Additional type

Born to fly
new reply
alehead
Staff Sergeant

Additional type

Post by alehead »

I am learning to sim fly all over again with the Cub...

After a couple of years in commercial jets, B737 and MD-11 recently, I have been struggling with the low approach speed and trying to nail the 3 point landings... practice, practice, and more practice...

Looking on airliners.net for a few Cub paintjobs to see what is around, I noticed that quite a few of the J3s are a high visibility variant, with more visibility from the back seat for the most part...

Here is one example:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled ... 1572666/L/

It would be interesting to see, and I for one would be willing to purchase this as a model upgrade if it were to require a complete rework of the current model.

Of course, this is just an idea...

The Accusimmed J3 is a gem and a real reflection of your dedication!

Andrew
Andrew
i9 9900K @ 4.8GHz (Der8auer delidded) on air (NH-D15), Gigabyte Aorus Master with 32 Gb RAM
Aorus Master RTX3090, Win10Pro / MSFS

snb
Airman

Re: Additional type

Post by snb »

Hello!

This is not J-3, this is L-4 "Grasshopper" on your photo. I know only one model of L-4 for FSX - from Flight Replicas. But I'm not happy with them: you can use full power for unlimited time without engine damage and with full throttle and full stick back you will never stall.
Totaly, L-4 from FR is only Visual model, but we can't use it with accu-sim features.

alehead
Staff Sergeant

Post by alehead »

Thanks, I was aware of the L-4, and have always thought of it as being the military version of the J3...

What are the major differences? It would seem that these aircraft here on airliners.net are all Continental 65hp aircraft...

I even found an incident report describing an aircraft G-AXHR as being a J3-65C, although it looks like the L-4...

Would be interested to hear what Scott and the other A2A people might say...

Though, as I opriginally posted, it is/was just an idea. Won't stop me from flying this... :)

Andrew
Andrew
i9 9900K @ 4.8GHz (Der8auer delidded) on air (NH-D15), Gigabyte Aorus Master with 32 Gb RAM
Aorus Master RTX3090, Win10Pro / MSFS

skunker
Senior Airman

Post by skunker »

I don't know all the differences, but the major ones are:

-65hp engine (the military did not use anything greater than 65hp at the time)

-plexiglass "greenhouse" giving the back seater more visibility

-large radio installation for back seat occupant (this allowed the front pilot to solo from the front if no one occupied the back seat)

-dashboard instrument layout was a little different

That's about it!

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”