cross country cub

Born to fly
new reply
n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

cross country cub

Post by n421nj »

Now that I have my brand new cub I've decided to do something I have always dreamed of - flying across the United States in a Piper Cub - or at least on fsx. I started at Half moon bay in California and plan to fly to my home airport of KCDW. I will be picking up each flight exactly where the last one left off with fuel and oil etc.
Anyone ever attempt this before and if so any tips? Such as crossing the rockies? I'm thinking I'd like to make a pass over las Vegas and then hit the grand canyon before proceeding east again.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: cross country cub

Post by Lewis - A2A »

One of our beta testers flew around the world in the cub, he added a flag to his repaint each time he reached a new country, was quiet the feat and pretty damn awesome.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

If work is quiet tonight I will try and post my projected cross country route for anyone that wants to duplicate it or fly along with me on Boston Virtual ATC multiplayer server.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Here is my projected flight plan starting from Half moon bay in CA and ending at Boston Logan in MA. I figured since im flying on the Boston Virtual ATC server I should end my journey there. 78 flights for a total of 2,892.3 NM and 57Hours 50.8 Min at a cruise of 50 kts.

KHAF KTCY O15 KMPI KMMH KBIH KBTY KINS KLAS 67L KSGU KKNB KGCN KFLG KINW KTYL KSJW KGUP KGNT KABQ 0E0 KLVS KTCC KHRX KAMA KPPA KHHF KGAG KWWR 6K4 KWDG F22 KCUH KOWP KGCM 3O9EOS 2H2 3DW KLBO KAIZ KVIH KUUV KFES KSAR KMVN KOLY KLWV KFRH KSER KIMS K62 KAMT KEOP KUNI KPKB I10 6G5 KHLG G05 KLBE KJST KAOO N68 N94 58N KRDG KABE N05 12N KCDW KHPN KBDR KSNC KWST KUUU KPVD KOWD KBOS
Andrew

All Accusim Aircraft

serolrom
Airman Basic

Post by serolrom »

Wow... Did you use any tool to create this plan? Or have you chosen your legs by hand?
Anyway, looks both challenging and fun.

The good thing about slow planes is that they can take you just about anywhere. I am also doing some tour, but I don´t have a detailed plan, just the general idea. I fly a P-40, I just fly my desired course and can land almost anywhere, even more with a Cub, there´s no runway too short. That´s freedom.

Keep posting your progress!

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

My flight plan is the result of an hour on sky vector. I tried to keep each leg between 20-50 nm for several reasons.
1. My 1 year old son only let's me fly while he is napping which lasts about an hour or so.
2. No autopilot plus accusim and accu feel v2 LSA make flying a challenge and after about an hour I need a break especially when crossing the Rockie mountains.
Andrew

All Accusim Aircraft

serolrom
Airman Basic

Post by serolrom »

Yeah, I know your reasons by heart!
That's exactly why I just get to the air and I land she I feel my time is over :)

Good luck and have fun

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Just a little update on my cross country journey. I've completed 11 flights so far. I'm currently at KKNB Kanab municipal airport just north of the Grand Canyon. So far I've flown 521.9 NM and 9:03HRs. Mountain flying in the cub with accusim and accufeel is no picnic but the challenge is what makes it fun.
Andrew

All Accusim Aircraft

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”