Dear A2A Team

Born to fly
HercFan
Airman First Class

Dear A2A Team

Post by HercFan »

Dear A2A Team,

Disclaimer: English is not my first language, so sorry for the typos.

I wanted to have at least 20 hours in the Cub before posting this, but I simply could not resist after 12 hours.

It is quite difficult for this 20+ years flight simmer to explain exactly what is about the Cub (and Accu-Sim) that has changed the way I now (and forever will) look at flight simulation.

All through those years (and the evolution of MSFS) I have always wondered “what if”. Every payware purchase brought a few hours of flying until my “requirements” would come in and I would be disappointed again. I was always forced to “pretend” to do proper engine management and procedures, simply because no one ever cared to go the extra step (or just do a little bit).

There were of course a few memorable breakthroughs in the past, but always that “something” missing.

And so I went a good 3 years without flight simming. Last summer, after a new PC upgrade (for non-simming reasons) I got the bug again and started getting back “in the game”. I stumbled upon some new names (and saw some old ones to) and then I started reading and researching about A2A. Although the B377 is not my “cup of tea”, I came close to pulling the trigger on the P47 but decided to wait it out for the Cub.

And it finally happened.

I can’t even start to describe how amazing and special this product is. I was flying in FTX land yesterday, just enjoying the experience and trying quite hard to nail down precisely what makes Accu-Sim so special. And I can’t honestly find it. It’s the entire experience that is different. There is something about how the Cub behaves in relation to the environment and the scenery below (and I am not even talking about the amazing flight dynamics) that makes it special.

A quick example? Since I try to replicate real life, I always set the pilot weight to my current weight and also add 20 lbs of luggage in the tail (as many in real life it appears). Last night, I had tremendous difficulties landing my beloved “Rose”. I could not nail down why. I was doing everything exactly the same but was actually making disastrous landings. Then I remembered! I had the default pilot weight and no extra weight in the back! The entire dynamics were changed. Amazing.

The Accu-Sim difference is so good that a few minutes spend in “another” aircraft later on (for some beta testing purposes) seemed so… dull! I guess I am now an Accu-Sim addict and not looking back (at least it will keep my virtual hangar lean and mean). So I guess if I do want to feel something different (and a bit faster) I will need to get behind the stick of the P47 (or wait for the next title).

This was a bit long for a simple “great work” post, but I needed to get it out!

PS: been enjoying a lot the FS Break podcast. Listening to it during my daily commute. Actually, it explains EXACTLY why I appreciate this product so much. It’s what I was dreaming of from a developer.

HercFan
Gatineau, Qc, Canada

snave
Staff Sergeant

Re: Dear A2A Team

Post by snave »

Poor English Hercfan..?

You nailed it man! Better than any review :lol:

`Accusim Anonymous` next stop:
"Hi everyone, my names Simon, and I'm an addict..." :wink:

...in fact, I just gotta go and find the keys to the P-47. Just the one circuit you understand. I can stop anytime I want... well, while I'm here, just a quick spin in the Cub too :P
Simon Evans

HercFan
Airman First Class

Post by HercFan »

Well thanks Simon, glad to see I am "understandable".

I am planning a nice little project with my Cub that should keep me busy for awhile. More later.

And of course, I am reading all the manuals and reading up on the P47...or maybe will wait for the Mustang.

Cheers!

HercFan
Gatineau, Qc, Canada

alehead
Staff Sergeant

Post by alehead »

HercFan,

I think you just summarised how so many of us feel, thanks, there is absolutely nothing I could add... the experience as a whole has reached a new level. It is a joy to fly in FTX land, and will most likely be the same in PNW, once I work out the sweet spot, or upgrade my system...

Andrew
Andrew
i9 9900K @ 4.8GHz (Der8auer delidded) on air (NH-D15), Gigabyte Aorus Master with 32 Gb RAM
Aorus Master RTX3090, Win10Pro / MSFS

HercFan
Airman First Class

Post by HercFan »

Just feel like keeping this thread alive. Darn I love my Cub...

HercFan
Gatineau, Qc, Canada

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

I enjoy flying the Cub with UTX/GEX USA-CAN. I flew it from Florida to New York and back (was a loooonnngggg flight lol). I had a lot of fun though flying low and slow checking things out I haven't seen before. That is some beautiful scenery though. Gotta love the mountains.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

shadox
Airman

Post by shadox »

Roadburner426 wrote:I enjoy flying the Cub with UTX/GEX USA-CAN. I flew it from Florida to New York and back (was a loooonnngggg flight lol). I had a lot of fun though flying low and slow checking things out I haven't seen before. That is some beautiful scenery though. Gotta love the mountains.
you flew from flordia to new york and back in a cub! :shock: dang lots of coffee i bet

Markoz
Senior Airman

Post by Markoz »

shadox wrote:you flew from flordia to new york and back in a cub! :shock: dang lots of coffee i bet
Hi Shadox.

If you want to read up on a long A2A Piper Cub flight, check out this topic HERE by FAC257, that was started not that long after the Cub was released. It was a long, but very interesting flight. It had me checking in here every day to see how far he had traveled over the last 24 hours.

I'm not taking anything away from Roadburner426. His was a long flight too. FAC257 just did a "slightly" longer one. :wink:

I can't talk much when it comes to long flights in the Cub. My longest is about 190nm. After that I switched over to a faster plane to fly around in. :oops:

@HercFan. I could not have worded my enjoyment of the A2A Piper J3 Cub + Accu-Sim any where near as well as you did. Thanks for that.

Mark
Intel Core i7 3770K | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Nvidia GTX470 | 24" LCD Monitor | 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 2TB HDD | Windows 7 Profession 64 bit & Window 8 64 bit

ImageImageImage

Burning_Daylight
Airman

Post by Burning_Daylight »

I'm currently flying from the Pacific Northwest to New York in my Cub. It's actually something I always wanted to do (and something I still aim to do.) I can only fly a few hours a night, though, so it's going to take awhile.

I started at my home field (Olympia, Washington), followed I-5 down to the Columbia River, then followed the River and I-84. Last night I stayed over at Pendleton (which is where R.P. McMurphy's work farm was if there are any Ken Kesey fans here) and this evening I set her down in Baker City, Oregon. I'm hoping to at least make Boise tomorrow, but I'd prefer Mountain Home. I'll have to see.

I've got some interesting and fun challenges ahead. The first is deciding whether or not to follow 84 down to Salt Lake City, and cutting east on I-70. That's the route I took last summer, driving home from Tennessee. But it leaves a lot of sparsely populated desert country--not a lot of options when it comes to finding fuel. The second challenge is to figure out a way to get over those Rockies. It'll be pushing the little Cub to the very edges of it's service ceiling.

You wouldn't think you could have so much fun with such a simple plane, especially when flight-simming, when you have so many complex aircraft at your disposal.

BD

shadox
Airman

Post by shadox »

The second challenge is to figure out a way to get over those Rockies. It'll be pushing the little Cub to the very edges of it's service ceiling.
i find it easiest to find a valley that goes for a good distance on your map and stick to it (i find it more fun that way as well)

Chad Graves
Senior Airman
Location: About a mile from KUDD. With the All American Canal to my back.

Post by Chad Graves »

Burning_Daylight wrote:The second challenge is to figure out a way to get over those Rockies. It'll be pushing the little Cub to the very edges of it's service ceiling.
Theres a good path down toward the southern end around the Salton Sea. But your already at the shorter end so you should find something closer. Have you read the book "Flight Of Passage"? If not you should.

Burning_Daylight
Airman

Post by Burning_Daylight »

Well, after pouring over Google Earth for a few hours (I wish Google earth had a simple topographic overlay--the only Sectionals I have are Seattle, St. Louis, and Memphis) I realized it's probably not a good idea to cut across the Rockies on I-70. Vail Pass sits at around 10,000 feet, which doesn't give me much maneuvering room, especially on a warm day. I've decided to cut over on I-80, just south of Ogden, Utah, into Wyoming. I ought to hit that this evening.

I have read "Flight of Passage", and curious that you should mention it, in light of my trip, I had just pulled it off my bookshelf to read again.

BD

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

Here try this site
http://www.runwayfinder.com/
It has VFR charts for all of the US. And it's layed out in one very large map. Should help you pick your way threw the Rockies

VulcanB2
Master Sergeant

Post by VulcanB2 »

You want USA sectionals, you got 'em!!!

A great site!!! Covers the ENTIRE USA! He also keeps them updated, too.

http://skyvector.com/

Best regards,
Robin.
A2A/AccuSim. 'nuff said!

FlyFly157
Airman First Class

Post by FlyFly157 »

Roadburner426 wrote:I enjoy flying the Cub with UTX/GEX USA-CAN. I flew it from Florida to New York and back (was a loooonnngggg flight lol). I had a lot of fun though flying low and slow checking things out I haven't seen before. That is some beautiful scenery though. Gotta love the mountains.
Holy macoral! That's insane! I love my little cub, but I think I would settle for something faster on a flight like that. :mrgreen:
Image Image

Intel Core i7 CPU
920 @ 2.67 GHz
6 GB Memory
Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285.0 3.8MB

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”