flying at full throttle

Born to fly
new reply
awash2002
A2A ACE

flying at full throttle

Post by awash2002 »

Will I do any kind of damage by running the cub at full throttle all the time or is it designed to be ran that way?

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: flying at full throttle

Post by Piper_EEWL »

You can run with cub at full throttle as long as you don’t exceed the redline rpm of the engine it’ll be fine.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

While the engine isn't like to be damaged, full throttle does not make the Cub go much faster. Even a much larger engine doesn't do much to improve top speed.

Basically, the only thing you're doing flying at full throttle is reducing your range... such as it is. :D

Hook

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

At full throttle it's only turning 2250 and doing 75mph in the cub I don't fly over an hour anyway

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Not sure of the specifics of the cub - Lycoming normally recommends not exceeding 75% Power - in normal cruise...

Regards,
Scott

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I'm doing a test flight and even at full throttle I'm only getting 2233 rpm I'm at 3000 feet

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

So far I've managed one long distance flight in the Cub. Used an external VFR chart to find my way.. Even default FSX scenery is accurate down to the roads, rivers, hills, and towns as depicted on the charts. I was most impressed by seeing charted towers were rendered, and were actually useful in finding my position!
I also never knew the significance of the red paint on the top of the fuel dipstick. That's your low fuel warning. Fancy!

I just looked it up, the A2A manual states 2150 as "best range" cruise RPM. And does indeed mention about 75 MPH IAS using full power in level flight. Manual mentions you can run it at 100% throttle "all day." But like other's said.. not really much point.

I'll admit I never read the manual for this aircraft when I bought it. :oops: I just got in and went. I had heard that "the Piper J3 Cub is the only airplane which takes off, climbs, cruises, descends, and lands at the same airspeed... 60mph." And I just flew it that way.

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I think I'm going to start flying my cub the same way

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

flapman wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 20:49So far I've managed one long distance flight in the Cub. Used an external VFR chart to find my way.. Even default FSX scenery is accurate down to the roads, rivers, hills, and towns as depicted on the charts. I was most impressed by seeing charted towers were rendered, and were actually useful in finding my position!
This is one of the things I like best about the Cub. I know that everyone flying it will be flying this way.

Radio towers are accurate. Factories and "stacks" (depicted as such on charts) are usually accurate, but are sometimes missing. Cooling towers are usually accurate, but Comanche Peak is rendered as a standard power plant. Power lines are accurate. Small bodies of water aren't always depicted. You can navigate all over the United States using real world charts, but outside the US the charts don't always match the scenery perfectly. Usually it doesn't matter.

Hook

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I just flew the Cub pulled it back to 2050 rpm and got 65mph

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Awash,

the Cub is meant to be flown between 2100 and 2200 rpm, climb and cruise, 55 and 75mph, you can even decend at that rpm as you have plenty of speed range left to Vne but of course you'll have to reduce the throttle. You gain nothing by flying full throttle except higher cost and the risk of overspeeding the engine WHICH WILL kill it quite quickly, if the oil film gets interrupted. And you really don't want that, there's not many of those A-65 in stock anymore. And that Tachometer isn't overly accurate anyway. So better keep away from the red marks int the Cub.

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

I'm going to fly it at 2200 from now on

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

That's what I do, give or take. I don't normally look at the tach - more just go by ear and airspeed. Full noise for TO and climbing at 60mph. Pull it back to 75-80mph at a couple of thousand feet. I'll have to watch it again when I reach the southern Rockies, where 2,000' is underground.
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”