Cub & Floats

Born to fly
new reply
Sizel
Airman First Class

Cub & Floats

Post by Sizel »

Hi All
Between P-51 runs and complexities of a B377 i'm taking my recently acquired Cub out for some flights.

Last night i did a run on the floats with a bloated Heidi at 59kilos and a full tank of fuel. But was it hard to get any lift! Am i experiencing accu-sim here for realism as i could only get a few feet of the water then stalled and hit the water again. Is it possible to take off under these loads?
In the end Heidi had to crash diet and get down to 45kilo and i dropped fuel down to 1/3, then i managed to get airborne.

I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks.
Kind Regards
Simon

P-51 Mustang + ACCU-SIM - Spitfire MK1&MK2 + ACCU-SIM - P-40 Tomahawk + ACCU-SIM - Piper J3 CUB + ACCU-SIM - B377 Stratocruiser + COTS - C172 Trainer - ACCU-FEEL V2

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Cub & Floats

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Do you have the update; http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 62&t=19734

Water takeoffs do take a little longer to get up so make sure you are established 'on the step' and have a good speed before gently lifting off.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Sizel
Airman First Class

Post by Sizel »

Hi Lewis

Yep, all updates applied.
As you say longer take off speeds required & getting the right balance is what I'm aiming for.
I have little experience with floats so I probably need to improve my technique here.
As long as it's working as it should that was my concern. Everything seems ok otherwise.

Thanks for the reply
Kind Regards
Simon

P-51 Mustang + ACCU-SIM - Spitfire MK1&MK2 + ACCU-SIM - P-40 Tomahawk + ACCU-SIM - Piper J3 CUB + ACCU-SIM - B377 Stratocruiser + COTS - C172 Trainer - ACCU-FEEL V2

Spittyobsessed
Airman

Post by Spittyobsessed »

The right technique is very good explained in the manual. Basically you pull on the stick until
you have an airspeed of about 15 to 20 Mph to avoid the floattips digging into the water. Then you push the stick a bit forward to get on the step. When you are on the step only the front part of the float is "surfing" on the water and you will accelerate quickly up to 40 Mph. at this point you can pull up gently and you´re airborne.
Regards
Benjamin

asolyom
Airman First Class

Post by asolyom »

I have an other issue regarding Cub on floats. The manual says that the plane should be untied from the dock after engine start. However it looks to me when you open the door and pilot enters the cockpit tie down is "deactivated". How is it expected to keep the plane tied down until engine starting?
We have clearance, Clarence.
Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”