Where are you taking your Cub

Born to fly
Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Re: Where are you taking your Cub

Post by Mickel »

Bouncing my way north from Sutton's, with a detour to Cle Elum/De Vere. Loads of short hops - the last flight had six landings in less than 2 hours. Currently parked in Darrington. Tomorrow I might muddle through to Friday Harbor, then throw some floats on it and head north into the Strait of Georgia. The J-3 now has more hours in the logbook than everything except the B744 and B77W. Still not touch anything else since the 4th of Jan (but it is getting increasingly tempting after almost 90 hours...).
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Well done on the 90hrs Mickel, sounds like you might have a slight addiction though hehe 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Lewis: We're not addicted! We can quit any time. I've quit hundreds of time myself! :D :D

Mickel: The Cub must be quite a change from the big airliners. The Cub is easy to love. And your screen shots show some absolutely fantastic scenery.

Hook

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Lubbock to Gainsville to Bonham.

KLBB KGLE F00

I took off from Lubbock into absolutely clear skies. When I saw the Active Sky weather I had to go outside and look around, and yes it was severe clear and the sky color is even accurate in the sim.

We had company halfway through the flight to Bonham and I had to land in Gainsville to deal with Real Life for a while. The airport in sim shows a couple of odd water towers that I can't find on Google Earth but it's something interesting to look at.

I didn't fly for the rest of the day or the next, but took off the following day near noon. In sim I had a few very high clouds off to the south, out my front door I had some scattered high clouds to my east which weren't depicted by Active Sky.

I gave up following highway 82 at Sherman and steered by the lake north of Savoy about halfway to Bonham. After I passed that I steered by Lake Bonham north of the town and airport. There was lots of crosswind from the south but it wasn't like I was trying to follow an exact course by that time.

It was an uneventful landing at my home airport with lots of familiar landmarks. Some crosswind component so I had to slip in and land on one wheel but it was a good landing.

Currently 257.7 hours on the Cub, 132.8 on the airframe and 113.8 on the engine, Fair condition.

Landing at home is a milestone and I'll probably park the Cub until I can get either the necessary settings to get interior model reflections right or a new interior model file with different materials. Exterior reflections are good. If anyone has the interior of the Cub reflected in the bezel around the primer knob please let me know how you got it. I've seen this in one of Nick's screen shots. Mine just reflects a bit of the interior light and the sun when it's in the right spot, otherwise a matte finish.

I'm considering taking the Cherokee up to Mena Arkansas and back. The valley just north of the PGO VOR is quite scenic, especially with the right atmospheric conditions, and it dumps out just north of the airport. I used to do a lot of ridge soaring there in FSX with CumulusX. I haven't flown the Cherokee extensively since February of last year, but did one flight in September. I'd love to do that flight in real life.

Hook

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

This is what I'm talking about with the reflections:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=69526&p=528929#p528929

Hook

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Trust us, if we could we would add but P3D in its current state doesn't allow for correct internal dynamic reflections. When added, all it reflects in real time is the yellow of the cockpit, the result in P3D is that your gauges turn and stay yellow. :?

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Thanks Lewis! Looks like everything is good on my end then. Nick gave me some settings to try.

I flew the Cherokee as far as Paris (TX!) and the log didn't get corrupted. I'm not sure what happened earlier.

Hook

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Hook wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 08:04 Lewis: We're not addicted! We can quit any time. I've quit hundreds of time myself! :D :D

Mickel: The Cub must be quite a change from the big airliners. The Cub is easy to love. And your screen shots show some absolutely fantastic scenery.

Hook
Mine isn't addiction. It's shear bloody mindedness now. I'm never likely to be in a position to log 100 hours on the trot on one aircraft again - especially a light aircraft. So I'm taking it while it's here. But the last 11 hours is going to feel like an age.

I bought the Cub in 2009. I bought the 747 in 2017. It took me a while to graduate up in size, and I have plenty in between. :-) They are completely different ways of 'flying', and I enjoy them for different reasons. I wouldn't be able to switch seamlessly straight back to the 747 (or any jet for that matter). I have a Cathay B748F in Portland waiting to go to Anchorage - that'll probably be the next time I fly it. It has an in built checklist, so I shouldn't forget anything.

Anyway... my sim has just loaded up again, so back to it...
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Mickel wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 03:47Mine isn't addiction. It's shear bloody mindedness now. I'm never likely to be in a position to log 100 hours on the trot on one aircraft again - especially a light aircraft. So I'm taking it while it's here. But the last 11 hours is going to feel like an age.
Having a goal in mind helps. My first Cub goal was to fly California to New Jersey. Then it became fly the length of the Caribbean. Then it was fly back to the starting point. I couldn't finish with the Cub until I'd completed my goals. The Alaska flights were just something I liked to do in the Cub (Merrill Pass and Dutch Harbor) and a mini-goal was to get back to Sparrevohn. The most recent goal was getting the Cub back to my home airport.
I bought the Cub in 2009. I bought the 747 in 2017. It took me a while to graduate up in size, and I have plenty in between. :-) They are completely different ways of 'flying', and I enjoy them for different reasons. I wouldn't be able to switch seamlessly straight back to the 747 (or any jet for that matter). I have a Cathay B748F in Portland waiting to go to Anchorage - that'll probably be the next time I fly it. It has an in built checklist, so I shouldn't forget anything.

Anyway... my sim has just loaded up again, so back to it...
I got the Cub early December 2012 and the Stratocruiser late December, shortly after I first discovered them. I didn't get the 172 until September 2013

I make custom checklists for all my aircraft. I use them as documentation every time I switch back to one after not flying it for a while. Even the Connie has a complete "pilot's checklist". If it weren't for these it would take me a long time to change aircraft. Hm, actually, the Cub is the only one without a checklist. :D

I'm going to predict that when you go back to the Big Iron you'll miss the Cub and will be flying it again, at least occasionally.

Hook

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

Still plugging on...

Bruce66
Staff Sergeant

Post by Bruce66 »

I am a little further North but we are flying in the same sea! :D

Love those screen shots!

I have no screenies but there is this: https://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vi ... 62&t=69833
Gaming Computer

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU
Gigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Windforce2 4GB GDDR5
Display: 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

100 hours up. 8 on floats, 92 on wheels.

Canadian float plane docks:

Final into Sekiu on my 100th hour.

Now I need to go fly something else for a bit. But I do remember where I parked it.

Mike

YoYo
Staff Sergeant

Post by YoYo »

New destination - Africa.
ORBX will release very soon (this week maybe) his Landclass for Africa finally.
http://yoyosims.pl/
W10, i9 9900K, RTX 3090, RAM32Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3200MHz, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] HP Reverb v2, VR fly only

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Its out and at a discount right now for the bush flyers, great fun place for the Cub to explore!

cheers,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”