for me.
After all overhaul is just a click away.
Overhaul for a TWA plane took a long time, so with only a click it is perfect
Joachim.
Hals und Bein Bruch,
Glider Pilot 1940 - 1942
Obergefreiter und Flugzeugfuehrer 1944[img]

kenarmstrong
Airman

Post by kenarmstrong »

I've read through the responses but haven't found a solution. When I go to fly the cub, the engine will start, run 10 seconds and stop. It will do this two or three times each time I click the auto start engine in the accusim panel. When the engine starts, there is no acceleration - just some black smoke and a lot of shaking. There is no sign of engine overhaul or anything like that. All settings have been set as prescribed. What do I need to do in order to get up and flying? Thanks for your help.

snave
Staff Sergeant

Post by snave »

kenarmstrong wrote:I've read through the responses but haven't found a solution. When I go to fly the cub, the engine will start, run 10 seconds and stop. It will do this two or three times each time I click the auto start engine in the accusim panel. When the engine starts, there is no acceleration - just some black smoke and a lot of shaking. There is no sign of engine overhaul or anything like that. All settings have been set as prescribed. What do I need to do in order to get up and flying? Thanks for your help.
Smoke is a sure sign of the need for overhaul.
Simon Evans

kenarmstrong
Airman

Post by kenarmstrong »

I haven't really run the cub to warrant an overhaul. I don't even have 15 minutes on the program because of continual problems I'm trying to solve. BTW how do you overhaul the engine as I haven't gotten that far yet? K.

snave
Staff Sergeant

Post by snave »

It's Accusim, not Time-usim. If you haven't got round to reading the manual yet then consider that it is HIGHLY likely that you've blown the engine and an overhaul is required. It has nothign to do with how `long` you've had it, only how badly you've treated it.

Overhaul is covered in the main (not Accu-sim) manual. Suggest read it. Then apply it.

Finally, what altitude or density altitude are you trying to start the engine at?
Simon Evans

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub Tech Support”