LOC/DME Approach plate tutorial needed.

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
lowew79
Airman First Class

LOC/DME Approach plate tutorial needed.

Post by lowew79 »

Hello I need a bit of a class on how to read this approach chart I've tried doing some internet research myself and I got a lot of good info but there are still a few things I don't understand here.

At the bottom here it shows the vertical path, what is the bold "X" for (at NIBUW)?

Further down, what the is the bold V, or maybe it is an arrow (at 2.6 from I-CPT)?

In general here to me it looks like you fly the path but you can not descend past 2500 until you are at NIBUM after the proc turn. Then once you start down you can't descend below 1560 until YAPCU, then after THAT you can go down to the lofty perch of 1360, but if you are at 1360 at 1.1 nm from I-CPT and still can't see the runway you must go missed. This is in a cessna 182 so a category A aircraft.

Not quite sure what the "C"circling means, or why it is different from the S-15 approach.

Is that close? Feel free to educate me please, and please don't be afraid to use dummy language lol. Thanks for any help!

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: LOC/DME Approach plate tutorial needed.

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Let me try;
This is not very usual approach plate. First that strikes me is T and A NA in the pilot briefing information

T - means airport has published take off minimums or departure procedures
A NA - alternate minimums are not authorized due to unmonitored facility or absence of weather reporting service
(this is why, you have two sets of minimums at the bottom of the plate one for the local altimeter, if available and one for Worth Meacham Intl.)

The bold X is a final approach fix of (FAF) - this is the point where you must be established for the approach prior reaching it. If you are not at the correct altitude in this example 2500 ft or not on the right track - here 153, you must abort and start over.

The bold V is visual descent point or (VDP), where one can decent visually if possible from that point or minimum descent altitude (MDA).

Circling approaches always have higher minimums than any other approach because the pilot must maintain visual contact with the runway throughout the entire maneuver.
More about circling approaches you can find here.

Hope this was helpful. :wink:

Disclaimer: I am not a real world pilot, aviation is my hobby...

--
Vladi
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Pretty good!
In general here to me it looks like you fly the path but you can not descend past 2500 until you are at NIBUM after the proc turn.
Correct
Then once you start down you can't descend below 1560 until YAPCU,
Close but not quite, see that asterisk next to 1560? There is a note of to the left that says to use 1660 if using the Fort Worth minimums. This is very common.
then after THAT you can go down to the lofty perch of 1360, but if you are at 1360 at 1.1 nm from I-CPT and still can't see the runway you must go missed. This is in a cessna 182 so a category A aircraft.
Also close, it would be 1440 feet of using Fort Worth minimums. In the sim world, this will never happen, but IRL, it isn't uncommon at smaller airports.

As LZ-WIZ notes the minimums are different if circling to land You need to use the minimums appropriate to your intentions. On RNAV approaches you can have many types of minimums such as LPV, LP, LNAV/VNAV, LNAV

Not quite sure what the "C"circling means, or why it is different from the S-15 approach.[/quote]

The C note along with the alternate minimums note is covered in a separate part of the TPP (A NA) means that this airport may not be used as an alternate for flight planning purposes. If it just said A, then it means that you need to look at the airport alternate minimums at the beginning of the TPP..

Here is an example of alternate minimums for an airport: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12bFBaa ... p=drivesdk

Under normal circumstances an airport may be filled as an alternate on an IFR flight plan if the weather 1 how before and after the ETA (at the alternate) would be 800'-2 with non precision approaches or 600-2 with precision approaches.

The alternate minimums at the beginning of the TPP set the specific requirements for legally filling the airport as an alternate. None of that information appears on the approach plate.

Also under part 91, there is no need to go missed if the required visibility is not met before reaching the FAF

Lastly Cat depends on the speed you are flying the approach. You can either Cat A or B in a 182. All you have to do is fly faster than 90 KIAS to be Cat B.

Don't forget the visibility requirement. 1 mile for CATs A and B on this approach for all minimums. You will need to go missed if you lack that visibility before descending to land from the MDA.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Oracle427 wrote:Lastly Cat depends on the speed you are flying the approach. You can either Cat A or B in a 182. All you have to do is fly faster than 90 KIAS to be Cat B.
My understanding is that the aircraft belongs only to one category, defined by its threshold speed at maximum landing weight, not by the speed pilot chooses to fly at. There, however, is something in place that says if the maneuvering, that is for instance the circling, must be done at higher speed than the upper limit of airplane's category, then the higher category limits as applicable must be used for the circling.

ICAO and FAA are slightly different in these.

There is something about this in articles this and this on SKYbrary.

-Esa

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Yes that is true as far as the aircraft category is concerned for certifications. From a practical perspective of flying the approach, one must use the category minimums that apply to the airspeed being flown.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”