Question About Others Engine Wear

Born to fly
Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Question About Others Engine Wear

Post by Roadburner426 »

Hey everyone. I have put about 23.6 hours on the Cub, and right now my engine condition is sitting at Fair. I have it set for the 1800 interval overhaul schedule. I have not beaten/abused the engine. The only thing that I can think that may have contributed is twice I have burned down 2 cubes on the engine oil level. At 10 hours though the conditionwent from Excellent to Good, and then at over 22 hours it went from Good to Fair. Just think it is odd. I have both the P-47, and B377. When the engines blow up on those I usually know why it happened :lol: . I am just at a loss because I have tried to fly this as close to spec as possible and it just seems to me the engine is wearing excessively fast. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: Question About Others Engine Wear

Post by CodyValkyrie »

What RPM are you generally cruising at?
ImageImage
ImageImage

1SgtMajor
Staff Sergeant

Post by 1SgtMajor »

I'm actually in here looking for a different solution to a paint problem..... but sure Glad this question was asked as I too have been a little bewildered and can't seem to find the answer in the docs yet.

I went ahead and overhauled at 18 hours when it dropped to "good"...... but I'm not exactly sure why it went to good.

I've never had to replace any oil, however, I click the "refill" button every now and again.

I usually cruise around 2000 rpm..... but pay actually I'm watching the speed more of keeping between 65-70 mph, unless there seems to be a strong headwind.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

ImageImageImage

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Although the Continental engine is rather stout, running high RPM for too long will generate more wear and tear.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

I have been firewalling it for takeoff, and I usually get 2200RPM about, and I follow their recomendations in the manual for climbing at 55mph. Then I try to cruise at 2000-2100RPM but the needle keeps bouncing slightly. Sometimes depending on how the wind blows it can blow it up to about 2300RPM but I quickly adjust it back down to between 2000-2100RPM. I try my hardest to keep it away from that red line. Is good I'm not the only one killing the engine though.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy

skunker
Senior Airman

Post by skunker »

sounds like you're taking good care of it. I'm already at the 'poor' level and I've only flown maybe 4 hours, LOL. Since it's a game, I kind of treat it like a game...but that will change soon.

Shalomar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shalomar »

I got to 9.5 hours and condition was "poor". In my case I think I know why, my timing reducing throttle when diving to prepare for a loop was off a few times and I went over red-line. Also, I didn't always remember to turn off carb heat before taxi after landing, don't know how much damage is modeled from that.

Donald
Virtual Avgas fits my budget...

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

We discovered a bug in the wear code. It has been fixed in the up and coming patch.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

drmckee
Airman

Post by drmckee »

Glad to see the report of that 'bug', Scott. I have just posted a note
in my club's forum that no matter how much I abused the engine, the
condition did not change. I am terribly disappointed with the Cub after
learning how to fly the P47's engine. I had to overhaul that bad boy several
times before hours started to accumulate on the engine. That was
exactly what I was expecting on this Cub. And, like others here, I
"firewall" it to takeoff, but I just leave it "firewalled", but the engine seems
to suffer no consequence for such abuse.
Accu-sim is ON and I do check the oil level. This was my biggest
source of dissatisfaction so, hopefully the patch release will change
things in that area.
Danny

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Danny, just to make it clear: this engine is certified at 100% power unlimited time. As long as you don't exceed the nominal 2300 RPM engine life will not suffer. But even if you do so it will not fail within a few hours just because you "firewall" it. Don't forget that this very same engine can produce 85 HP at 2700 RPM with only minor modifications. This engine is in no way comparable to a big turbocharged radial. The bug with the present code is - as I understand it - that engine wear is occurring TOO FAST.

Oskar

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Yeah... as general rule of thumb: first read the manual(s) from cover to cover and only THEN consider reporting alleged bugs. It's not the aircraft's fault that you aren't familiar with its real life properties. The same goes for the complaint about the missing mixture lever that the default Cub has but the A2A Cub hasn't. ;)
Happy Landings
- Patrick

drmckee
Airman

Post by drmckee »

lonewulf47 wrote:Danny, just to make it clear: this engine is certified at 100% power unlimited time. As long as you don't exceed the nominal 2300 RPM engine life will not suffer. But even if you do so it will not fail within a few hours just because you "firewall" it. Don't forget that this very same engine can produce 85 HP at 2700 RPM with only minor modifications. This engine is in no way comparable to a big turbocharged radial. The bug with the present code is - as I understand it - that engine wear is occurring TOO FAST.

Oskar

Thanks Oskar. Good post. I appreciate your insight.
Danny

drmckee
Airman

Post by drmckee »

Jigsaw wrote:Yeah... as general rule of thumb: first read the manual(s) from cover to cover and only THEN consider reporting alleged bugs. It's not the aircraft's fault that you aren't familiar with its real life properties. The same goes for the complaint about the missing mixture lever that the default Cub has but the A2A Cub hasn't. ;)
I don't think the 'bug' that Scott has confirmed does exist, was mentioned anywhere in the manual. Too bad you disapprove
of posting the query but I think Scott's admission trumps your displeasure with those of us who post problems you believe
to be unnecessarily posted.

Danny

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

drmckee wrote:I don't think the 'bug' that Scott has confirmed does exist, was mentioned anywhere in the manual. Too bad you disapprove
of posting the query but I think Scott's admission trumps your displeasure with those of us who post problems you believe
to be unnecessarily posted.
I was refering to the "bug" that you were talking about which isn't the bug that Scott confirmed. Again: the real Piper Cub can be firewalled without any significant engine wear. So you think something is a bug that in fact is an accurate representation of the real aircraft's features. Let me quote page 53 (59 in the PDF) of the manual:

"You can hardly do harm to the Continental A-65-8 as long as you don’t over-speed it in a dive with the throttle opened. In fact, despite what
the engine or other manuals might say, you can run it at full throttle (2,300 RPM) all day.
As long as you are moving at a nice speed through
the air, it will not overheat, provided, of course that there is a sufficient quantity of oil circulating in the engine. Of course, you will prolong
the life and health of the engine greatly by running it at no more than 2,150 rpm when in level flight, and never letting it run faster than 2,300
RPM at any time. Use common sense and you will have no trouble from this reliable, tough little powerplant."

The bug that Scott confirmed actually makes the engine degrade too fast, which is the opposite of what you mentioned.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have read the manual and that is why I was puzzled. I have read the entire manual. Which is why when following it pert near to the letter, I was puzzled. Cause it said 100% takeoff power, then roll it back to 2100RPM and climb at 55MPH, and usually leveling it off I had to reduce throttle position to keep it at 2100RPM in level flight. I consider myself to have somewhat of an above average knowledge being a real life aircraft mechanic. I just wanted to query what other people were experiencing to see if it was me or the plane was all. So thanks for the replies.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”