clarification: engine hand start

Born to fly
new reply
Zacke
Staff Sergeant

clarification: engine hand start

Post by Zacke »

Hey guys,

after intense flying all (!) the wonderfull more or less complex A2A birds for more than a decade I'm coming back to the Piper Cub. Maybe it's a matter of maturity to remember the stick and rudder things and the elementariness of that real gem. And maybe it's a kind of relief in a sometimes complex and overhelming simming world. :wink:

Although quite simple I wanted to ask about the correct way to hand start the engine:
- mags off, fuel on, priming
- hand turning the prop two blades for pumping fuel in the cylinders? (did I get that right?)
- mags on
- cranking the prop for start from the 2 to 3 o'clock position

Maybe someone could explain that cylinder-compression-position-thing in detail. Seen from the cockpit: With a blade in the 10 o'clock position two of the cylinders are in the position with highest compression and the mags are about to fire? The other two cylinders are in the "exhaust gas pushing out of th cylinder" cycle? With the next blade in 10 o'clock position it's vice versa?
It's quite clear to me how a combustion engine works. But I want to understand in detail how that's functioning in the Cub.

Edit: Just found that video where the author talks about manual priming the carburator by rocking the prop forward and backward. Is that really simulated? See here (5:40): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAhnJkCqM3w

Thanks in advance,
Zacke

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”