J3 Cub - Handheld GPS

Born to fly
new reply
325eye
Airman Basic

J3 Cub - Handheld GPS

Post by 325eye »

Hi,

Firstly nice job with the J3. The only downside is it's so good I'm concerned with whether I'll be able to find future payware aircraft that won't seem a let down in comparison.

My question is -

Is it possible to open the standard FSX handheld GPS while flying the cub?

I've not been able to find a way to do this?

I don't particularly like the onboard map option. While point to point navigation may be easier with a GPS the active map given it more or less tells you your position and direction doesn't seem realistic to me. Sometimes I'm up for some dead reckoning with a static map other times I prefer to use a GPS so I can concerntrate more on other aspects of the flight.

I don't think this is unrealistic, many cub owners have installed portable GPS devices in their J3's.

Thanks

Flyboy_Pete
Airman

Re: J3 Cub - Handheld GPS

Post by Flyboy_Pete »

Hi there, have a look at this site to see how to do it as a similar question was asked there ...
>> http://nzff.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=7995 <<

Bochumer
Airman First Class

Post by Bochumer »

This works, but it looks more like an onboard-gps. Not quite realistic in a battery lacking plane.

I used google but I still cannot find something like a mod that makes the gps appear as a classic handheld. A device you could use out of your jacket while flying the cub. Is there something like this available?
"What a pity, in a way, that an aeroplane that can impart such a glorious feeling of sheer joy and beauty has got to be used to fight somebody", Geoffrey Wellum in "First Light"

Intel I7-2600K OC @ 4,5 Ghz; 8 Gb RAM; nVidia570

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I used google but I still cannot find something like a mod that makes the gps appear as a classic handheld. A device you could use out of your jacket while flying the cub. Is there something like this available?
Use the instructions in that link, but instead of gps_500, use gps_295. This is the classic handheld GPS.

Hook

Bochumer
Airman First Class

Post by Bochumer »

That`s it. Thank you very much!!
"What a pity, in a way, that an aeroplane that can impart such a glorious feeling of sheer joy and beauty has got to be used to fight somebody", Geoffrey Wellum in "First Light"

Intel I7-2600K OC @ 4,5 Ghz; 8 Gb RAM; nVidia570

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”