Tutorial Videos

Find or share aviation knowledge
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Tutorial Videos

Post by DHenriques_ »

bobsk8 wrote:A video of fool proof landings in the AT6 with a crosswind would definetly be appreciated.
LOL !!!! Of all the aircraft I've instructed in, the T6 would be the last one I'd pick in an effort to justify the term "fool proof landings".

In any airplane one can define a technique or techniques that should or should not be used when dealing with landings but there is no single technique that will work correctly every time.

With this being said, in the 6 there is nothing unique about landing it really. It's just that it's heavy, has a short gear spread, and as such requires pilots landing it to be quick, smooth, and head's up.
I will say this about the 6. Practically all the landing accidents that have occurred in this aircraft were caused by two factors; one being allowing the nose to wander more than a few degrees off the center line before correction and two, not carrying correct aileron for wind during the roll out.
Control these two factors and you can fly the T6.
Dudley Henriques

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

I will have to brush up on the manuals again. but how much cross wind can the 6 handle??

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

cessna lover wrote:I will have to brush up on the manuals again. but how much cross wind can the 6 handle??
There are two "limits" when it comes down to crosswind, a limit that the aircraft can handle and a limit that the pilot can handle.
In civilian GA type airplanes we have a "demonstrated crosswind component" factor that is established during certification. Notice here that there is no mention at all of a "pilot limit" . It's also notable that a demonstrated crosswind limit is simply what the name implies, it's a "limit" that when it comes down to handling a crosswind, is a velocity the manufacturer "demonstrated" for the aircraft and stuck in the POH. It literally means nothing as on any given day pilot 1 could handle a crosswind at or below the published limit and pilot 2 would roll the airplane up in a ball on the side of the runway.

The military approaches the subject of crosswind in the right way. They don't for the most part publish any "limit" for cross wind.
It's up to each pilot to determine on approach whether they can or can't handle the wind. Personally I have been teaching pilots to handle crosswind in this manner all my life and to ignore the "demonstrated crosswind component" when they fly.

So to answer your question directly as pertains to the T6; if you feel you can handle the wind, go for it. If not, go around or pick another runway. Your choice !
Dudley Henriques

William Hughes
Senior Airman

Post by William Hughes »

Also, while established on final, if you can't hold a straight track down the centerline using the various techniques, it is time to re-evaluate. In an extreme case you might be using full control deflections and you are still drifting off the centerline - it is long past time to go around.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

As a minor side note, the maximum demonstrated crosswind is not a limitation, but can be 'legally' exceeded. It is basically only what has been, well, demonstrated during certification testing without requiring something in lines of "exceptional piloting skill". In that sense, it has no strict physical meaning on it. It is just a number that has been verified during certification process. Whether exceeding it would be a sensible thing to do is another thing, of course.

-Esa

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

:) thanks guys. I will have to try some cross winds some time in the A2A's and see how different planes handle it?

cessna lover

Post by cessna lover »

one thing I have found hen trying to land this plane is keep the tail up as long as possible. then that way when her tail does come down you still have control of her. when I first started flying it I had a lot of ground loops and runway excursions till I found this trick. which I'm sure a lot of guys and gals here have already found 8)

new reply

Return to “Flight Academy”