Possible to modify range of Cub altimeter?

Born to fly
new reply
Gonsy
Airman Basic

Possible to modify range of Cub altimeter?

Post by Gonsy »

Hi. First i have to say its a great experience flying A2A Super Cub. Not that i have any real flight experience, but it just feels right. Its my first aircraft addon to fsx after flying regular cub and 172sp for a while. Actually got myself to buy fsx after i was hooked on ms flight. Together with A2A cub i bought Scilly Islands, Alderney and Guernsey vfr scenery from Earth simulations. A combination with lots of fun! I prefer flying bellow 1500 feet to enjoy the scenery and explore for off airport landing places.

So to the point. I`ve become accustomed with adjusting my descend with the VSI and altimeter. Love the simplicity of the cub and I don't care for the loss of VSI so much. But I find it difficult using the altimeter in A2A cub as it has so long range of height. Is it possible to modify the 3d altimeter range to say 12000 feet or less? I have already got the hang of making skins for A2A cub and localized the altimeter scale texture. I assume I also have to modify the movement and range of the needle. Is it possible to `reach` this coding and edit it with notepad? If so is it okay (for A2A) to modify these files for own use?

- Daniel

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Possible to modify range of Cub altimeter?

Post by Scott - A2A »

The gauges are in the 3d model, so there is no text file to edit.

But as for the altimeter, this coarse altimeter is part of the J3 experience. You really have to "use the force" to know how fast you are descending. The more you fly it, you will gain this sensitivity. For the most part, on approach, its all about RPM and speed, and less about the VSI. Subconsciously you also note the aircraft's attitude (nose on the horizon). If you shoot a bunch of touch and go's at your favorite airport, you will master this and not even miss the VSI.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

shortspecialbus
Staff Sergeant

Post by shortspecialbus »

Scott - A2A wrote:The gauges are in the 3d model, so there is no text file to edit.

But as for the altimeter, this coarse altimeter is part of the J3 experience. You really have to "use the force" to know how fast you are descending. The more you fly it, you will gain this sensitivity. For the most part, on approach, its all about RPM and speed, and less about the VSI. Subconsciously you also note the aircraft's attitude (nose on the horizon). If you shoot a bunch of touch and go's at your favorite airport, you will master this and not even miss the VSI.

Scott.
While I agree and enjoy the "J3 Experience," the lack of tactile forces in either your body/seat or the yoke/stick to help you realize if you're changing altitude due to turbulence or whatever other reason do make it a bit difficult to maintain an altitude within 100 feet as assigned by ATC when transitioning airspace. I can cheat with Ctrl-Z but I wouldn't mind if I had an option for a slightly more reasonable altimeter.

-stefan

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Daniel and Stefan,

one tipp: purchase accufeel =) it improves your "feel" of FSX extremely.

on a motorized plane it's always a little tricky with the engine, but the Cub actually has only the RPM... use it ot hear the engine ^^

What I want to say: When I was getting my glider lisence a couple of years ago, my instructor used to cover my instruments with a sheet of paper... first I noticed it as a "?()^ of paper", but every flight I did it took me closer to "the real thing". It was an ASK13, old, wood and steel construction, loud and honest. he covered the speed indicator and I had to hear the speed. then he covered the altimeter and I had to watch the ground. And so on... Finally I did a complete flight from takeoff to landing without ANY instruments.
And that's exactly how I fly the Piper Cub today in real and in the Sim. The instruments are a feedback of your feeling, you're sitting in a light plane with little engine power, not in a Jumbo ^^

Daniel, as you are new to flight simming (and made this horrible "MS Flight"-experience, which is a game, not a sim) take your time and learn to hear the Cub ^^ It's absolutely honest and worth to fly.

Greets,
Marc

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”