Looking for Challenge?

Born to fly
new reply
Tart
Airman

Looking for Challenge?

Post by Tart »

Hey All,

I was flying my Cub in South America today, I was going from SVCB to SVDW. It looks like elevation for SVDW was put incorrectly into FSX. Imagine hole in a ground with airstrip in a middle :shock: . I think SVDW is excellent airfield for practicing tight maneuvering, take off and landings :D

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Re: Looking for Challenge?

Post by bullfox »

Try Teluride, Colorado, USA. Its a bit over 9000 ft and beautiful mountain scenery, or try Lee Vining, California by coming up through Yosimite.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

Bogusheadbox
Airman

Post by Bogusheadbox »

For a high and very tricky approach, courchevel is one that will test nerves and skill. In real life you need a mountain flying rating before flying into these airports

Courchevel is most famous for its flattened out z appearance. In that the threshold and end of runway are flat with a very steep gradient in between.

I think from memory standard FSX displays Courchevel as only a steep sloping runway, however there is a very good and detailed FREE add on that maps the area and surroundings. This will replicate the runway better.

A video of take off and landing at Courchevel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNFNFZq2BFY

Once you have that one all worked out and what an even better challenge, Lukla is your next stop in Nepal (is it at the base of mount everest ?) Very high and very short with a steep runway. Again there is a brilliant FREE and detailed add on for this airport which is gorgeous. Very very difficult.

I tried this in the Dornier do-27 and if you don't put in full throttle on the up slope, she just does not give enough power to get you over the hill !!!, then you are in real trouble !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqgZvb37 ... re=related

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Courchevel and Lukla should be about the limits of the Cub. I'll be surprised if anyone can get enough power out of it to make it even a viable landing for the plane, especially considering the Continental was most efficient at sea level. I'm sure someone with a lot of time could to it (or slew mode), but I think for most it will not be a viable option. Even a Cessna would do better at these altitudes with a mixture control to help lean it out.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I managed to take off and land the Cub across the WIDTH of the runway at Courchevel during beta testing (mind you the wind was 27 knots at 90° to the runway :shock: :lol: ). I even managed to take off and land on the helipads there too (I have the freeware scenery and the freeware mesh for the Alps).
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”