Piper Cub primer

Born to fly
new reply
LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Piper Cub primer

Post by LZ-WIL »

I got the Cub this weekend and have been flying it since.

Wonderful little plane, cute as a bug, very different from the 2 Cessnas I have. I have a practice, every time I add a new A2A aircraft to my hangar, I read the manual along with studying the aircraft in the sim. Everything is as described, very naturally and realistically simulated. However I have noticed in the "Primer" section in the Cub manual (not the Cub Accu-Sim manual) it says, to unlock the primer, pull it out and wait a second or two for the primer tube to fill with fuel, then push it back in and lock it.
In the Sim however, (I have FSX Acceleration) you have an option to click it, it unlocks by itself, unfolds and then all by itself pulls in and locks. There is no option to leave it open, as mentioned in the manual.
My question is, is this behaviour of the primer normal, and it is explained more realistically in the manual, or there is a problem in my "TV set"?

Thanks,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Re: Piper Cub primer

Post by gulredrel »

That's normal. With clicking the primer, the sequence of pulling and pushing is initiated.
I htink, the manual describes the real world procedure, but the games limitation prevent the holding option.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

gulredrel wrote:That's normal. With clicking the primer, the sequence of pulling and pushing is initiated.
I htink, the manual describes the real world procedure, but the games limitation prevent the holding option.
Thanks for your reply and clearing that out. I thought so myself, or that it was possible in some earlier update of the Cub and changed later.

P.S. Your signature is a quote from "The Hunt of Red October" - I like that move!

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Yes, the manual describes the real world procedure which isn't simulated by the A2A cub.

You can feel the fuel being drawn into the primer system and it will have a fair amount of resistance when pushing it back in if the bulb is full of fuel vs if you were to full it out and mash it right back it with force. I find that the real primer takes about twice as long to operate, but that would make for a boring sim. :)
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”