Glide is still too much, despite new patch! [resolved]

Born to fly
skunker
Senior Airman

Glide is still too much, despite new patch! [resolved]

Post by skunker »

Hey,
I think the glide is still too much on landing approaches. I reduce throttle to idle, pitch up my nose to reduce speed (around 50mph) and the plane still can't sink to what I think are realistic levels. There's a lot of drag on this airplane, so it should sink faster, imho.

Any real Cub drivers here? What do you think?

Disclaimer: I've only played it once with the patch...gonna go for another spin. Will report later.

markwlee
Senior Airman

Re: Glide is still too much, despite new patch!

Post by markwlee »

I agree with you, skunker. The couple of small aircraft I've been in have approached steeply and not held so much speed once level and flaring.
I know they had flaps - but the Cub has its sideslip for approach.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Skunker,

Next week I will be back in front of my test machine, and I will run a side by side test with our in-cockpit video to see exactly how this slows down at landing speeds. I'll report back.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

skunker
Senior Airman

Post by skunker »

Hi Scott,
Thanks and I am still very happy with the patch. It's still the best and most realistic airplane I've ever flown in a flight simulator.

pj_3
Senior Airman

Post by pj_3 »

Yep; can't slow down without slipping Rob, and the wind noise is still very quiet.... Otherwise, it's all I've flown since it came out... It's turned the other aircraft into hangar queens.

Regards,

pj

[email protected] on EK water, ASUS P8P67 B3 DL; EVGA GTX780; 8 gig Corsair Vengeance C8@1600; Win 7-64; TH2G w/3x19" VA926; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80 throttle quadrant; TrackIR5: DX10 only.

BPL
Staff Sergeant

Post by BPL »

I've never flown a real Cub, but the glide seems long to me, too.

Shalomar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shalomar »

Yes, I have environmental at max, voice at max and everything else 50 percent but I can barely distinguish wind noise.

Donald
Virtual Avgas fits my budget...

CBris
Senior Airman

Post by CBris »

I had something similar recently. I say "similar" because it likely isn't the cause of your problems, but the Cub didn't want to slow down for me either.

Then I noticed that in the VC the throttle did not appear to be full back so I checked the windows calibration of the throttle controller. Then I tried another joystick with mounted throttle controller. The same. Then I used a plain stick and my throttle quadrant... the same

Only then did I look at FSUIPC! Instead of having some +16000 calibration units I only had +10000

That also explains why some planes in my stable were underperforming.

It might not answer your problems, but it is worth checking your FSUIPC calibrations, because you might not be throttling back to idle - and if the engine is still powering the prop, then you just ain't going to fall out of the sky.

Another way to check is to try some dead-stick landings. From 2000 feet over your favourite airfield, simply switch everything off and then go for a dead-stick approach and landing.
Chris Brisland, aka 'Dances with paintbrushes', aka EagleSkinner

pj_3
Senior Airman

Post by pj_3 »

A lot of us don't use the purchased version of FSUIPC, but F1 - F1 - F1 - F1 - F1 - F1 takes care of low throttle. The Engine is pretty much windmilling on the approach. It's as if there's insufficient drag.

[email protected] on EK water, ASUS P8P67 B3 DL; EVGA GTX780; 8 gig Corsair Vengeance C8@1600; Win 7-64; TH2G w/3x19" VA926; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80 throttle quadrant; TrackIR5: DX10 only.

Markoz
Senior Airman

Post by Markoz »

pj_3 wrote:The Engine is pretty much windmilling on the approach. It's as if there's insufficient drag.
I have to agree!

This baby just doesn't want to come down. My way of getting down is to lose altitude very early and then fly about 100' feet or so above the ground (obstacles permitting) at 50kts to 55kts and then cut the throttle to lose the last 100' or so as fast as possible. I then flare the plane a couple of feet above the runway threshold to bleed the speed off until I gently land. It is better after the patch, but she still doesn't seem to want to come down easily. Not being a real life pilot I can't compare.

I've had no problems at all with my throttle.
Intel Core i7 3770K | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Nvidia GTX470 | 24" LCD Monitor | 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 2TB HDD | Windows 7 Profession 64 bit & Window 8 64 bit

ImageImageImage

BPL
Staff Sergeant

Post by BPL »

Shalomar wrote:Yes, I have environmental at max, voice at max and everything else 50 percent but I can barely distinguish wind noise.

Donald
Donald, have you seen my topic "Great plane! But, a couple of problems" (http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 65&t=19477)? This may be the problem you're experiencing.

skunker
Senior Airman

Post by skunker »

I read on another forum that this is being tweaked. Anyone have any info? Why am I reading this stuff on other forums and not this forum?

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Yes, it has been confirmed just today that there is a fix that is being tested internally. The results thus far are good, so I suspect A2A should have something soon.
ImageImage
ImageImage

JIMJAM
Airman

Post by JIMJAM »

That was probably me. They are aware of the power/drag, prop issue. I will now post any comments I have on the flight model here.

Shalomar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shalomar »

My sound drivers are out of date, I think that is the cause for my not hearing wind noise. One way to find out.

Usually when I am going for a three pointer or any time I get below a certain airspeed in the flair, it is impossible to please Heidi though I seem to settle in fairly gently. Other people have said getting as slow as possible on touchdown keeps Heidi happy, wonder why my experience is different. My wheel landings pretty consistently get compliments.

Donald
Virtual Avgas fits my budget...

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”