Tutorial Videos

Find or share aviation knowledge
Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Re: Tutorial Videos

Post by Great Ozzie »

I wanted to say thanks for the comments, guys, as they are sincerely appreciated.

Thank you!
Bruce Hamilton wrote:I'm just not convinced that teaching a new pilot to do stall landings is correct, Dudley.
Keep in mind too, Bruce... it takes a number of hours to get all this "stuff" you are trying to do squared away... sometimes *many* hours. Like Dudley and Oracle mentioned with respect to "primacy", you want to teach good technique from the beginning, but it surely does not mean that is what will happen. One would need angel DNA to put it all together from the start. And you don't want to hear your instructor start sounding like Yoda when they say, "you must unlearn, what you have learned...".
Dooga wrote:P.S.: There is an entirely different can of worms with the 172 trying to land 'properly' when she's fully loaded, especially with ppl on the back seats: pulling her into the stall on flare might result in a tailstrike. So in that case you want to carry a bit more speed...
Keep in mind, the POH numbers are for a fully loaded airplane. The only time carrying extra airspeed is generally warranted with something like our C172, is when dealing with gusty wind conditions.

It's not the weight / "pulling into a stall" that will get you with the flare wrt a tailstrike... it's over-rotating / over zealousness with the elevator (and I have seen this in a C152). This is why it is important to recognize a good landing attitude... not too nose low (and possible wheelbarrow) or too nose high (and possible tail-strike).

Airspeed control is the most important factor in achieving landing precision.

At anytime, if you happen to be carrying extra airspeed in the flare, the airplane will float; that is, it will glide from over your aim point, past the intended touchdown point, until that excess airspeed dissipates. (On Landings, Part II - FAA P-8740-49)
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

smokeyupahead
Staff Sergeant

Post by smokeyupahead »

Any landings faster than a full stall is too fast. Read that on pilotfriend.com.

David
Cheers,
David DD

chewit
Airman First Class

Post by chewit »

Thanks Please do some follw ons

Oliver Branaschky
Senior Airman

Post by Oliver Branaschky »

Hi all,

posted this in the C182 section, and someone recommended posting here, too. Maybe worth a look for those who occasionally have trouble starting the engine.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yVMskFQZsw[/youtube]

Viele Grüße/Best regards
Oliver

Oliver Branaschky

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Great vid Oliver :D

Mawingo28
Airman

Post by Mawingo28 »

Having been a passenger in many RW Cessnas, I'd say most high-time pilots aim at a stall-warning signal just before their main wheels touch down. I've never heard the stall warning in any other type of GA aircraft just before touchdown, and I think that relates to the type of aircraft. Cessnas will 'balloon' in a particular way (given the high-wing configuration), that is very low to the ground, which surprises most observers - but to the pilot this means that he's at the bottom of the flight envelope with the main gear very close to the ground. All the C182/C206/C207 aircraft I've been in have been flown to within inches of the ground, followed by a good flare ending in the startling beep! Following that was a very gentle, almost imperceptible rumble of the main wheels on the ground.

jedasa
Airman Basic

Post by jedasa »

Hello,
I just came across this section: Flight Academy - Tutorial Videos...

But, where are the videos? I read all of the posts, but I cannot find any links to the videos??

Thanks!

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Hi jedasa,

As far as short training vids I was planning to do - due to what I will term generally as "unforeseen circumstances," regretfully, I never produced any more videos.

My apologies to Scott and the forum members here at A2A.

-Rob
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

jedasa
Airman Basic

Post by jedasa »

Hello Rob,

Thanks for replying. Actually, I was also wondering about the first video that everyone was commenting on - I didn't see that or a link anywhere in any of the posts? Thanks.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Just edited first post for you since it sounds like you could not see the embedded video.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

jedasa
Airman Basic

Post by jedasa »

Thanks Lewis!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

No worries, its a great video Rob made

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

Bruce Hamilton wrote:Nice tutorial, but I'm not sure I agree with the hard flare into a stall...
while I know this maybe an old thread. I kind of have to agree with the OP of the tutorial. when I have come into strips like this in my virtual flying career I have pucker marks in my seat cause I come in to fast. while I am not a real pilot I think this is a good trick to do in virtual flying. :D

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

2 great tutorials about the S-tec auto pilot and starting a Cessna. now time to go try them on the virtual specimens :lol:

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

A video of fool proof landings in the AT6 with a crosswind would definetly be appreciated.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”