Float issue (pilot error prolly)

Born to fly
new reply
Private-Cowboy
Senior Airman

Float issue (pilot error prolly)

Post by Private-Cowboy »

Hi everyone,

I'm flying around in the floater lately (Tongass Cabins) and have some serious problems taking off most of the time. It seems to me that fully loaded (Heidi and a bit of luggage) the Cub banks so badly in the water that takeoff is impossible. Even if I'm fully compensating of I can barely keep the wing out of the water ...

What am I doeing wrong here? Just sitting there in the water the plane is more or lesse level moving with the waves a bit and maybe pushed a bit by the wind. But when you apply power things get strange.

That you won't take off with such a bank is rather obvious. So what can I do? Thanks for the help.

Li'lJugs
Senior Airman

Re: Float issue (pilot error prolly)

Post by Li'lJugs »

I can't think of any reason for that to be happening unless you are trying to takeoff in a crosswind?

GlennC
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by GlennC »

Cowboy,

Are you running FSX SP2 or Acceleration? Do you have your realism settings set as the manual defines? Are you starting from a saved flight? I do sometimes get a little of that, but no where near that serious, on a first take-off but later ones are fine. The trick with the Cub on floats is the have the stick full back until the speed gets up to about 30 MPH, then slowly release the back pressure. Advance the throttle slowly. If a wing drops, of course, opposite stick to correct. I hope that helps. The answers to those questions should help Scott come to a faster answer.

Glenn

BPL
Staff Sergeant

Post by BPL »

Have you checked out this topic: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 62&t=19661? This is probably the problem, not pilot error.

Private-Cowboy
Senior Airman

Post by Private-Cowboy »

That might be the problem indeed. I'l try a reinstall and test that out.

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”