My Mustang tip of the day Dudley Henriques

Find or share aviation knowledge
new reply
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

My Mustang tip of the day Dudley Henriques

Post by DHenriques_ »

In the real P51, there is a supercharger surge when you are in a constant METO power climb causing a fast increase in MP when the altitude sensor throws you into high blower at the shift point which in the 1650-7 engine we modeled in the A2A Mustang like the real Mustang should make the shift at somewhere between 15 and 16K.
To avoid that sudden surge, do what many operators of the 51 do in this situation.
ANTICIPATE the changeover shift point by watching the altimeter as you climb. Passing 15K come back on the MP, take the blower out of AUTO and into HIGH BLOWER, then bring the MP back up to METO again. No problem on the down shift coming back down from altitude, just remember to bring the blower back into AUTO passing 15K on the way down.

Dudley Henriques

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Re: My Mustang tip of the day Dudley Henriques

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Good tip DHenriquesA2A,
I usually end up running the supercharger manually as I climb. Many times it will not shift even at 18K so as soon as I start to loose MP I manually switch it to High and let it stay until I get around 20K then switch it back to Auto so I don't need to remember as I descend.

I will just plan on 15K from now on. 8)

Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

WB_FlashOver wrote:Many times it will not shift even at 18K
I'd suspect it is a sensor working on absolute pressure. The switchover would be at around FL150...FL160, and with high atmospheric pressures, it would occur only later in climb. :) Could certainly be other reasons as well for its behavior!

-Esa

stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Please correct me if i'm wrong but I think it also react to manifold pressure obtained vs the one set with the throttle... since keeping an higher airspeed with the carb on RAM AIR seems to retard the switch on high blower.. mine seems to switch when unable to maintain set manifold pressure - 6 inHg.. Ex: When manifold pressure drop to around 40-41 inHg when set on 46-2700...

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”